Upgrade BLM rear drum brakes to wira 1.6 disc brakes

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
dear sifus,

i am planning to upgrade my BLM's rear drum brake to wira 1.6's rear disc brakes. is this advisable?

i heard that rear drum brakes are better in gripping power than rear disc brakes, is that true?

the problem i am facing with my car is that my handbrakes not very grippy when i stop at slopes, i have to pull my handbrakes really stiff or engage a gear when i park my car on a slope, would rear disc brakes improve the problem? would it give me better braking power during driving?

are there any other better disc brakes better than 1.6 wira that could be fitted?

i am also intending to change my master brake pump, brake pads and the brake hose. can evo 3's brakepump fit into BLM? and are there any more alternatives for me to choose from?

thx in advance...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
handbrake on rear disc brake has far less stopping power compare to drum brakes...
try adjust the handbrake cable tension again...
check ur rear brake shoes...

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
changing shoe to pad is already a modification, do you know that changing brake pump or oversize the brake, you are require to inform the insurance? if not something goes wrong they are not liable ...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yes...agree to skywalker....handbrake for stock rear disc brake wasn't grip at all.....

unless u change into better brakepads and better disc (cross-driller/slotted) or better use hydraulic handbrake.... "biggrin:

btw..i don't think brake from wira/lancer can be fitted...due to different hub pcd..unless u were willing to use different rim pcd for front and rear....or modified the pcd to suits..

maybe rear disc brake from lancer ck can be fitted....

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
wira,lancer ck,waja, satria,mivec,gsr, satria neo,gen 2,persona's rear disc brake all cant be fitted to saga blm since it running different type of rear parts.... those model i mentioned above are all using 2 separated arm while saga all same like those 4x4 car, both rear side connected by satu batang axle.... similar to kenari, if wan mod rear disc brake, whole set include the satu batang thing together with rear brake needed,can just take the rear disc and caliper to sumbat..... so far in din heard saga got rear disc brake, even i saw many mirage 4g61T halfcut,all rear brake are drum brake conneted by the satu batang thing :listen:

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
yes...agree to skywalker....handbrake for stock rear disc brake wasn't grip at all.....

unless u change into better brakepads and better disc (cross-driller/slotted) or better use hydraulic handbrake.... "biggrin:

btw..i don't think brake from wira/lancer can be fitted...due to different hub pcd..unless u were willing to use different rim pcd for front and rear....or modified the pcd to suits..

maybe rear disc brake from lancer ck can be fitted....
isn't wira using same PCD as BLM...? PCD100?

i am a little interested with the hydraulic handbrakes, can u tell more about it?

wira,lancer ck,waja, satria,mivec,gsr, satria neo,gen 2,persona's rear disc brake all cant be fitted to saga blm since it running different type of rear parts.... those model i mentioned above are all using 2 separated arm while saga all same like those 4x4 car, both rear side connected by satu batang axle.... similar to kenari, if wan mod rear disc brake, whole set include the satu batang thing together with rear brake needed,can just take the rear disc and caliper to sumbat..... so far in din heard saga got rear disc brake, even i saw many mirage 4g61T halfcut,all rear brake are drum brake conneted by the satu batang thing :listen:
if i am not wrong vios also uses the same axle set up... can it fit?

changing shoe to pad is already a modification, do you know that changing brake pump or oversize the brake, you are require to inform the insurance? if not something goes wrong they are not liable ...
would modifying the brakes affect the policy or increase the premium as well?

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
proton pls stick to mitsubishi or proton's relative, u can consider vios use the same axle system but wat about other factor? the wheel base, body width, mounting and etc...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
they said from eterna???

i tot eterna pcd 114???

someone can shed some light here pls???

ruckboyz_85

Known Member
Apr 3, 2009
eterna rear disc brake much cheaper..it has separate system for braking and parking brake..eterna model used 4 holes pcd 114.3 single layer disc while eterna twin turbo used 5 holes pcd 114.3 double layer disc..to convert 4 holes 100 pcd just need to drill holes at disc only..

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
wira,lancer ck,waja, satria,mivec,gsr, satria neo,gen 2,persona's rear disc brake all cant be fitted to saga blm since it running different type of rear parts.... those model i mentioned above are all using 2 separated arm while saga all same like those 4x4 car, both rear side connected by satu batang axle.... similar to kenari, if wan mod rear disc brake, whole set include the satu batang thing together with rear brake needed,can just take the rear disc and caliper to sumbat..... so far in din heard saga got rear disc brake, even i saw many mirage 4g61T halfcut,all rear brake are drum brake conneted by the satu batang thing
That's a whole lot of rubbish that doesn't mean a single thing.

If you know how brake assemblies are fitted onto cars, you'll know that it's got nothing to do with the type of lower arm the car has. All disk brakes have a disk that goes over the hub, and a caliper that's mounted to its mounting plate. The mounting plate has a clearance in the centre for the hub, and there will be mounting holes flanking the hub bearing to bolt on the mounting plate. It's as simple as that.

Basically, you can take any rear disk brake system to mount it to a car that originally uses rear drums. The modifications needed would be for the handbrake cable assembly (for the correct cable length and slack), and drilling the disk brake system's mounting plate accordingly to allow it to be bolted on to the existing mounting holes. Drum brakes also have a mounting plate at the back, and the drum system's hydraulic cylinders are mounted upon the mounting plate. You'll need to mod the donor's mounting plate to have holes that correspond to the holes on the recipient's arm.

Eterna rear disk brakes are commonly used for such mods for two major reasons - it has a small diameter that makes it easy to fit into most cars, and it's a drum-in-disk assembly so you can retain the existing drum brake system and handbrake cable.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all,

I am helping a friend to recover his car. He traded his Satria Neo Lite for a Saga FLX using a used car dealer and things went bad from there. Apparently the dealer along with both car has been missing after my friend has signed the bank loan agreement for the new car. The best part is, Proton centre has not received his old Satria yet. Things has been going on for quite some time now. All police reports, e-mails to Proton HQ, lawyers & phone calls has been made but still no...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience