First Impression: VW Golf R - 2012 TSI Turbo 4WD

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Downsizing. It can be a fairly dirty word; in today’s world of budget, travel, and cost-cutting, it’s no wonder why people generally don’t like the term. In the car industry, this doesn’t necessarily equate to a bad thing. Take the most hardcore Golf as an example; it has dropped the ‘32’ moniker, along with the previous 3.2-litre VR6, replaced instead by a 2.0-litre turbo. While some motoring purists will lament this downsizing exercise, for me it make a lot of sense, especially considering today’s petrol prices. Read on, our Test Drive / Review of the MK VI Golf R

The common misconception is that this Golf R shares the same EA888 powerplant fitted to the Mk6 Golf GTI. It doesn’t; instead, the Mk6 Golf R uses the EA113 engine from the Mk5 Golf GTI, reinforced and with new, alloy cylinder heads, uprated pistons, high-pressure fuel injectors, along with a new turbo set at 1.2bar of boost. The result from this? The Mk6 Golf R makes 270PS at 6,000rpm and 350Nm at 2,500rpm, easily besting the Mk5 Golf R32. Equipped with a six-speed DSG box, the Golf R is able to complete the zerotohundred sprint in 5.5secs.

Lots of Golfs have those 'R' LEDs on the rear nowadays, but not all of them have central mounted tailpipes.

From the front, quite easy to mistaken for a regular TSI.

Having heard of my recent obsession with VW cars, Zaibi Motors offered me the chance to have a brief test drive of the Golf R they had in their showroom. Completely easy to drive slow, it is when you plant your foot in the accelerator, when the ultimate surge forwards, that you realize that the R is a completely different machine altogether from the GTI. My eyes peeled back as I watched the blue-lit speedo climb rapidly towards 150mph with effortless ease. In corners, the combination of Haldex all-wheel drive and XDS active diff system works brilliantly keeping the Golf planted to tarmac. I will remember for a very long time the speeds I carried into and out of one of my favourite corners. This brief first impression was enough for me to scratch the GTI away in my imaginary garage; replaced instead by this hottest hot-hatch from Volkswagen.

Central mounted twin tailpipes for the R.

More R badgery on the rear, along with LED tail lights.

R detailings inside remind you that you're in something special. More stealth than a GTI.

Happy to go fast, happy to go slow. Happy when munching corners.

Volkswagen has yet to sell the Golf R in Malaysia, so I’ll have to wait very patiently to get my hands on a test unit to come up with a more extensive report. In the meantime, folks who are waiting for the arrival of the Golf R; wait no more. The one you see in pictures here is actually available for sale from Zaibi Motors (contact details below). They also have a stunning Scirocco R for sale; both of which are UK spec models. Perhaps if you mention Zerotohundred, you might be able to get a better price(!).

For 'Roc enthusiasts, Zaibi Motors also has one unit of the Scirocco R...

Zaibi Motors
Lot 61 Jalan Maarof Bangsar
Kuala Lumpur, 59000
Wilayah Persekutuan
Tel: +603 2283 1737

Golf R (UK spec brochure)
Zerotohundred: 5.5secs
Top Speed: 250km/h (limited)
Engine: 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder, direct injection
Power: 270PS / 6,000 rpm
Torque: 350Nm / 2,500 – 5,000 rpm
Weight: 1521kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: 8.4L / 100km (combined, claimed)
Wheels: -
Tyres: -
Price: N/A

GOLF.6 "R" - YouTube

VW Golf 6 R 2.0 Turbo 325PS/450NM www.Sport-Wheels.de - YouTube

Volkswagen Golf R - YouTube

B&B Gives VW Golf R 362hp HQ - YouTube

Golf R.Teil 1 - YouTube

Attachments

Last edited:

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Just sold my R32 ... wondering wether this is a good replacement :smokin:

bladerunner

500 RPM
Nov 8, 2006
Quite sad if you replace what you just sold foranother that is all too similar :confused:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
nice oppurtunity to get to review the golf r! great photography shots

wonder if they plan to bring in a scirocco r!

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'd rather not mention the roads taken; but definitely not a very long stretch of road. And yes, the R is a 2.0-litre turbo, and is lighter than the R32, so I would assume it would handle slightly different. I've yet to try the R32, so I really cannot compare.

And I'm not sure if those listings are by Zaibi Motors, but the easiest way for interested parties is to call the number above.

Btw - a couple of pictures did not turn up when I first wrote this entry, so I've fixed the links now, and have added a couple more pics.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to all sifu....

i hv a mod car but now got bit problem here hope all sifu can gv me a idea here thank you very much.......

when my car rav till 5k rpm (sometime start fr 4k+) it always not smoth n some times sounds like "PopPopPop ...." can any1 help me out ???
tried out used to control the fuel but still the same - or + fuel also same ...... change the plug n cable also the same.....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience