Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyota Altezza SXE10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hgbee

Known Member
Feb 15, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
hi, im 17 years old this year and im buying a car next year ( parents pays for the deposit and id pay for the rest)

What's your opinion of buying a 320i e46 vs buying an altezza?
With the altezza, i'd be able to mod the car easier. but my dad would be much happier to buy the 320i for me because it's a bmw and it's luxury car. mainstream media. i know right.

first post on this forum by the way. sorry if i post it on the wrong board :)
if you have any suggestions on a car that's around 40-50k , 4 door ,do tell :)
(still trying to learn more about automotives. getting my first car will begin my automotive journey :D)

Last edited:

norick

Known Member
Mar 28, 2006
Do u know what is under steer, over steer? ABS kick-in?
Hv u tried or felt car skidding? or the force of bang something?
Thats all the situation will face by new driver on board.

If ur family can afford that u start learning with ur BMW or Altezza..
then why not ? Any car will do... (perhaps the BMW will protect u better in any situation..)

Last.. the price of the used car is not equal to the price of repair / parts..
more info or correction welcome...

hgbee

Known Member
Feb 15, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Do u know what is under steer, over steer? ABS kick-in?
Hv u tried or felt car skidding? or the force of bang something?
Thats all the situation will face by new driver on board.

If ur family can afford that u start learning with ur BMW or Altezza..
then why not ? Any car will do... (perhaps the BMW will protect u better in any situation..)

Last.. the price of the used car is not equal to the price of repair / parts..
more info or correction welcome...
Under & over steer, a.b.s i know them. Ive never felt a car skidding tho haha. My dad's going to pay for the deposit and ill be working part time during college to pay forthe rest of the car. Is the maintenance cost of the bmw very expensive?

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

E46's maintenance cost will be more expensive than Altezza...
Ahh i seee :) quite a few people told me that before. thanks for the info :)

hgbee

Known Member
Feb 15, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I forgot to add in it needs to be a four door as ill be having passengers as well :) thanks! :)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
BMW 320i, classy and fits every situation. Conti refinement of hard to match. Afterall, it is the ultimate driving machine.
I am not a BMW salesman nor against Toyota. BMW parts are still available in new, prices can be OK, if you know the places to source.

Aftermarket parts are easy to get, but premium. Try do a search on Ebay and you'll know it is true.

Both car are reliable, everyday ride, and I don't think they are hard to maintain.

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Altezza for sure :proud: ha ha ha ...

BMW only the powerful model are fun to drive. i.e 325i or 328i which are automatic btw.
320i lacks power....

Altezza is more expensive to buy but cheap to maintain. If you are into modifying without killing your pocket then this is the car for u.

BMW cheap to buy but expensive to repair and maintain.

Your choice....:biggrin: Dont listen to me go do some research in http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/newforums/index.php?/forum/85-e46/ forum

Last edited:

wazza

Known Member
Jan 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
from someone who HAD a bmw engine, now riding with JDM engine.

cooling system for bmw (radiators, hoses, fan, wiring) rm 4500 k. Receipts to prove.
cooling system for 2JZ (radiator,hoses, fan , wiring ) rm 2200 ish. receipts to prove.

everything in a bmw is a ll about ELECTRONIC THIS AND THAT. Harsh weather,potholes, humidity - these factors will kill em all.
JDM items are built for ASIAN weather. You'll not be seeing sensors fail as often.

e46 owner, me.

painful as hell, when you see your mntnnce bill.
not so painful when you see your JDM engine MODDING bill.

or do yourself a favour and get an EVO or Impreza.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
from someone who HAD a bmw engine, now riding with JDM engine.

cooling system for bmw (radiators, hoses, fan, wiring) rm 4500 k. Receipts to prove.
cooling system for 2JZ (radiator,hoses, fan , wiring ) rm 2200 ish. receipts to prove.

everything in a bmw is a ll about ELECTRONIC THIS AND THAT. Harsh weather,potholes, humidity - these factors will kill em all.
JDM items are built for ASIAN weather. You'll not be seeing sensors fail as often.

e46 owner, me.

painful as hell, when you see your mntnnce bill.
not so painful when you see your JDM engine MODDING bill.

or do yourself a favour and get an EVO or Impreza.
At the price of E46 or Altezza, can get Impreza WRX STI GC8 already. For ori evo, maybe not but converted evo from Lancer CK then can.... But at the end, maintenance and fuel consumption for evo and impreza will be expensive.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For one who's getting a first car, get one that's the most reliable while being the simplest and cheapest to maintain if anything brakes, and BMW is NOT known for those. Also I agree with one of the above posting that the 320i E46 is under powered, so not fun to drive. Thus go with the Altezza 6 speed.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
since many had highlighted cost of maintenance, then instead of worry of repairing this and that, might as well as buy a new car with the same budget. Peace of mind for sure, and suits nicely for those who are new to driving (17 years old right?)

What is most important = Reliable car + Learn driving, gain experience.....then upgrade to something else.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If practice so far is anything to go by, the high tyre degradation being experienced at Sepang by the Formula one teams will turn this Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix into a highly tactical affair that will see the best strategy to conserve tyres bring about a victor.

The high track temperatures and abrasive surface of the Sepang International...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience