Which Gearbox to choose?

Mitsubishi_Colt

Oct 21, 2006
Need all advises from sifus and seniors! i just broke my f5m222 gearbox.. and now am planning to change to evo 1,2,3 gearbox.. workshop quoted me 3k ringit for everything.. including cross member, front lower arm, and after market full lock lsd gearbox and workmanship..

I know the evo 1-3 gearbox are all close gear ratio, which means the top speed is only around 230-240km/h. Many people tell me to go for the evo 1 which is the shortest among the 3... so i need comments and suggestions from those people who have tried...

And also i am going for the full lock lsd gearbox.. what are the benefits? Good?? Harder to control? what gear oil is good to use? and currently using motul 75w90.. do i have to change to a lsd oil which is thicker? need help from all people! Thanks!:biggrin:

I also wish to save money by using by my 8 inch flywheel with exedy plate and trinity clutch pad.. will it be possible? Because i know the evo one is using 9 inch flywheel... so if clutch slip already next time den use the 9 inch flywheel and change to bigger clutch..

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
are you running on 1.8 sohc? if yes then
1. Full lock is not suitable for street use. track is where it belongs.
2. a 1.6 gearbox from MIVEC is better.
3. would not recommend u to change to heavier clutch if you spend half a day driving.
4. a lighter flywheel make ur engine rev easier but also make bumper to bumper traffic jam where you need to come to a full stop & seconds later a go more difficult!

There are also several types of LSD.

Mitsubishi_Colt

Oct 21, 2006
Bro.. i will be hitting the tracks every now and then on pasir gudang.. Thats is why i am looking for better handling and traction..

Why do u suggest a 1.6 mivec gearbox? i am running about 350bhp with 420nm torque.. i am scared that if the ratios are too close.. it makes it harder for my car to even have traction on the 1st and 2nd gear.. so what are the difference btw the mivec gearbox and evo 1-3 gearbox? i believe the evo gearbox are more reliable rite??

Also are the ratios on the mivec gearbox shorteR? i believe the top speed for evo 1-3 is around 230-240 only.. yes i understand there are a few types of full lock lsd gearbox.. quaife, kaaz, cusco and many more.. the place am intending to do up my gear box is at hv racing johor..

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
are you running on 1.8 sohc? if yes then
1. Full lock is not suitable for street use. track is where it belongs.
2. a 1.6 gearbox from MIVEC is better.
3. would not recommend u to change to heavier clutch if you spend half a day driving.
4. a lighter flywheel make ur engine rev easier but also make bumper to bumper traffic jam where you need to come to a full stop & seconds later a go more difficult!

There are also several types of LSD.
1. depends on driver, i drive a full lock daily drive , hahaha unless u got a wife/gf to pull ur ears or scream at u then its a diffrent story

2. he might break the mivec gearbox , his aim is 400hp, mivec doesnt have twin synchros

Mitsubishi_Colt

Oct 21, 2006
other than jinkl... no one out there knows about the evo 1,2,3 gearbox?? :hmmmm:

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
Your 1.8 sohc achive 350 hp? anyway just sharing opinion here!
Kaaz and cusco are brands, LSD got viscous or mechanical both with their own advantage. MIVEC gb is way shorter! check out from here mivec.co.nz.
Personally i don't own a EVO, so would not know about EVO at all, sorry!

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
hv racing....
of course the price high la....
but also coz they use all expensive parts la...
n the cars dat they do r all fast la...
which explains more $$$.....

4g93sohc wif so high hp??
running turbo huh???
my fren is using 9" stock evo clutch for his GSR....
i feels its grip is same if not better than my 8.5" exedy semi racing clutch.....

as for the gb....
i really dunno much la....
but i know mivec gb very difficult to source nowadays.....
somemore u wan full lock LSD......
expensive n difficult to find.....

Mitsubishi_Colt

Oct 21, 2006
Calvin bro.. 350 bhp is only a conversative tune with only boosting 1.3.. this engine build is suppose to be able to handle 400+ 500+.. but how reliable is it am not too sure la..but of course engine is fully done up with cams and everything bottom to head lah.. am not a internet hero talking some cock and bull story about how fast or strong my engine.. but if u really wish to know my parts, i can pm u my list of parts.. am just someone who is open to suggestions and willing to learn more about the evo gearboxes.. so i think its quite okie.. dynoed at visworks twin rollar dyno machine..

The problem why i am not aiming the mivec gearbox is because i fear the ratio is too short.. maybe the top speed only 200? which restricts my playing style.. i think evo gear is more reliable than the mivec ones?? correct me if am wrong..

If ratios are too short.. i think cannot even move.. last time on my 1.6 gearbox.. 1st and 2nd gear already very hard to move.. no traction.. so now am planning to go for evo 1,2 or 3 gearbox with full lock lsd quoted 3k rm by Hv racing..i dont mind paying more for good stuff, reliablity and good workmanship with genuine parts.. am just asking the difference between the 3 gearbox.. dont understand why no one is answering the question by instead veering away from it.. :confused:

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
perhaps u should google the gear ratio la.....
y dun u ask ppl in HV racing???

u must hav spend a fortune in ur engine huh????
ur car currently running FF right???
y not mod 4wd???
get a evo gb wif full lock LSD.....
then no need to purposely lock to 2-wheel.....
wif 4wd....should b able to solve or minimize ur no-traction prob lo....

u like to play in pasir gudang????
drag or track day???
but to me....being able to hit around 220kmh is sufficient for track day la......
the longest straight.....
my fren evo3 track car oso hit around 180kmh before he need to ease off for the corner.....

giv some info bout ur car la....
so i can keep a lookout when i go pasir gudang.....

Mitsubishi_Colt

Oct 21, 2006
hmm.. the reason why i want to lock the evo gearbox into 2 wheel drive.. is mainly the reason i am playing drag more often.. dont want to lose the power.. yes i know 4wd is much better in terms of traction..

but after seeing how 500+ 4wd performs on the drag strip.. i seriously dont want to convert to 4wd.. to convert 2wd on a 4wd i guess that will even be more reliable for the gb.. because it is designed to hold the treshold and torque of a 4wd drive train..

Yes.. i smashed my engine 2 times.. and this is my 3rd rebuild.. starting want to save on.. budget gasket.. blow.. then wait save on arp studs.. also blow.. den save on radiator.. head gasket blow..
finally decided to do everything.. i have spent over SGD 25k on this car and engine alr.. doing from bottom to top cams.. i guess my final journey will be this evo gearbox.. reliability is the word i find..

no point driving a few months, enjoying the power.. next few mths in the workshop spending money.. thats the reason why i am on conversative tuning now producing only 350 horses.. 430-430 torque..

my car will be hitting the tracks soon.. but its heart pain to keep whacking.. the very most 2 rounds and i'll stop to rest.. unless na dont say.. drag & street still a better choice for me.. although my under carriage is more or less done up.. (missing a roll cage only), i still cherish my engine this time.. :love:

i would enjoy more on a saturday night sprint at PG... :smokin:

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
PG track closed for this mth......
so guess u hav to hold ur horses la...
hahahahaha....

anyway...
i've asked my mech on evo LSD gearbox.....
he told me RM3k is DAMN expensive if we r talkin bout chopshop condition evo lsd gb.....
but if u say HV service the gb and fit in some aftermarket lsd....then i dunno la....
coz my mech deals a lot wif halfcut items oni......

anyway...
if u interested to do it at my mech place....
u can drop me a pm la....
its not a BIG workshop wif fast cars....
but this fella hav lots of mitsu parts n he is honest.....

mael

May 28, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i dont know if evo1-3 gearbox can nicely mount at 4g9x block. but i'am use a gearbox from mitsubishi Eclipse. can nicely mount at my 4g93 block and using wira AT starter. my foreman said this gearbox have been modified to fit the evo1 gear 1,2 and 3 ratio which the ratio is
1st - 14/36 = 2.571
2nd – 20/32 = 1.600
3rd - 25/29 = 1.160
i'am currently using 1.8 sohc NA engine with high cam, re-chipped ECU by matspeed and safcII as my piggyback ECU. so far this ratio is satisfied. the power transfered to gearbox is just nice even my machine is not hard- cored modified. 1st gear is long enough. 2nd to 3rd gear is most close. so i'm sure evo 1 gearbox is suit for your engine sir.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
with that much hp better u go for custom gearbox ratio.....

it was available but i forgot who produce/bring manufactured the gearbox....

perhaps jinkl knew some good examples to suggest?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If you look at the back page of The Sun on 16 August, can you count how many people are involved in the creation of Persona? 306! I was thinking like only 1 person...... and his/her job is to design it longer.

Joke! need so many people to make a car longer! Take a hike Proton!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience