What happened to our Motorsport scene?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
When Bt. Tiga was operational, had a lot of spectators right? Sepang Circuit is so far away, and have to pay parking in the middle of no where (WTF?). Drifting got spectators, why? Cause its accessible, people don't have to go to Sepang which is in the middle of the backyard of plantation workers.

at the end of the day, we are where we are thanks to the government.

EDIT: Where am I? At home chilling lah. Why I want to go Sepang which is in the middle of no where, pay toll, pay parking, and watch a bunch of foreigners dominate a race?

Last edited:

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
In a way, I agree with our bro here. Track days, Time Attacks, MSS, S1k and MME, these events dont really generate a lot of spectators and fans. I still remember when I was racing in MSS (and if some of you didnt know, its called Malaysian Super Series), we always called each other "syok sendiri". Why? Because the grandstands would be empty. Only people directly involved in the event and teams would be there. Occasionally we have some friends and family come watch us race. The only time when there were a lot of spectators when MSS became the support race for Japan Super GT. Other than that, its more like a private race/track day.
You couldnt blame the sponsors either. How are they to sponsor if there are not many spectators. Without exposure, money sponsored would more liked thrown in the drain.

So I concur with our bro here. Motorsports without fans is not motorsports. So everybody must chip in and do their part by "BEING THERE" during events. With spectators, sponsors will come. With Sponsors, there would be money. With Money, motorsports will go on. Food For thought...:wavey:
Thats my point..its the same for S1K, SNF...more people in the pit than grandstand...

Even F1 can't be success in US due to lack of spectator..i doubt there are no sponsor or no government support there.

A foreigner (with his family, Japanese wife) meet me while im parking my car during MMER recently. "Is this the public parking? Today got race right? Where's the spectator?"
I just smiled cynically..:hmmmm:

When Bt. Tiga was operational, had a lot of spectators right? Sepang Circuit is so far away, and have to pay parking in the middle of no where (WTF?). Drifting got spectators, why? Cause its accessible, people don't have to go to Sepang which is in the middle of the backyard of plantation workers.

at the end of the day, we are where we are thanks to the government.

EDIT: Where am I? At home chilling lah. Why I want to go Sepang which is in the middle of no where, pay toll, pay parking, and watch a bunch of foreigners dominate a race?
Which means most people, when got nothing to do, then go watch race la..no true motorsport blood...

Later ask government to organize rally event behind your house...:driver:

I think the unsuitable location is just an excuse..last time we come from Ipoh to Batu Tiga to watch cub prix (supporting a team from Ipoh)..finish race directly go home...

Only GT class won by foreigner (driver)...Sports and Touring won by Malaysian Team (Nexus and Type R) :wavey:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So are you blaming the media that's covering these events or are you blaming the lack of general public support now?

I'm confused. :confused:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Motorsport is dying why:
1) No sponsor cos our taxation system does not allow sufficient tax write off for sponsorship.
Furthermore who can sponsor is very restrictive. There is no incentives for company to sponsor.
2) Our exchange rate getting bad to worse due to printing money...Performance parts are getting costly.
3) No media coverage in newspaper and national TV.
4) Govt should provide yearly budget to run motorsport event. I am sure few millions is loose change given the wastage that goes on today!!!!.
5) Decent prize money...not like what is given out for MME...so pathetic...

Note all the point above are interrelated. One will drive the other.
If you have all of the above the the public interest and spectators will come.......

Start by applying the above to our local MSS races...as a pilot project then decide if motorsport has future in Malaysia.....

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

BTW can someone explain to me why this year the MME was the worst since inception.!!!!
Over the last 3 years the numbers has been declining....why?
Cars on the grid barely 30..... the grandstand mall area was dead with no stalls or events.

Looks like the organizer was not bothered.....:banghead:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
All these issues and money problem....indirectly caused some (irresponsible) drivers to take racing to the street. Illegal racing. and endangers other road users.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
All these issues and money problem....indirectly caused some (irresponsible) drivers to take racing to the street. Illegal racing. and endangers other road users.
That was what the Saturday night race in Batu Tiga were about, to legalized those jokers to race in confined area away from Public, but then the track now also gone.....:banghead:

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
So are you blaming the media that's covering these events or are you blaming the lack of general public support now?

I'm confused. :confused:
Both...but the main reason of course the lack of support from us (fan/spectator/supporter)...

Media, either newspapers, television, internet, magazines, purpose is for business...collect profit while spreading news/info/story....

To gain money they depends on advertisement for the other party...they all have the same nature of business..

To gain big money they need to increase the viewer..by providing suitable story/news...that attract lots of interest...

No wonder why motorsport got only a small portion of coverage in the news...compared to football as an example...(you support EPL..:stupid: they all foreigners...:hmmmm:..)

It's all start with our support, either as participants or spectators..
Then lots of coverage from media will come along...now they realize malaysian really loves motorsport, better take advantage of it...
When the viewer increase, advertisement/sponsor/funder will flood in..:wavey:

In the end, you can't force people to support things that they don't like...

I loves motorsport..:driver:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Waiora_ProTuner.... you do have a point...there...the only issue is even I miss some of the events in sepang due to lack of information. I wasnt aware MSS is running over the weekend. I am on Sepang facebook (which is free and effective form of advertisement) and yet they also very slow with updates...

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
Another blow to Joe Public in the motorsport arena

RON97 now RM3 per litre
The price for premium petrol RON97 has gone up by 30 sen to RM3 a litre.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

RON97 now RM3 per litre
Wah! they reduce 10sen then another 10sen then shoot up 30sen.......k-n-n loh.......:banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
no problems...even if they come out with cheapest ron91 or ron88 petrol i can live with that.....

but don't bother with race engines.....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006

RON97 now RM3 per litre
Maybe this is the coming-election stunt, playing bad cop, good cop thing...

The govt (purposely) increase price of petrol..Rakyat complained. At the same time, cronies can make quick buck from the price increase.

The govt then pretend to be perihatin and sensitive, always listen to the woes of rakyat (konon).

The govt then reduced the petrol price. Taking all the credit, and so-called saved the rakyat from hardship. The govt suddenly become hero. Yay!

Rakyat (unknowingly) kena conned (again), and will feel terhutang budi to the govt. And support the Govt.

Repeat process.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh! so a 30sen decrease will come later on, rakyat happy, G also happy because they spend zero.......:banghead:

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Haha...you all kaya-kaya one...use ron97...sure need to support us miskin-miskin one..

Does the current crude oil price increasing?
(just checked, it increasing maa...almost 50% increase since last 4 month)
5% increase compared to the same date last year..

But not as bad as crude oil price earlier this year.
Anyway RM3 is the highest ever I think (for Malaysia)..very bad...

I don't think this will affect motorsport..mostly use racing fuel maa..lot more expensive...

luqae

Known Member
Dec 4, 2008
i will not be surprised if one day, sepang would only be used for f1 and concert, if one day we lost f1 and japan gt it will be totally converted into a concert area, and the only reason they would keep the track is because malaysia is a majority muslim country and not to offend the majority. haha

and the only reason why there are no sponsor is because there is no spectactor, organizer is not doing anything to promote local event they just promote f1 and motor gp to keep the contract alive, and i doubt people in malaysia dont like motorsport because theres a lot of people going for f1 and japan gp,motor gp even cubprix got a lot of spectactor and sponsor. but event like mss,mme and even mrc, the organizer have no effort in promoting, for them its just for rich guy hobbies and i doubt they have passion in expanding the motorsport scene. they should bring ppl who are really passionate to run sic especially those in the grassroot scene theres those from wheelspins,gra,snf,time to attack sepang or even conemaster, even with limited resources they could bring a lot of spectactor and coverage and i bet this guy could bring more participant then mme or mss, yeah motorsport is expensive but look at cubprix they can do it(i know the cost is less) and theres a lot of billboard on them, because companies know ppl are viewing cubprix. but auto racing? haha i have approach lots of sponsor and when they ask regarding the exposure the get? they are turnoff as there's only blog,facebook and magazine. even in sport section in news there's no coverage, even the most chikai newspaper there's no news on malaysia motorsport. and if there is it once in a blue moon.

so fuck the problem is the organizer nobody else, bring the people who are really passionate about expanding our motorsport scene(those i mention above) together and there might be a future. but what the hell im a keyboard warrior what i say would never be heard. so better off go overseas and race there go india better, there for 40k u can get one whole season for polo cup.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The RCA track day, still the definitive choice for circuit enthusiasts, had a recent event last last Saturday. Seeing over 70 cars at each event with a blend of Malaysian and Singaporean junkies. For starters, It allows exchange of drool-worthy views of cars from both countries, and of course a friendly showdown in skills on the circuit...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience