What Glue?

Seabiscuit

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Sometime JB
Visit site
My car driver side door frame (corner of a-pillar) rubber came off already. everytime running hi speed can hear wind leaking into the cabin. The workshop guy ever touched up some glue (like those brown colour glue used in shoe repair). I wonder is it suitable to use such glue to stick between car paint and rubber?

Anyone here can recommend what blue to use?

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
No Dunlop CA glue is not suitable. If u want proper auto glue u need to go to car parts shop.

I could recommend u a brand, SIKAFLEX. Cost about RM30 per tube. U need to use the manual pump cartridge gun. This brand is certified for auto use! I managed to source this one in Puchong. Lucky as this brand is also used by toyota in assembly process. Lucky me.

Do not use home grade silicone, as it does not withstand heat well. Give it a month and it dislodges itself.

Esky

Known Member
Nov 27, 2003
Silicone is good for sealing but it doesn't stick on to surfaces well... apart from those aquarium tank silicone glue! Anyone knows what sort of glue that is? It seems to stick on very well.

Anyway, r u talking about those black polyurethane (PU) glue? I tried to look for it but they only hv it in big tubes (I only have the pump gun for smaller silicone glue) and I don't need such a big tube. It's those sticky but won't dry out type of glue.

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Esky, I have no idea if they are PU or not. But they are for auto use. And they only come in big tubes. If u are looking for small squirt tubes then look at the many shopping centers for OCI windscreen sealant. About 14 bucks i think. Selleys also have them but more expensive. Its better to use auto grade sealant.

If u use the regular silicone, like those glass (aquarium) or outdoor type, they are not good in shape control. Meaning heat is a major enemy.