What Makes a Good (Bad) Driver?

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I'm sure you know a friend that admits openly that he is a very talented, amazing driver, the kind of guy that says "i can smoke you anytime using any car, brah", and you think to yourself well I drive kinda good too. What makes you think you're the better driver?

I know these thoughts and sayings are purely egoistical, but what do you think makes a good driver?

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Very subjective. Doing a lap time? Avoiding an accident? Shifting properly? Maneuver without much bodyshift for comfort...
Hmmm...
any car? what if you are driving a ferrari & he is driving a kancil?
...i dont know. I've been watching a lot of videos on evo 9s racing on gohtong and i wonder whether these are the type of good drivers. I mean is it a skill if you can drive 180kmh zigzagging on a busy road or is it a skill to be the fastest down a hill?

What justifies a person when they say that they are a good driver? I guess it all goes down to doing a lap time eh to find out who's the best out of the best, no?

**I always think of Jeremy Clarkson's quote whenever someone says that he's a good driver; "Driving is like sex, everyone thinks they're good at it."**

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I'm sure you know a friend that admits openly that he is a very talented, amazing driver, the kind of guy that says "i can smoke you anytime using any car, brah", and you think to yourself well I drive kinda good too. What makes you think you're the better driver?

I know these thoughts and sayings are purely egoistical, but what do you think makes a good driver?
Guess Danz answered your questions haha!
Zigzagging in busy road or speeding up goh tong aint skilled or good driver to me. By putting others in danger, they are actually called Idiot/Arsehole drivers.

Just go to those TimeAttack or real race on track and prove it among the other great drivers la. Race within the streets with young punks that have almost no experience on track. Win also get nothing. More like Racing with an amateur or a retard only. Makes himself another idiot driver as well.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
just join ZTH TTA, if u make it to the top 3 then u are a good/skilled driver.
yes and no

making into top 3 does prove that you may have the best skill but it also down to how much you spend in your car, personal vs. workshop cars. Not everyone have as much funding as workshop cars, so you can be the best skill driver out there but without funding you are not going to be top 3 in TTA most likely (check out all the top 3 results in TTA in any category)

having said that, drive safe everyone :)

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Number 1 in track or fastest timeattack lap is not a good driver for me. That is a good skill driver in the track.

As a good driver in public road, giving a proper signal when turning, did not tailgate any one, patience in road, never cut queue during traffic jam or jam on the traffic light area and gentleman enough and let other users come out from junction. i pretty respect this kind of driver and thumb up for them. Anyway, i'm practicing this and hope other road users will practice the same way. Malaysia will have a better road harmony.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Number 1 in track or fastest timeattack lap is not a good driver for me. That is a good skill driver in the track.

As a good driver in public road, giving a proper signal when turning, did not tailgate any one, patience in road, never cut queue during traffic jam or jam on the traffic light area and gentleman enough and let other users come out from junction. i pretty respect this kind of driver and thumb up for them. Anyway, i'm practicing this and hope other road users will practice the same way. Malaysia will have a better road harmony.
Yup. That's makes a good driver for public roads. I'm practicing that as well. Trying to be nice to others on the road makes me feel better than trying to be an ass.

Unless a person who wish to cuts into my lane without signal, then sorry. I will not let u pass.
Especially queue cutters as well.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The better driver in Gran Turismo 6 in identical cars is the better driver.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
The better driver in Gran Turismo 6 in identical cars is the better driver.
Same like Racing Rivals Drag Races. Race same car, same spec, whoever won is the better driver? haha!

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
...i dont know. I've been watching a lot of videos on evo 9s racing on gohtong and i wonder whether these are the type of good drivers. I mean is it a skill if you can drive 180kmh zigzagging on a busy road or is it a skill to be the fastest down a hill?

What justifies a person when they say that they are a good driver? I guess it all goes down to doing a lap time eh to find out who's the best out of the best, no?

**I always think of Jeremy Clarkson's quote whenever someone says that he's a good driver; "Driving is like sex, everyone thinks they're good at it."**
Those are balls only. Maybe good but endangering lives so they are dumb.
That is true. But have to rmbr the Chinese saying "Theres always one mountain that is higher than another mountain" WTF translation ahahhahaha.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
YS Khong. He's a damn good driver off the track and on the track.

Ian Khong and Ivan Khong all are awesome drivers. Dunno about off track though.

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

Guess Danz answered your questions haha!
Zigzagging in busy road or speeding up goh tong aint skilled or good driver to me. By putting others in danger, they are actually called Idiot/Arsehole drivers.
Just go to those TimeAttack or real race on track and prove it among the other great drivers la. Race within the streets with young punks that have almost no experience on track. Win also get nothing. More like Racing with an amateur or a retard only. Makes himself another idiot driver as well.
Those are balls only. Maybe good but endangering lives so they are dumb.
That is true. But have to rmbr the Chinese saying "Theres always one mountain that is higher than another mountain" WTF translation ahahhahaha.
There's one video of an evo 9 almost crashing into a taxi when he lost control of his car on Gohtong. nearly hit the divider also. very scary

I used to be the typical douche bag young punk just-got-his-driver's-license driver, but then I realized i'm just endangering so many people on the road, trying to prove that guy tailgating behind me that i'm the better driver. It's just not worth it, i completely agree with you guys. I practice the proper etiquette now too, unless when the highway is empty. Nothing better than an empty highway :biggrin:

yes and no

making into top 3 does prove that you may have the best skill but it also down to how much you spend in your car, personal vs. workshop cars. Not everyone have as much funding as workshop cars, so you can be the best skill driver out there but without funding you are not going to be top 3 in TTA most likely (check out all the top 3 results in TTA in any category)

having said that, drive safe everyone :)
that's what i thought too. Imagine if Lewis Hamilton goes up against Sebastien Loeb, where everything is balanced, and to win is purely based on skills. That would be an interesting watch. :driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

YS is ex race and rally driver. Both sons also have track experience.....:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

There is a story i heard from Ian Khong himself haha! That one day cant remember which road, there was a roadblock up ahead, and then Brothers and YS Khong (shud be the dad I think). One of them started drifting down the corners, then the other 2 follow suit as well. Then right in front got roadblock and was stopped by the police but cant remember what he said about the police asking them. But the cops let them go. :rofl:

but was late at night no cars.

There's one video of an evo 9 almost crashing into a taxi when he lost control of his car on Gohtong. nearly hit the divider also. very scary

I used to be the typical douche bag young punk just-got-his-driver's-license driver, but then I realized i'm just endangering so many people on the road, trying to prove that guy tailgating behind me that i'm the better driver. It's just not worth it, i completely agree with you guys. I practice the proper etiquette now too, unless when the highway is empty. Nothing better than an empty highway :biggrin:

that's what i thought too. Imagine if Lewis Hamilton goes up against Sebastien Loeb, where everything is balanced, and to win is purely based on skills. That would be an interesting watch. :driver:
Ya empty highway, as long not endangering anyone, having a bit of fun is fine actually haha!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greetings to all, *
If any readers are contemplating a BMW or already owning a BMW, please allow me to share my experience. Below is my email to BMW Malaysia.. *

-Quote- *

I purchased the above vehicle as pre-reg unit from Ingress Auto early 2012. I was initially sceptical on buying a used vehicle *but after the salesperson convinced me that the vehicle comes with a 5 year warranty and free maintenance, I went ahead with the purchase. Additionally, BMW's distinction in its Customer...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience