Do Ultra Racing Bars increase Car Safety?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
That is the point. I often hear things like this from my friends when I tell them about fast cars. Always will say "malaysia where can go so fast la, sure infront got car or pothole". I ask them back whether have they taken the acceleration time into consideration. I'll say these cars take a few seconds to reach over 100kmh or 200kmh unlike normal cars. Most of them kept quiet after that. :biggrin:
They were like in their heart "Shit, we are messing with a pro here." :rofl:

One more thing about bars. These bars are metal - they add weight. A LOT of weight. I dunno about Myvi specifically since I only have the torsion beam strengthener (ARB sort of), but on my Wira I had the full set of bars and the rear ARB alone was heavy like mad. The front one no need to imagine is even heavier than the rear one. Then the two side bars are slightly lighter than the bars of my dumbells, front and rear struts are the lightest cuz they are hollow, but even then they are still weighty and add to the cars weight.

So many bars is like sticking 2 cartons of dynamat dampening material. HEAVY. That weight will more than likely be obvious in a stock car.
No wonder you have strong arms, got dumbells at home. But like Renesis mention, maybe using Carbon Fibre bars would help but then again is gonna cost a bomb to put a full set on whole car.

Not common to see carbon ones for sale too.

I thought there are aluminium bars out there? But aluminium might not be strong like metal... BTW, how about CF bars? Are there any of those?

Like this one here... Decoration or CF?
But not commonly seen selling wor. Maybe that was custom? Or maybe imported from over the seas.

Real CF are really expensive woh!....
Full CF bars on one car I think can cost close to a Viva adi? :stoned:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

No wonder you have strong arms, got dumbells at home. But like Renesis mention, maybe using Carbon Fibre bars would help but then again is gonna cost a bomb to put a full set on whole car.

But not commonly seen selling wor. Maybe that was custom? Or maybe imported from over the seas.

Not pro. Just that it din't crossed their mind to put acceleration into account when they talk about speed. They'd probably thought top speed is everything and acceleration is just based on their normal cars like Saga, Wira, Myvi, Vios, etc.... If the acceleration speed is like those cars but top speed is 300kmh, I think need to swerve in and out of the lane don't know how many times only can reach that speed. :rofl:

No CF but still got aluminium. But how does that fare compared to steel?

That STI bar is probably from Japan I guess. It was written on the sticker FHI Fuji Heavy Industries. Aero Space Division.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Not pro. Just that it din't crossed their mind to put acceleration into account when they talk about speed. They'd probably thought top speed is everything and acceleration is just based on their normal cars like Saga, Wira, Myvi, Vios, etc.... If the acceleration speed is like those cars but top speed is 300kmh, I think need to swerve in and out of the lane don't know how many times only can reach that speed. :rofl:

No CF but still got aluminium. But how does that fare compared to steel?

That STI bar is probably from Japan I guess. It was written on the sticker FHI Fuji Heavy Industries. Aero Space Division.
I think steel no matter still harder than aluminum? Logically la. Ya, just reached more than 110km/h on mousedeer again lol just when reach 100km/h if step gradually will climb slower more than that.

Which is why I think those CF bars have to import from over the seas then. Even TRD Strut bars not easy to find for my car. Wing Hin only have cars that is popular for mods. Such as the current FT86

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Strut bars...
Increase safety?
Maybe but no recorded data or proper test.

Increase stability?
Oh yes...

Increase Maintenance?
Definitely, as happen to me my tyre wears out faster, 10k oil change interval feels like 5k km, brakes wears out faster, lower arm kong.
All this due to increases stability which in return 'force' me to go faster around bend.

Trust me, its not my mistake....its the bars...

On CF bars,
from my past exp working in fibre-product manufacturing, yes it is stronger than steel and cost much higher as the material cost.if u were to calculate the exact amount of CF used then i believe the CF bar will be only a fraction higher priced compared to steel bars. Its due to the waste CF the do not use.
In order for the bar to be strong it must be from one sheet of CF therefore creating a lot of waster.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
CF Bars, CF Drive shafts, CF bits and pieces, aren't something that you'd wanna use on Malaysian roads. Strong as steel, but as brittle as glass. All you need is the right impact at the right angle and there goes your few thousand ringgit especially on a part that's supposed to make your car rigid. But in a controlled environment like the track it's ideal.

Having said that, I'm not saying cars like my all-time-fav Agera S will shatter into a million pieces on M'sian roads. Different process in making the CF weaving will result in different tensile strength and shock resistance. Or something like that. Koenigsegg managed to make theirs pretty tough hence their ballsy CF rims.

Anyway, I've personally seen a carbon drive shaft on a Porsche and CF bars on a BMW. They are amazingly light and supposedly super strong, but at what cost? The drive shaft costs well into the 4 figures range and the bars can buy all my bars on my car and still allow me to do a full paint job.

Cost effectiveness. I'm sure they work well, but I'd rather spend on the cheaper alternative and sacrifice some weight than to blow thousands of bucks buying CF. DIY-er scrooge mentality. :biggrin:

As for aluminum, not many manufacturers make for other car makes and is usually specially made a car make like the Evos, Astons and all. Light weight chassis bracing bars that are non-cf.

Actually if you think about it, this bars market is pretty much monopolized by UR. The other brands like UTR and 3Max are slowly dying off and even MCMs featured UR bars on Martys MX5 build. Cusco, Carbing and all these brands are just too expensive to buy locally.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
CF Bars, CF Drive shafts, CF bits and pieces, aren't something that you'd wanna use on Malaysian roads. Strong as steel, but as brittle as glass. All you need is the right impact at the right angle and there goes your few thousand ringgit especially on a part that's supposed to make your car rigid. But in a controlled environment like the track it's ideal.

Having said that, I'm not saying cars like my all-time-fav Agera S will shatter into a million pieces on M'sian roads. Different process in making the CF weaving will result in different tensile strength and shock resistance. Or something like that. Koenigsegg managed to make theirs pretty tough hence their ballsy CF rims.

Anyway, I've personally seen a carbon drive shaft on a Porsche and CF bars on a BMW. They are amazingly light and supposedly super strong, but at what cost? The drive shaft costs well into the 4 figures range and the bars can buy all my bars on my car and still allow me to do a full paint job.

Cost effectiveness. I'm sure they work well, but I'd rather spend on the cheaper alternative and sacrifice some weight than to blow thousands of bucks buying CF. DIY-er scrooge mentality. :biggrin:

As for aluminum, not many manufacturers make for other car makes and is usually specially made a car make like the Evos, Astons and all. Light weight chassis bracing bars that are non-cf.

Actually if you think about it, this bars market is pretty much monopolized by UR. The other brands like UTR and 3Max are slowly dying off and even MCMs featured UR bars on Martys MX5 build. Cusco, Carbing and all these brands are just too expensive to buy locally.
Cusco good but exps. As for 3Max, from what I got info, they are not that keen in doing strut bars, also if they do, they would only custom make if there are demand in the market. They are not like UR bars where they already have ready made for most cars. 3MAX just do for certain cars and only if can generate profit by custom making one for a particular car. If not they won't do. Example my jetta they won't do it cuz not much demand.

They said is better than UR bars in terms of improve handling and quality as they do test it nicely if they were to custom make one on a car.

(Wah Hornysex Agera your dream car) :top:
I like the Ford GT or at least the Mustang Shelby GT500

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Cusco good but exps. As for 3Max, from what I got info, they are not that keen in doing strut bars, also if they do, they would only custom make if there are demand in the market. They are not like UR bars where they already have ready made for most cars. 3MAX just do for certain cars and only if can generate profit by custom making one for a particular car. If not they won't do. Example my jetta they won't do it cuz not much demand.

They said is better than UR bars in terms of improve handling and quality as they do test it nicely if they were to custom make one on a car.

(Wah Hornysex Agera your dream car) :top:
I like the Ford GT or at least the Mustang Shelby GT500
Actually, has anyone really tested the difference between different brands like UR, 3Max, Cusco, Dsport, etc? When I say test, it's not normal guy butt test. It's gonna be a formal test with readings and maybe a butt feel from a professional driver on a track. Because you see, the designs and mounting points are almost identical among different brands. So if the shape and mounting point are the same, the thing that matters is the material used. Harder, lighter, softer, lower tensile strength, yield strength, and so on...

Also, we often hear people saying oh cusco is good compared to UR, or UR is good compared to 3max, or vice versa. It seems that they more they pay, the greater the placebo effect. Of course we can't compare with imitations. From the look itself we can tell that it's rubbish. Want I am eager to see is a comparison between branded ones.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Actually, has anyone really tested the difference between different brands like UR, 3Max, Cusco, Dsport, etc? When I say test, it's not normal guy butt test. It's gonna be a formal test with readings and maybe a butt feel from a professional driver on a track. Because you see, the designs and mounting points are almost identical among different brands. So if the shape and mounting point are the same, the thing that matters is the material used. Harder, lighter, softer, lower tensile strength, yield strength, and so on...

Also, we often hear people saying oh cusco is good compared to UR, or UR is good compared to 3max, or vice versa. It seems that they more they pay, the greater the placebo effect. Of course we can't compare with imitations. From the look itself we can tell that it's rubbish. Want I am eager to see is a comparison between branded ones.
Only feedbacks from users of ex-ultra racing that convert to 3Max, especially the rear ATR bar. Feedback is that the car corners better than the UR atr bar

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I think steel no matter still harder than aluminum? Logically la. Ya, just reached more than 110km/h on mousedeer again lol just when reach 100km/h if step gradually will climb slower more than that.

Which is why I think those CF bars have to import from over the seas then. Even TRD Strut bars not easy to find for my car. Wing Hin only have cars that is popular for mods. Such as the current FT86
You try and go halfcut shop to find TRD Strut bar. :biggrin:

BTW, it is no longer called FT86. Now is only 86 at Japan. ZN6 for 86 while ZC6 for BRZ.

I think the only few CF parts that might be worth using over here are probably CF hoods, CF fender, CF GT wing/Spoiler... There is this thread going on now about damaged CF lip on BMW E90...:banghead:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Don't think there is. All just marketing and butt feel.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Only feedbacks from users of ex-ultra racing that convert to 3Max, especially the rear ATR bar. Feedback is that the car corners better than the UR atr bar
That's the thing. Corner faster, but is it recorded or just butt feel. Or did the person revert to UR and try to replicate that speed? To me, this is very subjective coz it depends on what the driver wants and the purpose of installing one. Whether you want the specific part of the body to be very rigid, rigid, or slightly rigid compared to stock. The outcome of a setup could be good on track but bad on public roads which surface is very uneven.

UR made a video showing how their products increases the G a car can make at corners, but no comparison with others..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Real CF are really expensive woh!....
I thought there are aluminium bars out there? But aluminium might not be strong like metal... BTW, how about CF bars? Are there any of those?

Like this one here... Decoration or CF?
This one I'm not sure. The one at pic is friend's father's car. He claimed his dad opened halfcut shop business but I'm not sure how true is that because he seems to be rather secretive when he talks about his father. Maybe get from halfcut...

the CF strut bar is exclusive for Subaru STI model...it was very light....but regarding the stiffness still more or less similar as the subaru aluminium bar....

if compared to proper tough steel like UR bar...because due to rigid design UR bar should fared better...

what is ATR bar ???

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Disagree bro SC. The 3MAX rear ARB design is different compare to UR. And you look at the front lower brace bar, UR (4points) & Dsport (6points). The Dsport having a better design and the performance should be different. Need bro Ixeo to clarify this.

@cvkit, previously saw ppl post at forum saying that the 3Max rear ARB is good but the mounting points broke or cracked due to 3Max design. Too many force to the mounting and causes it breaks.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually, has anyone really tested the difference between different brands like UR, 3Max, Cusco, Dsport, etc?
No one has had the motivation to do it. Where's the gain? Anyway I remember seeing UR doing a comparison between its original bars vs copies and imitation bars, the quality and finishing was significantly different in terms of the mounting points and welded joints. To me that's plenty enough to believe that UR makes better products in terms of quality.

In terms of usage it's all about using your own judgment and deciding which one will work best for you.

ARB la kns... confusing people. And that ARB you're talking about is the Myvi ARB from 3Max. That one has had issues with the mounting points tearing off. Having said that there has been problems with the UR thicker 19mm (or was it 21?) ARB being too stiff and tearing the mounting points off too.

Some cars just weren't designed to be that stiff la.. Look at the H-beam design for the rear crossmember. It's not designed to be stiff and probably has to twist a bit. Stiffening it with all these bars will not produce any good results la. That's my 2 cents worth of opinions though.

UR made a video showing how their products increases the G a car can make at corners, but no comparison with others..
And get into trouble with possibly people suing them? UR has always been very very cautious with their business approach. Which also explains how they can maintain their premium price compared to their competitors.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nano Glass Coating make sure that the windscreen is water and dirt repellent which can
improve driving safety in rain and also provide better night vision.

A little bit about the company...
Jc International
Founded in Malaysia in 1998, JC International has since grown tremendously both in scale and scope.
From Machinery and spare part trading, we have expanded into trading in speciality chemicals and consumer products; into the mixing industrial...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience