V power Racing

MrPenghulu

Known Member
Aug 18, 2006
this kind of chemical on petrol is hard to explain by us... only those chemist can explain it...

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
Not necessarily difficult to understand really.

When we talk about octane rating of fuels, bear in mind that there are three standards that we can compare to:
Research Octane Number (RON)
Motor Octane Number (MON)
Anti-knock index (AKI, which is essentially the average of both MON and RON values)

As you may have noticed, Malaysia utilises the RON rating and while I know nothing at all about the law requiring us to be limited to RON97 (phat7, an article or something for me to sniff somewhere? =P) we are still quite lucky to be getting above average RON fuels. In UK its about 90p for RON95 gas, so... :mouth_closed:

As has been mentioned by v0ices, the higher the octane rating, the better its resistance to knock. This allows it to run at higher compression where the thermodynamic efficiency is higher, hence more power.

The highest octane rating petrol can go up to would be around 110-115 octane. Anything higher it would have to be a bio-ethanol blend or straight alcohol...with ballpark figures approaching 130 or so.

Cheers

somebody

Known Member
Dec 18, 2006
my friend who work at petronasilemak said that Shell v-power has RON 97 + additive.. what kind of additive? only the biochem-eng knows + god ..

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
it's RON97 + friction modifyer + 5 % alcohol

friction modifyer should be like our RE engine all in some 2T oils. :) that's based on what the words actually mean.. :) to modify the friction inside the engine....

somebody

Known Member
Dec 18, 2006
Alchemis said:
it's RON97 + friction modifyer + 5 % alcohol

friction modifyer should be like our RE engine all in some 2T oils. :) that's based on what the words actually mean.. :) to modify the friction inside the engine....
so, if you fill in v-power racing fuel, you don't have to add premix 2T oils inside you fuel tank anymore right?

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
based on the stuffs that they write there..... yes....
but if to be safe... put only lor :) very cheap only mar one bottle.

somebody

Known Member
Dec 18, 2006
Alchemis said:
based on the stuffs that they write there..... yes....
but if to be safe... put only lor :) very cheap only mar one bottle.
can I know which brand of 2T oil youre using and the price you have bought for ??litre bottle. Thanks. ^_^

theseira

Known Member
Oct 18, 2006
Funny.....some people say put 2-T oil and some say you don't need it. I guess if you did mix it with the petrol....you'll want to use the best for your car. Just like higher revving 2-stroke missiles down Jln Sultan Ismail aka. Mat Rempits...they use the more expensive 2-T oils bought from GOOD bike shops. Their engines last longer as it has certain additives in it. I think MOTUL 2-T Racing is pretty good.:mouth_closed:

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
put everything inside the engine ended up engine over nutrition...nose bleed then u know :P

half a bottle is good enough :)

whoever tried 2 bottles of octane booster + 1 bottle of 2T, tell us :)

hmmm i smell some old threads going to brought up... once posted by Diablo :)

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
With the addictive of ethanol, it should have boosted the RON of the petrol.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Just browsing around...

If we want to talk about quality of fuel, it all depends on the condition of you car's internal parts, how fast / reliable the ECU can compensate for better / lower grade fuel etc. To me, numero uno hafta be Shell V-Power Racing. 2nd is Esso/Mobil Synergy, the rest and lastly is Petronas. To find out just how good or bad a petrol is, you can do your own tests. One test is to see how combustible the fuel is and how fast it burns up ( the faster the fuel burns up and the more 'explosive' the combustion is, means the fuel tested is very volatile, therefore will give you the best bang. How to do this test, use your own ideas lah. Heheh.

To test how long the fuel will last in your tank, simulate the almost same conditions of your fuel tank ( transparent stuffs will do here also ) and leave 'em for a week, also try to simulate both warm and cool air conditions too. Then see lah how much fuel is left.

Best octane booster ( to me ) is STP's. But beware, usage of too much octane boosters and too often may leave deposits in your engine internals, especially in the engine's head.

2t? Best one is Castrol 747, 'nuff said. The same fully synthetic 2T used for GP bikes during the stroker days, before the MotoGP class came in full effect. Last time 1 litre about RM 78, now I dunno, since oledi quit strokers.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
you're pretty wrong about the fuel :)

the lower the RON the easier it gets ignited by hot spots of the engine.
and higher the RON the more resistant the knock and ping.

the question goes to you.... RON 97 better or RON87 better ? bear in mind, RON87 might burn up faster than RON97 :)

no way we grade fuels by burning them up. some of us on the line are engineers. we don't talk with experiments like that... i've been drilling the internet for any scientific experiments done on them. like what are their composition, how much energy they release for 1 ML..... basic high school chemistry by burning peanut tells u how much Kilo Joule they have.... not burning them and see which one got bigger flames :)

equilibrium of energy...from the fire they burn, they boil water or any liquid. with the liquid's index number, there goes how we get the time and temperature. then we can deduce what's the energy used to raise that amount of temperature with the amount of time. that's scientific :)

BTW, there's no official saying V power are the best etc.... but i personally think mobil sucks to the max :)

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
OK, no prob. Just trying to explain in layman's term. If you say I'm wrong, Ok, I am wrong then.

v0ices

Known Member
May 24, 2006
and I thought I explained about RON, 'knocking' and etc...

But one thing is right, there is no 'best' fuel. Some cars run better and faster on RON92, some on RON100 (and higher even).

Our 'base' fuel in M'sia for all petrol companies are more or less the same. The only big difference is the additive, which is only added when the fuel is loaded onto the trucks to be delivered to the destinations. The additive formulas are a trade secret btw.

How do I know all this? I work for an O&G company...

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
ace79.... no hard feelings... :)

we don't want people to start burning down their houses by experimenting burning petrol in open air.. also can have a HUGE black smoke....

how i know ? i tried before pouring petrol in the drain and start torching them... just 500 ML... and throw a match in them... walla.....:P

MrPenghulu

Known Member
Aug 18, 2006
er.... guys... dont quarrel here... we are not some kind of smarties... so hehehe....

jaii13

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
I've been using Shell Super all this while. And all this talk about V-Power Racing is making my car thirsty. So I'll give it a go and report back.

OT: Merry Christmas to everyone! Have a good one, and keep the road safe.