Wira 4G15 Engine Oil Leak

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dear ZTHians,

My proton wira with 4G15 engine has a leak. I suspect it is due to gasket problem. I have got two quotes from mechanics and one quoted me RM5xx including ordinary service + repair valve and another quoted me RM1k because he said he is unsure what other damages are there.

Well this problem has been there quite some time since my car overheated and blew its head. A new head from chop shop replaced the blown one but perhaps due to poor installation, oil leaks and I wasnt aware of it as I dont drive this car anymore. Engine oil level would gradually decrease. It took 3000km for the engine oil level to reach minimum safe level.

Has anyone here repaired the gasket before and may i know how much? I would like to have a rough idea how much it would cost thus I can decide whether to repair or not to repair. (selling off this car next year)

Kindly advise.

synail

Known Member
May 13, 2004
Visit site
dude im no pro

-low quality gasket
-poor installation
-distorted head
-clogged oil line(unlikely to happen)
-spoiled distributor o-ring

rm5xx-1k? try survey other ws
good luck

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Rm500+ is almost the price (actually more than) of a top overhaul. It should include replacement head gasket, oil seals and valve reconditioning. If no problem you probably don't even need to skim the head (which should save you some money) but as a general rule taking out the head means you skim it one time so make sure that's in the quotation.

You probably should ask around sommore. I could recommend a few people to you depending on where you location is. PM me if interested la

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The RM500 quote I got was actually from a friend who is a mechanic. But you know lar, some friends will chop you the more they know you so I just want to find out. RM500 is incl. valve reconditioning and skimming the head he told me. I live in Jalan Ipoh area...know any good shop there?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Common problem for this engine. Seen many already, but as for RM1k quote is wrong. He should quote for normal top overhaul and inform you if he finds other things that needs replacing the cost could go up....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The RM500 quote I got was actually from a friend who is a mechanic. But you know lar, some friends will chop you the more they know you so I just want to find out. RM500 is incl. valve reconditioning and skimming the head he told me. I live in Jalan Ipoh area...know any good shop there?
If you trust the mech or is friends, the price may go up to some extent but the guarantee is he will do what he promises to do, and not skip it and tell you he did it. Unscrupoulus in that sense is what i consider chopping. Price wise I don't mind paying for peace of mind. Especially since I know I can bug my friend everyday if anything goes wrong and he wouldn't have anything to say about it, so to prevent you from bugging him, he'll do a good job.

I don't know anyone nearby Jln Ipoh, just at The Mines, Cheras, PJ (Subang) and USJ.

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
Confirm first the source of oil leak. Before you do expensive TOH. You mentioned that your engine before have overheated. Rubber seals becomes hard and not very good in sealing when overheated. Therefore causing oil leaks.
Have you replaced the 2 rubber seal of your distributor? You can confirm oil leak by removing the distributor cap. Look inside or under the cap if you have oil leaks.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If you trust the mech or is friends, the price may go up to some extent but the guarantee is he will do what he promises to do, and not skip it and tell you he did it. Unscrupoulus in that sense is what i consider chopping. Price wise I don't mind paying for peace of mind. Especially since I know I can bug my friend everyday if anything goes wrong and he wouldn't have anything to say about it, so to prevent you from bugging him, he'll do a good job.

I don't know anyone nearby Jln Ipoh, just at The Mines, Cheras, PJ (Subang) and USJ.
Yup, agree. For my mechanic we became good friends and now also family friends already. My car can leave with him, sometimes if his car is available he will lent to me and so on. Things needs changing he will inform me first....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

buy the top overhaul set yourself & pay the mech for workmanship fees.
Normally what I can DIY I will go and buy myself. If need mechanic to repair just leave to him. He order wrong, he can return. I buy wrong, chialat loh.....:banghead::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Confirm first the source of oil leak. Before you do expensive TOH. You mentioned that your engine before have overheated. Rubber seals becomes hard and not very good in sealing when overheated. Therefore causing oil leaks.
Have you replaced the 2 rubber seal of your distributor? You can confirm oil leak by removing the distributor cap. Look inside or under the cap if you have oil leaks.
Yup, another common leak problem.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I've cleaned the engine before troubleshooting for the source of the oil leak. The pic I took shows the only place that has leaking. The engine cap and drain plug gasket had been replaced with new ones. Now left this leak...hmmm...guess ill have to ask some more mechanics for quotes. Thanks for helping guys

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I only just saw the pic (blocked in the office). That's definitely a head gasket leak. If you want a temporary fix you can try that Lucas leak stop or whatever you call it. It's a temporary fix until you change oil. Not a great solution though.

Get this head gasket fixed fast. If the gasket breaks more, it'll be another my-case. Coolant mixing with engine oil and you can kiss your money byebye cuz you'll need to do more than just a gasket change.

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
Watch out oil leak find its way to your lower radiator hose. It will weaken the rubber hose if stay for very long period. Your post picture show leak was same area that lower radiator hose was located.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the advices guys...will get quote from Proton Service centre to see how much to get a rough idea. Then get from more

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Proton SC will rip you off by about 1k. Suggest you talk to a reliable mech instead
Well the SC near my place seems honest and ok...coz last time I got my car being repaired there. Of course, gotta get more quotes to compare if not, like u said, sure ill be chopped into 2013 pieces. Gotta repair it if its around 500... Still need to use that car to Singapore..oh well oh well..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I am currently interested in putting a Mivec bodkyit on my Satria but im scared that when JPJ roadblock, i get saman and have to pay big fine! So is it that JPJ will approve?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience