Radiator - to change or not to change?

Oct 29, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

Just bought a secondhand car and the radiator is filled with really brown water... seeing that is the case and the cost of servicing it will say cost RM100 & the cost to replace the to plastic panel at the top is another RM200.... do you guys think I should just fork out another RM100 extra to get an aftermarket celup radiator?

Are there any hidden cost that I'm missing here?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
try your luck by flushing it first....

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
The muddy water isn't caused by the radiator. It comes out from the engine block. Just clean your radiator if no leak no clog there. I would bet you will still get the muddy water even after you change a new one.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Be careful when buying aftermarket 'cap ayam' radiator. I learned this the hard way. My RM200+ 'cap ayam' radiator had massive leak, causing engine overheat. My engine head and block warped. It caused me more than RM2k to do full engine overhaul. The radiator is only one-year old... :mad:

RevMesh

Known Member
Jul 20, 2004
hi dude, tell forumners what ur car make and model. as for proton the top cover shud not exceed 120, and flushing service about 80 bucks with seal. that price u mentioned is a rip-off.

NoDirecTIoN

Mar 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
use back the ori rad...just flush the rad, then let clean water flow thru the piping to get rid of most of the muck, refill then let the engine run...repeat if the water still turns murky. alternative is to send to those places where they have the flushing machine. that'll clean the block really well... regarding the plastic cover, if its not leaking y change?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Agree with bro. arturo. Flush the radiator and at same time the engine block. Remove top radiator hose, start engine and let it run while filling water into the radiator. Flush until water comes out clean. After that fit back add water to fill but do not add coolant yet. After a week check the radiator again, if muddy again, do another flush.
When I have my engine transplant, I had to flush like 4 times to get it really clean, thereafter only add coolant to the radiator...

Oct 29, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hmmmm okay guys, looks like flushing is the way to go about it. My top cover has those scratch mark already, perhaps is the first sign of cracking? Car engine is a 4G93.

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
ayam brand aluminium rad cost about rm300++
not so difficult to diy
my 93p used it about 2 years till now...no prob

sakos

Jul 5, 2004
Yesterday I realised that my extra water tank and radiator full or mud ( karat ) Drive back home temp increase so have to stop a few pump petrol to cool down. Once I open up my hood the water tank full of mud water, does it mean my radiator tersumbat? I dont see any leaking on the floor where I park my car so. Should I send for service the radiator or but a new one? The cheapest I can get is RM130 for Satria 1.3 2005. If send for flush around RM80. I am afraid later send for flush at the end still same problem so have to spend again RM RM. Any advise??? Urgent!

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Confirm karat water not sludge?
Water got decrease?

Hard to say what is the problem.
Might be :
1.Termosthat
2. Sensor

Learn to DIY la bro, put coolant inside + Distilled water.
If DIY fail and car overheated dont blame me.:biggrin:

sakos

Jul 5, 2004
Confirm karat water not sludge?
Water got decrease?

Hard to say what is the problem.
Might be :
1.Termosthat
2. Sensor

Learn to DIY la bro, put coolant inside + Distilled water.
If DIY fail and car overheated dont blame me.:biggrin:
Its karat confirm. Coz yesterday nite I open the water tank and flush full of karat. So the tank is clear but I am sure inside radiator still full of karat coz I open the radiator cap I can see all the brown colour water. I try to open the bottom cap to release radiator water but engine cover block the cap. I cant find wat to open the botton engine cover. Damn!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi , jz wanna ask how much air (kPa) usually bump for 205/50/16 tyres? anyone?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience