wut is the best tyre size for myvi??

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Tayar Tiong eh? Are the staffs there knowledgeable and have a good customer service?

Using engine to rotate the tires? How's that?
Tayar Tiong is family business. I think the 3 are brothers, I don't think got other staffs.
Some AW members have fitted tyres from there. Have seen them do on wheel balancing before on their customer's car.

Jack car up, start engine put in gear and spin the wheels. Of course, works for front wheels only for FWD....

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Oh, that way of doing the on-wheel balancing was the same as how Hin Leong in Klang did for mine but wasn't really accurate, still vibrates. So now I want to find those with the proper machine, at least I can see the reading on the machine.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh, that way of doing the on-wheel balancing was the same as how Hin Leong in Klang did for mine but wasn't really accurate, still vibrates. So now I want to find those with the proper machine, at least I can see the reading on the machine.
As mentioned earlier, must see who the sifu is. With machine and reading is good to show to customers like you, when the reading goes to zero, but may not accurate. The machine needs to be calibrated, so depends whether the shop does that or not, same as most machine including alignment machines.

The engine rotated wheels, I have seen many sifus before and all are good. One uses his hands to touch the car panel for vibration. One touches the springs, and one just feel the steering, so macam macam ada......you have not seen won't believe, but I have tried before also.....:driver:

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
As mentioned earlier, must see who the sifu is. With machine and reading is good to show to customers like you, when the reading goes to zero, but may not accurate. The machine needs to be calibrated, so depends whether the shop does that or not, same as most machine including alignment machines.

The engine rotated wheels, I have seen many sifus before and all are good. One uses his hands to touch the car panel for vibration. One touches the springs, and one just feel the steering, so macam macam ada......you have not seen won't believe, but I have tried before also.....:driver:
Yup I agree. But on-wheel balancing with machine that can rely on the reading also saves quite a lot of time. That day at Hin Leong, that guy who did the on-wheel took quite long to do it as he alone had to feel the vibration on the steering, then come out of the car and put/remove the weights and the process goes on and on until he said ok should not vibrate at all but when I tested it, still the same so at that point of time, I felt a lot of time was wasted plus I had to travel quite far to Klang as well.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup I agree. But on-wheel balancing with machine that can rely on the reading also saves quite a lot of time. That day at Hin Leong, that guy who did the on-wheel took quite long to do it as he alone had to feel the vibration on the steering, then come out of the car and put/remove the weights and the process goes on and on until he said ok should not vibrate at all but when I tested it, still the same so at that point of time, I felt a lot of time was wasted plus I had to travel quite far to Klang as well.
Yup, with machine should save time.
Just as my mechanic mention he can adjust the distributor advance by using the spark plug wire to get spark, or use the timing light. Timing light saves time....:biggrin:

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Oh and speaking of the rim issue earlier, if balancing can solve it then it still isn't a very big problem yet right?

Already tired keep going back to Hin Leong especially for balancing where they were not able to solve the vibration problem.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh and speaking of the rim issue earlier, if balancing can solve it then it still isn't a very big problem yet right?

Already tired keep going back to Hin Leong especially for balancing where they were not able to solve the vibration problem.
Balancing is to equalized the weight all round the tyres, so when spinning the even weight will make the wheel spin perfectly without vibrations.
If rims are badly dented, balancing can still be done, but because of the bad dent, at high speed the dent throws the wheel out of balance, therefore there will still be vibration even though perfectly balanced. Slight dent may not affect balancing.

If they cannot solved after a few times, might as well change shop. You are not from Klang, right?
Balancing, I rather do nearer to my house or office....:biggrin:

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Yea, the steering vibration problem I think it's already solved about 95% for me and now left the rear that needs balancing that I can finally conclude how much vibration has been solved. Because currently, the rear does contribute vibrations to the floor so it's quite difficult to tell at times if the steering vibration is now within comfortable level to handle.

Anyway, thing is I'm afraid if the new rims are defective (based on what the mechanic in Kim Heng showed me) that is causing all this miserable time for me.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For the car body to vibrate due to the rears wheels, usually have to be out by a lot. Slightly out, usually does not affect.....

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Balancing is to equalized the weight all round the tyres, so when spinning the even weight will make the wheel spin perfectly without vibrations.
If rims are badly dented, balancing can still be done, but because of the bad dent, at high speed the dent throws the wheel out of balance, therefore there will still be vibration even though perfectly balanced. Slight dent may not affect balancing.

If they cannot solved after a few times, might as well change shop. You are not from Klang, right?
Balancing, I rather do nearer to my house or office....:biggrin:
Not sure if I'm using the correct term but when the tires/rims are put on the balancing machine, can see that the rim is wobbling a little when it's spinning (although foreman already made the balancing to 0 so almost perfectly balanced). Quite difficult to explain with words, it's just that by looking at the edge of the rims, can see it doesn't spin smoothly like you can see it spin in/out a little.

Tire Wobble! - YouTube

The video above is an example, I look at the rims the same angle as the video around 39 seconds. Can see the rims wobbling a little, any big issues? Do I have to make a trip down to Hin Leong again?

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hard to see the rims wobble as the camera keeps moving and not so clear, but tyre wobble is very clear.
Like mentioned if now you go back to them they might say you hit pothole already.
For tyre wobble, quite common. Sometimes remount them can solve the problem. If cannot then is tyre problem

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Agree on the part whether I should go back to Hin Leong or not, plus even if they replace for me then they will have to redo the balancing and I'm kinda sick of their balancing. I went there twice and it's always out of balance, by a lot too.

Guess I'll just live with it since balancing can still help my ride.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That was one of the points mentioned when buying tyres/rims from Klang. If have problem, going back is a hassle and takes time, distance also.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I know its the hazy season and everyone is staying indoors, but I cant stand to look at my faded rims!
I had lining which used to be RED in colour, now its becoming PINK (thank you sunlight )! Haze or shine, DIY painting day it is!

So I decided to paint my rims to black. Flat Black ( after being poisoned by my cousin ).
Hardware store I went, and got myself 2 Cans of Anchor paint, Flat Black C29 if I'm not mistaken..
Came back, washed the tires and let it dry. Okay, it took soooooooo...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience