Proton 4G13/4G15....Satria/Wira/Saga

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
SOHC car - you're just looking at moving your power band here or there only. You won't improve anything much by adjusting the pulley on a stock cam

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i also just ordered a adjustable cam pulley by HKS. its to get ready for the high cam . has anyone experieced any improvement to the acceleration by retarding or advancing the cam timing ?
Before fitting, I would advise you compare it against the timing mark from the original. If possible, take a pic of both side by side for future reference.

Reactions: sanekit

N/A Proton Brudder

May 28, 2018
ya. i knew that. i mean how dramatically does it affect powerband and power delivery throughout the rpm range when using a mild-agressive camshaft ? retard vs advanced. given i advanced my distributor timing by quite a lot already.

N/A Proton Brudder

May 28, 2018
Also was facinga problem starting when using an aftermarket tachometer. i needed one bcz the stock 1.3 one doesnt have an rpm meter built onto the cluster guage. whenever i attatch the signal wire to the (-) side of the distributor terminal,the car would'nt start. just cranking. (no spark?). when i remove the connection, the car starts like normal. How do you guys traditionally set your external tachometer ?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ya. i knew that. i mean how dramatically does it affect powerband and power delivery throughout the rpm range when using a mild-agressive camshaft ? retard vs advanced. given i advanced my distributor timing by quite a lot already.
The more aggressive your cam, you gain high end but low end suffers. I did Advance timing on my former car, gain low end but high end rough....

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Also was facinga problem starting when using an aftermarket tachometer. i needed one bcz the stock 1.3 one doesnt have an rpm meter built onto the cluster guage. whenever i attatch the signal wire to the (-) side of the distributor terminal,the car would'nt start. just cranking. (no spark?). when i remove the connection, the car starts like normal. How do you guys traditionally set your external tachometer ?
why tap at distributor? try check behind your speedo. usually there's rpm wire already in the harness. just need to tap there. or tap from the ecu side.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Changing the cam shaft means you're introducing a change in the lift and duration of the open/close lobe things.. so yes you will get more power with a cam change. The cam pulley does nothing other than shift the powerband around.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Thanks. What colour of the wire should i tap ?otherwise i have to splice one by one until i get an accurate reading on the tacho. i'll update my progress when im free.
i don't know what the color is. you can refer to the pin-out on the location of your rpm wire is, then trace the wire color behind the dash cluster/speedo. tap it there, tap 12v wire from your ignition key, tap lights if any from the signal stalk and ground to body.

Reactions: parakey

N/A Proton Brudder

May 28, 2018
Update: Hey guys great news! i was able to get the tacho running again + New tires.

I just spliced the signal wire to one of the wires connected to the distributor's 6 pin connector. I just had a guesse and splice one by one. Its the 3 pin hole from 1st facing toward front of engine. My guesse that might have been the signal output wire to the ecu reading from the distributor

And i just got hooked up with a set of Kumho PS31 on my 15" JRD rims. Has anyone had an experieced driving on the PS31 by kumho ? performance to price-wise. How is daily driving handling? Aggressive cornering percormance and in the wet ? It feels like a major upgrade from the Sailun Atrezzos that i rode on previously. Now feels not skidding anyomore when hard braking and cornering above 60+kmh. what are your thought on these tyres ?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
And i just got hooked up with a set of Kumho PS31 on my 15" JRD rims. Has anyone had an experieced driving on the PS31 by kumho ? performance to price-wise. How is daily driving handling? Aggressive cornering percormance and in the wet ? It feels like a major upgrade from the Sailun Atrezzos that i rode on previously. Now feels not skidding anyomore when hard braking and cornering above 60+kmh. what are your thought on these tyres ?
Tested these tyres on friend's kelisa. Not bad, handle quite well but did not test them to their limits. However from feedback they are quite good, but not at PS3 or RE003 status, which is actually quite commendable for Kumho tyres and it's pricing. Against your old Sailun tyres sure will be much better......:driver:

N/A Proton Brudder

May 28, 2018
anyone have opinion on GAB SP Series lowered/performance spring for the wira ? how does it hold in cornering performance and will the spring weaken in a year and lowered summore ? givien my shock abs are new (1+ year old)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There might be field hockey and ice hockey but, as anybody that has seen both games played, they share as much in common as a bikini and full-body wetsuit. Another more worthy example for these pages might be Formula One and Nascar.

Though the two might not be associated at all, sharing sponsors has made the jump a little less harsh on the knees lately, especially since Juan Pablo Montoya made the leap...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience