Voltage Regulator Bad???

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear sifus and forumers....

I recently acquired an Hot Inazma LR voltage regulator. Now having doubts to use it because I have heard from more than one friend that VS actually drains battery. It kills the battery faster. Is this true? Does this happen generally or only when the car is not in use for longer periods?

Thanks....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As far as I know it does not drain the battery, unless the VS is faulty. Have heard of faulty VS draining battery before....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I recently acquired an Hot Inazma LR voltage regulator. Now having doubts to use it because I have heard from more than one friend that VS actually drains battery. It kills the battery faster. Is this true? Does this happen generally or only when the car is not in use for longer periods?

Thanks....
I think it depends on the design of the VS. If it's a capacitor bank, then yes, it'll probably drain. But if you look at Pivot and their VS, it's not a problem. I've had mine for ages and it extends the life the battery if anything. 2 years and still going strong (the battery).

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think it depends on the design of the VS. If it's a capacitor bank, then yes, it'll probably drain. But if you look at Pivot and their VS, it's not a problem. I've had mine for ages and it extends the life the battery if anything. 2 years and still going strong (the battery).
Pivot ones not capacitor bank?:hmmmm:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
currently on guangdao and my previous free maintenance batt lasted about 2.5 years (30 months) and cranking was always easy.
changed batt recently cos sent car for painting.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I've had mine for ages and it extends the life the battery if anything. 2 years and still going strong (the battery).
For me, with or without the VS, battery seems to last about the same time only.....:confused:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
My ori Pivot VSM-E at the first few years the battery lasted longer than it should, after that probably the capacitor gone case so it drained my battery. Did a test using test pen the Voltage Stabilizer did 'run electric' in Cantonese (dunno the word in English). Just sharing.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Run Electric...."Chow Teen".....good one......:biggrin:

I think same as what we have been discussing, VS faulty and draining the battery......:biggrin:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
My ori Pivot VSM-E at the first few years the battery lasted longer than it should, after that probably the capacitor gone case so it drained my battery. Did a test using test pen the Voltage Stabilizer did 'run electric' in Cantonese (dunno the word in English). Just sharing.
Leakage.
By the way I'm using Pivot Megaraizin for 7 years still work fine.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Pivot ones not capacitor bank?:hmmmm:
It's not la. Condensers I think.

For me, with or without the VS, battery seems to last about the same time only.....:confused:
My Myvi with VS seems to have better electrical performance (no GK). Lights don't dim as much when the compressor kicks in. And the battery is still going strong like I said. The other Myvi of mine has nothing attached to it and it recently had the battery changed. According to the marking, it's 1.5 years old. Same Panasonic brand battery on both cars.

So perhaps it's just me but VS seems to 'condition' the voltage into the battery so much so it prolongs it's life. My Sylphy running on 1 year old Century batteries. Let's see how long it lasts without anything connected to it.

I want to connect my alternator-battery power cable to it but no point atm, I'll get it done once my sound system is done up and that'll be several months minimum to even get started. No budget.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It's not la. Condensers I think.

My Myvi with VS seems to have better electrical performance (no GK). Lights don't dim as much when the compressor kicks in. And the battery is still going strong like I said. The other Myvi of mine has nothing attached to it and it recently had the battery changed. According to the marking, it's 1.5 years old. Same Panasonic brand battery on both cars.

So perhaps it's just me but VS seems to 'condition' the voltage into the battery so much so it prolongs it's life. My Sylphy running on 1 year old Century batteries. Let's see how long it lasts without anything connected to it.

I want to connect my alternator-battery power cable to it but no point atm, I'll get it done once my sound system is done up and that'll be several months minimum to even get started. No budget.
Brother, in electrical field isn't capacitor and condenser means the same thing?:hmmmm:

On the battery many say the life cycle is the charge and discharge cycle. Like my wife's SUV, no VS also can last more than 2 years.
In my VR I found a parasitic leak and was draining my battery until flat in 4 to 5 days. Wire man cannot find the problem so following some youtube video, I check myself and found the leak from my ignition fuse, so what I did was remove that fuse whenever I am home. So far working well, and battery also almost 20 months already...:driver:
Currently running without the VS, as I thought VS problem, I even change my HU (I got spare unit), thought was HU problem also....hahhaha

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You're right, condenser = capacitor.. hahahaha.. whoops. Then i dunno la. Cuz I've had the Myvi parked there for 2 weeks without even starting and firing up the car after that no problem also. I dunno.

And only vr2turbo would have a spare HU of all things in his storeroom. :biggrin:

goohtj

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004

Thanks....
Capacitors don't drain much electricity. <5ma. [car alarm >200ma]
your unit c/w a led [15ma]

to double check an old vs,
1. open the casing
2. check the capacitors for bulge , any abnormal . replace the bad capacitor .
<rm5 per capacitor
3. kaw tim

vs helps to regulate and increases the battery cca and voltage stability.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You're right, condenser = capacitor.. hahahaha.. whoops. Then i dunno la. Cuz I've had the Myvi parked there for 2 weeks without even starting and firing up the car after that no problem also. I dunno.

And only vr2turbo would have a spare HU of all things in his storeroom. :biggrin:
Usually if battery in good condition, 2 weeks park without using can still fire up. If it does not, battery is weak already.

HU with same plug, if not, I need to re-wire....hahhaha
Single din and double din actually have another 2 units spare each....:driver:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Inazma Hyper user, so far satisfying. Buddy of mine ran his for 5years+ been prolonging his batt lifespan as well.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wazzup guyz .. Just a few things boggling in ma mind about the pros and cons of modding ..

1) Adding body kits/woofers/GT Wing to your car adds on weight, it significantly increases FC or is it not noticeable?

2) I seen a few cars with some crazy front bumpers and GT wings, at an average speed (around 100 kmph) wont it be causing additional drag, rather then providing stability?

3) Modding is definately cool, I see people changing engines (EVO,MIVEC)/ adding turbo to Malaysian...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience