X-Trail owners

Oct 25, 2011
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys!

I own a 2003 2.0L X-Trail since new. Great SUV to drive. In my case, I dont face much problems but of course that comes with regular maintenance and no expense spared for replacement of wear and tear parts as and when they are due/recommended. I have my X-Trail handled by the same service centre since new. Today it has clocked 300,755kms and the engine still purrs.. Recently, I changed the stock absorbers to adjustables - the one at Pandan Indah (if you know what brand I am referring to). The X-trail is lowered by 30mm but it is not noticeable unless one really looks close or another standard X-trail is parked beside it. Ride wise - VERY comfortable yet firm. Much less body roll and it doesnt feel wafty during high speed driving. I am very satisfied with it. Fuel consumption - well, I dont really gauge it but after all these years - its bearable for me.

I have driven the X-trail fast on many occasion and I can say for sure that this SUV is stable. Of course, we have to make sure that the tyres are reasonably good. I use BS AR10 215/65/15 (on stock rims). For the 300K ++ km mileage, my X-trail can still edge 160km/h easily. Give it some time, it will reach 180km/h. I have not done more than that but have not tested that speed with the new absorbers.

The engine is still standard. I want to maintain it that way. I use ceramics brake pads and felt that they give better response than the metal ones and of course the stock brake pads is out of the question. Never save on auto-transmission oil change. Throughout my ownership, I have serviced the throttle body twice, changed the fuel filter (located under the rear seat) twice, changed the solenoid sensor once, changed alternator once, changed air-cond compressor once, changed steering rack once, changed power steering hose once (recently), change the radiator cover once (recently) and the rest are just normal service and small items here and there.

After almost 8 years (will be exactly 8 years in 7 days), I still say that X-Trail is one of the best SUV in its class in terms of comfort, power and the 4-wheel drive capability compared to the other Japanese rivals of the same age. Would I buy a new X-Trail? YES! DEFINITELY! BUT...... the current/latest model is hancuss......., so if Nissan give a better looking one, I will buy anew.

Just sharing.

Hope to hear other owners' experience.

Oct 25, 2011
Petaling Jaya
Hello again guys!

Wei... very very quiet here... Anyway, just updates on my Exy. I should have gone back to tune-up/adjust the new shocks after running them for about 1000km but due to schedule and "malasness" to drive to that part of the town, I only manage to do the tune-up/adjustment after running slightly more than 6000 km. The shocks do tend to be "softer" after about a week or so after the installation (as advised by the installer) but the comfort levels remain, I must say - just cornering stability affected a bit. After the tune-up/adjustment, the Exy feels great again. Comfort levels better, cornering stability better & braking feels more assured.

Last weekend I was back in my hometown & decided to change the tyres coz' they "looked" worn. I guess it was my luck - I managed to get the same BS AR10 215/65/15 for RM300 per piece. I think its definitely a good buy compared with Klang Valley. Took 4 and replace all 4 tyre valves as well.

Now feels itchy to get the latest Exy sport rims. The sport rims on the latest Exy looks nice although personally I dont really fancy the "updated" SUV itself...... change or not... change or not.... change or not..... aiya...

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
Are you referring to balancer shaft removal? Met a guy who purchased a JWT kit from Aus, he seem happy with the results and vibration is acceptable

Oct 25, 2011
Petaling Jaya
Hi Caarzee,

Cabin vibration in Exy? Care to describe? Havent experience any unusual cabin vibration in my case but interested to know your experience - may also be useful to others, heh?

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi midship,

yes, balance shaft removal :) I've read most feedback which is positive but I like to discuss with a person that has done it. I know a local guy - Ken Tan, if you heard of him. He has done it, unfortunately, he has moved to another country and I've lost his contact.

hi my_glen,

i'm referring to cabin vibration after balance shaft removal.

thanks.

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
Yes, the guy I'm referring to is none other than Ken who has modified quite a fair bit to his X-Trail. In fact I was there when he installed the kit. It was quite a tedious job having to drain the fluids and the trickiest part was to remove the chain which he ended up cutting it...

You may try logging on to Australian X-Trail forum where this topic should be heavily discussed.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Btw, heres the link

Australian Nissan X-Trail Forum and Store

They're quite a helpful bunch as well..

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi midship,

I remember Ken said he sent his exy to Nissan Service Center for BSR. Did he do it elsewhere? I know he had his trusty mechanic in Sri Damansara. When you said you were there, was it Ken or the guy from Aust.

The only I know from Oz exy guys that had done it was Hiikam. I think the rest, plus the moderator were against it :(

Do you have Ken's contact? Tried emailing him on his hotmail and ping via skype but no response.

Thanks.

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
I cant remember for what reason that he chose the Nissan center in Glenmarie to do the ops. I just tagged along to see what Ken was up to that day.

I will try to find his contact and PM you if I have it.

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
thanks midship. hope to get in contact with ken again :)

did you get the feel of the car (cabin vibration & engine response) after the balance shaft removal?

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi midship

Haha. Good feedback. I am very much looking forward to do this bsr. But also need to get ken's feedback how was the engine condition after a few months/years. What i gather from valboo from canada & terranismo from peru, the car was in a great shape after a year.

Do you recall how long did it took the service center to get the balance shaft out? Do you own an exy too?

Thanks.

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi

I'm looking for an aftermarket aluminum radiator with core thickness > 42mm. Does anyone know if these are available? Best if you know the price range.

Thanks.

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
Hi Carzee, is good to see you still active in XT forum. I still keep in touch with Ken, give me your email, I will send you his latest mail address.

I believe the effect is huge after remove the BSR, the other cheaper way is to cut the chain directly and get the workshop to tune the engine, otherwise it will shake like hell....

The downside of remove BSR is increase in the lub, extra 2 liter....which 1 quite heavy to the car.