Wira SE modification tips?

Dec 10, 2020
Hi to everyone, is there anyone here still rocking on a wira in 2020? Would like to know any modifications guide / maintenance I should do to get some performance in my old wira hehe. Since the car is quite old and I think I should do some maintenance of the car to keep it running good. Is there any DIY cleaning or maintenance I should do?

Things I already done:
- Cleaning spark plugs
- Engine Bay cleaning
- Fuel Filter change
- Engine Oil & Oil Filter Change (Motul 4100 turbolight)
- Radiator flushing

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
:rock: quite a few of us here...

oh, you want to go modification path? what is your goal? can invite some sifu to join this thread :-)

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hi to everyone, is there anyone here still rocking on a wira in 2020? Would like to know any modifications guide / maintenance I should do to get some performance in my old wira hehe. Since the car is quite old and I think I should do some maintenance of the car to keep it running good. Is there any DIY cleaning or maintenance I should do?

Things I already done:
- Cleaning spark plugs
- Engine Bay cleaning
- Fuel Filter change
- Radiator flushing
What engine ? If it's N/A there's really very limited performance gains from thousands of ringgit spent. If you have a manual one, skimming the flywheel, install better clutch is a good start. After that, get a piggyback or standalone ECU with anti stalling feature, remap the engine that compliments to all the mods you did. That should gives you pretty nice engine characteristic.

After engine, don't forget your suspension, change all the shocks, rubber bushings. Power is nothing without handling.

Uncle Tofu

Dec 10, 2020
What engine ? If it's N/A there's really very limited performance gains from thousands of ringgit spent. If you have a manual one, skimming the flywheel, install better clutch is a good start. After that, get a piggyback or standalone ECU with anti stalling feature, remap the engine that compliments to all the mods you did. That should gives you pretty nice engine characteristic.

After engine, don't forget your suspension, change all the shocks, rubber bushings. Power is nothing without handling.
A manual 4g15

Uncle Tofu

Dec 10, 2020
:rock: quite a few of us here...

oh, you want to go modification path? what is your goal? can invite some sifu to join this thread :-)
car feels bored after driving for some time, if can I wanna try to maximize the power of my 4g15 to see what this baby can do.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Modification?

ignore everything you hear. The most important mod is

1. tyres
2. Tyres
3.tyres
4. Tyres
5. Recaro seats

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
Modification?

ignore everything you hear. The most important mod is

1. tyres
2. Tyres
3.tyres
4. Tyres
5. Recaro seats
agree. tyre and stability of the car.
When you're trying to push your 4G15 to limit... means sometimes driving at higher speed. With modern cars you can take some corners easily on high speed. But do take the corner on the same speed, you will need a metal ball on 4G15. hehehe...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Things I already done:
- Cleaning spark plugs
- Engine Bay cleaning
- Fuel Filter change
- Radiator flushing
Which WiraSE model is yours? 1st batch manual? 2nd batch manual? Each batch had different equipment. All had the rubbish JRD 16" rims though.

Only the first batch SE had a muffler, front springs, extractor, interior, body kit, rear ARB, rear disc brakes and 16" rim. Most later models didn't get anything except the rims and muffler.

The Wira SE front spring is very unique but considering how old it'll be, it's probably sagging now. You may want to look at aftermarket coilovers. After market antiroll bars (front and back) would help with handling too. There's a few bars from UR that are great - the fender bar, front and rear strut bars, side bars.

The Wira SE rear muffler is actually a very good muffler. The only problem is the material it's made of is rubbish so it probably would've corroded by now. The Wira SE extractor is also very unique, if you don't have this then a good 4-2-1 extractor, change to 2" piping and a straight flow rear muffler would help. If you want add in a straight flow pillow type resonator to reduce drone.

Brakes pads (front and back), change to a lightweight 15" rim, use good tyres like Federal RSRR 205/50/15 would change the way you drive.

Finally - the 4G15 is a very simple engine and the VDO ECU is a pretty smart ECU. Got money consider a complete transplant like a 4G93 mivec or turbo. Not much money, get a 4G18 Waja crankshaft, the campro piston combination to oversize and stroke your engine to be about 1.7L. Get a proper standalone to control everything and one of the cheaper ones that you can opt for is MaxxECU or ECUMasters.

Reactions: minibeany

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Can also search back some old thread. Got many threads on them......
2nd this, check on old thread.
Always think of handling first.
If easily satisfy with simple mod to push 4g15 then no problem.
If hungry for more, drop in mivec or 93t legally. No need waist money and time mod 4g15.
Tepuk dada tanya sendiri.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
2nd this, check on old thread.
Always think of handling first.
If easily satisfy with simple mod to push 4g15 then no problem.
If hungry for more, drop in mivec or 93t legally. No need waist money and time mod 4g15.
Tepuk dada tanya sendiri.
But most will go through the stages, myself included. Air filter lah, high end spark plugs, plug cables, extractor, decat, etc. etc. Then later feel the power of forced induction, all those mod actually waste time only......lol

kevyeoh

Known Member
Nov 15, 2004
forced induction = turbo? i read that turbo probably harder to maintain or maybe prone to issues more frequently, is it true?

But most will go through the stages, myself included. Air filter lah, high end spark plugs, plug cables, extractor, decat, etc. etc. Then later feel the power of forced induction, all those mod actually waste time only......lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
forced induction = turbo? i read that turbo probably harder to maintain or maybe prone to issues more frequently, is it true?
As far as I know, if you BOT (bolt on turbo), probably will have more issues as the engine parts are not meant to be turbo-ed. If you do an engine transplant meaning transplant a turbo engine in will be better. Again, another issue is driver and usage. Mine is daily driven and now is 20 years since it was transplanted. As for maintenance, is the same. Oil change and whatever. Probably more expensive provided you use better oil like full synthetic and probably a more frequent oil change interval. Other than that, probably failed parts. Even with slightly heavier maintenance the trade off is the turbo power you get.......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
forced induction means anything methods of forcing in more air into your engine. Meaning turbo or supercharge both are characterised as forced induction.

harder to maintain? No la. Same, just that potentially you need maintain more saja.