What's The Difference Between RON95 and RON97

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
i dont think there is any difference between them as they are same and work in same manner
You mean RON95 and RON97 or between brands? If you're talking octane, then you're not quite right. Different ignition times makes a huge difference for a high compression car but you're right that they work the same, ie - they're sprayed in, it ignites and it gives the car power.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You mean RON95 and RON97 or between brands? If you're talking octane, then you're not quite right. Different ignition times makes a huge difference for a high compression car but you're right that they work the same, ie - they're sprayed in, it ignites and it gives the car power.
Yup, higher compression engine won't be able to run well on Ron 95....:banghead:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, higher compression engine won't be able to run well on Ron 95....:banghead:
Depends on the state of tune though. If the engine tuning allows to use lower RON then still ok. Might not make the most max power or as fuel efficient but can still run fine as long as there's no knocking. Direct injection engines also can run with RON95 despite the very high compression.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Depends on the state of tune though. If the engine tuning allows to use lower RON then still ok. Might not make the most max power or as fuel efficient but can still run fine as long as there's no knocking. Direct injection engines also can run with RON95 despite the very high compression.
No point if get lost of power, right?:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No point if get lost of power, right?:biggrin:
Well lost just a few HP does not mean the engine cannot run well. Most probably the loss also more at the mid-upper range of the rpm so would not be that noticeable anyway during everyday normal driving. Of course this is mostly for normal every day car. If high performance cars with more aggressive tuning and especially FI engines then they would be more sensitive and might suffer more power loss or may indeed get damaged due to knocking. But if no knocking, then should still be ok.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well lost just a few HP does not mean the engine cannot run well. Most probably the loss also more at the mid-upper range of the rpm so would not be that noticeable anyway during everyday normal driving. Of course this is mostly for normal every day car. If high performance cars with more aggressive tuning and especially FI engines then they would be more sensitive and might suffer more power loss or may indeed get damaged due to knocking. But if no knocking, then should still be ok.
Yup, mine knock at 4 to 4.5k rpm, until I added some additives to run RON95...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, mine knock at 4 to 4.5k rpm, until I added some additives to run RON95...
No surprise la, your car is high powered turbo monster la, cannot drink cheap stuff. :biggrin:
Have to detuned the ignition and boost a little bit maybe. My car can still tolerate the cheap stuff cause still normal level car. :biggrin:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
True, but less aggressive tuning would render the higher compression nature of the engine useless. Might as well not bothering with high comp in the first place.

Direct injection is a different story though. The very nature of the concept means knocking is less of a problem when using lower Ron fuel with high comp engines. Wonders of (relatively :biggrin:) new technology!

Jose

Known Member
Aug 3, 2006
Subang Jaya
Mine also experience slight knock and loss low end power when running on Ron 95. comp ratio 11.1:1

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Direct injection is a different story though. The very nature of the concept means knocking is less of a problem when using lower Ron fuel with high comp engines. Wonders of (relatively :biggrin:) new technology!
Yeah, I'm also now starting to learn about this GDi engine, cause this is the first time I own one. I do hope it will serve me well and not make me regret buying one!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah, I'm also now starting to learn about this GDi engine, cause this is the first time I own one. I do hope it will serve me well and not make me regret buying one!
The cons of GDi engine have started. Dirty inlet valves, since fuel is injected directly into combustion chamber the inlet valves are not cleaned by the fuel.
In the older technology engine where the fuel is injected into the inlet manifold just before the valves, this will clean the valves...
Everything got pros and cons....

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

No surprise la, your car is high powered turbo monster la, cannot drink cheap stuff. :biggrin:
Have to detuned the ignition and boost a little bit maybe. My car can still tolerate the cheap stuff cause still normal level car. :biggrin:
As mentioned by bro. pwhyze, if want to detune might as well use NA. Mine is already standard low boost, if lower some more then also no point.....:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The cons of GDi engine have started. Dirty inlet valves, since fuel is injected directly into combustion chamber the inlet valves are not cleaned by the fuel.
In the older technology engine where the fuel is injected into the inlet manifold just before the valves, this will clean the valves...
Everything got pros and cons....

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

As mentioned by bro. pwhyze, if want to detune might as well use NA. Mine is already standard low boost, if lower some more then also no point.....:biggrin:
Yeah, GDI engines need to decarbonize more often I suppose. I've done it once a few weeks ago, pretty dirty.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi otai2 / king2.

My Case
I have one humble Wira SE (1.5 Auto) and I’m keen to do a GSR 4G93T halfcut swap from Japan stock. Currently, I have a new Myvi D20N-Advance (2018) as my daily ride. Though, I plan to pass this car down to my future wife for her commute to work to replace her Altis 1.8G 2009. I’m working in Klang as a HR Manager with gross income of 7k monthly with the Myvi loan only (no house commitment but soon in 2020). The reason for the swap is because of the car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience