Turbo timer with no turbo :)

May 20, 2006
Hey all,

Wonderin' if anyone knows wat i can use to make a replica setup as a turbo timer but with noy turbo as my accord doesnt have turbo nor am i considering to get turbo. Some of you might think this is stupid or dumb idea but people have der own styles.

Cheers

3rdGenAccord

May 20, 2006
NA???
la??

Replica setup meaning a same setup as a turbo timer but with no turbo...so instead of turbo timer cooling down turbo it will cool the engine :) hope u get wat i mean.

thnx

Fluffy

3,000 RPM

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
NA - basically a non turbo engine.

actually..this topic has been discussed..very very bad discussion.:_: but i'll tell u wat is my opinion..

i understand wat u want..but a turbo timer wont really make much diff compared to a turbo engine.

*i know there will be some smart ass who's gonna say im wrong.and a turbo timer on a NA engine is useful bla bla bla...well,i dont wanna hear it.*

3rdGenAccord

May 20, 2006
yeh i approve your opinion. im just reasearchin if turbo timers does have anything to do with the turbo or is it just a timer hooked up to the ignition and they called it a turbo timer :p but i have a strong feeling as you said it wont have a big diff hopefully none at all.

evo5229

2,000 RPM

evo5229

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2005
KL/Kedah/Penang
ohkay for me....turbo car usally dun have turbo timer on it...

they just put a turbo timer to their car of taking car the engine....because the

engine are very hot so it must wait it cool only close rite...

FOR non turbo car, u can added too.....u also help u for cooling....just that it not

very usefull for non turbo car....coz the HOT not as turbo car as HOT......

et5828

1,500 RPM

et5828

1,500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
don be so down
get vacuum meter
it looks quite exactly like turbo meter and it moves accordingly to ur throttle

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
Yes apparently u can do that on Natural Aspirated car.Some said only for style but actually it does help to cool down the engine before we turn off the ignition key after some time of long run. Go ahead.Get full auto TT like apexi, besides the timer, u can monitor your air fuel ratio and o2.

by the way, "la" is one of our slangue.Hope u get what i mean.

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
et5828 said:
don be so down
get vacuum meter
it looks quite exactly like turbo meter and it moves accordingly to ur throttle
Bro, I think he was talking about turbotimer not boostmeter.Correct me if Im wrong :_:

Darkax

Known Member

Darkax

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Malaysia
no point adding stuff that is not so important... burns a hole in your pocket and also increases the % of ur car getting broken into... :_:

Raja_Mongkut

500 RPM

Raja_Mongkut

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
TermiziYeoh said:
Yes apparently u can do that on Natural Aspirated car.Some said only for style but actually it does help to cool down the engine before we turn off the ignition key after some time of long run. Go ahead.Get full auto TT like apexi, besides the timer, u can monitor your air fuel ratio and o2.

by the way, "la" is one of our slangue.Hope u get what i mean.
hmm apparently fatt is not 100% accurate. not even 80%.. so u may suffer premature or prolonged idling.

which timer can monitor afr n o2 together?

Adeen

2,000 RPM

Adeen

2,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2006
kl
timer can monitor afr n o2..?? never heard of any....mine can only do auto timing, manual timing, and reading the voltage(volt meter)....:)

imoloq

1,000 RPM

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
A turbo timer is used to keep the lubricating oil circulating in the turbo for a few more minutes after the ignition is switched off. This is to prolong the life of the turbo. Let's say you have been driving at around Sepang circuit for 1 hour straight. Your turbo would be very hot right? A turbo timer prevents hot oil in the engine from cooking up in the lines by letting the engine idle for a few minutes. Hard driving can raise engine oil temperatures to dangerously high levels. Proper cool down is essential for a healthy turbo and engine.

acbc

4,000 RPM

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
I used to have a HKS turbo timer (4 button) on my NA car last year. Never even use it unless long distances such as Genting Highlands where u can activate the timer to cool down the engine b4 shutting it off.

Other than that... u be a laughing stock among turbo car owners out there... there is a name for this... "Poser".

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
Adeen said:
timer can monitor afr n o2..?? never heard of any....mine can only do auto timing, manual timing, and reading the voltage(volt meter)....:)
Hope this helps.

Apex'i

The Apex Auto Timer allows the vehicle to idle for a preset amount of time after the ignition key has been removed. In turbocharged vehicles this prevents hot oil in the engine from coking up in the lines. Hard driving can raise engine oil temperatures to dangerously high levels. Proper cool down is essential for a healthy turbo and engine.

The Auto Timer stands as a technological marvel. The pen shaped, compact size makes the Auto Timer one of the smallest turbo timers on the market. This allows a clean and stylish installation virtually anywhere inside the car. The unique multi angle joystick button allows easy navigation through the many feature menus.

Upgraded in every way from the previous model, the new Auto Timer can automatically determine the necessary amount of after idling time. A Manual Mode allows the user to preset desired idling times from 0 sec.~10 minutes in 16 increments. By inputting O2 sensor voltage, the Timer can also display theoretical air fuel ratio. Since the Auto Timer uses the factory O2 sensor which is primarily designed for emissions, the readings may not be as accurate as racing air/fuel ratio monitors. The Timer can also display critical data such as O2 sensor voltage and Battery Voltage. To prevent potential theft while running, the handbrake safety feature shuts off the vehicle when the handbrake is released without the ignition key.

CONCEPT:
Provide turbos wind-down time

CHARACTERISTICS:
Easy to use; Simple and attractive design

Source : http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electronics_detail.asp?id=198&pageNum=1

Last edited:

Fluffy

3,000 RPM

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
I used to have a HKS turbo timer (4 button) on my NA car last year. Never even use it unless long distances such as Genting Highlands where u can activate the timer to cool down the engine b4 shutting it off.

Other than that... u be a laughing stock among turbo car owners out there... there is a name for this... "Poser".
yeah! total poser stuff for an NA car.

Doink

3,000 RPM

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
excuse me...there is really a use of a timer for NA engine also...if u always rev ur car kau kau...your car temp also raise kau kau....but i think most of the people didnt mod their cars so no need timer...try driving a high compression NA full throttle from down hill till up hill genting...see the temperature...and you will get the idea...

imoloq

1,000 RPM

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Hey before we say who's a poser and who's not, let's look at the engine 1st. Doink may have a point there. Extensively modded engines without a turbo may also need a timer (dun call it turbo timer here) to prevent hot oil in the engine from coking up in the lines, as quoted from Apexi's website. And, it also mention that proper cooldown is essential for a healthy turbo AND ENGINE. So, in some extreme applications, NA cars can also have timers.

Another word for poser is ricer. :P

Adeen

2,000 RPM

Adeen

2,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2006
kl
poser here....!!hehehe...stil i like my engine healthy...:)

Raja_Mongkut

500 RPM

Raja_Mongkut

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
well the name turbo timer in itself is already misleading enough..

they shoulda just called it a timer, so tat turbo owners won't feel they're priviledged to OWN a timer

Adeen

2,000 RPM

Adeen

2,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2006
kl
it's called auto timer......for NA and Turbo engines....
as stated on the apexi auto timer posted by szekeiemme

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
dont care bout proton warranty la...boe doe wan they all
service outside more worth it...

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
Dont worry for Apexi Auto Timer owner u aint poser because its already stated there TIMER FOR NA & TURBO which N/A comes first before TURBO (N/A has the more priority) Hahah dont shoot me just kidding ok.Its just up to personal preference of liking. Everyone can have it.

PocRoc what timer ur using ?

Last edited:

insane_ian

Known Member

insane_ian

Known Member
Feb 23, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
Turbo TImer on N/A Cars

Guys read this old thread..
It's all on TT's on na/turbo cars..etc...

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=68359

Read up...every one has his or her own point..
Its up to y'all to make the choice....

As for the poser part..who are we to judge..
Screw them lar if they wanna do it...But remember never judge a book by its cover..

prodigy

2,000 RPM

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
True that turbo timers are for turbo cars and are primarily used to cool down oil that is circulating inside a turbine. Its not so much to cool down the engine in general as our radiator is pretty good enough to cool down the engine after a few hours of heavy driving. Come on, cars are design to take quite a bit of a thrashing, and thats the reason why our cars are rev limited anyways.

So is there any reason at all for NA cars to use turbo timer, absolutely no as no matter how hard your car is driven, your engine radiator does a pretty good job at cooling down the parts after the engine is switched off. If no, then you probably will see a notice in your car manual that says after 3 or so hours of driving, you must leave your car idling for 2 minutes before shutting down. So don't worry about cooling your NA cars.

And whatever Apexi is marketing is their problem. Quite obviously its part of marketing strategy, that to put For NA and turbo cars. They very well know this is not necessary but installing one will not do any harm at all.

So i'd say, if you like it, just install it for the sake of it and to look cool. But there's no benefit at all.

jombiee

500 RPM

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
if ur really put a stress on NA engine i.e after a track race/day or go uphill like genting, would you just switch it off or leave it idling first ? I would idle it first & for that I use timer, I dont want to wait inside for that purpose,
....ya ya I'm a poser & a ricer for installing timer for my NA...

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
big lol. i guess the best thing to say here is "whatever rocks your boat". if you are happy with having the turbo timer in your car, why bother what other ppl think? :) its your money, and how you want to spend it is entirely up to you.

mango8866

Known Member

mango8866

Known Member
Oct 19, 2005
www.friendster.com
ixeo said:
big lol. i guess the best thing to say here is "whatever rocks your boat". if you are happy with having the turbo timer in your car, why bother what other ppl think? :) its your money, and how you want to spend it is entirely up to you.
ya totally agree with u :shades_smile:

evo5229

2,000 RPM

evo5229

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2005
KL/Kedah/Penang
i also said that before...

ANother....FOR tinted window....I TOT past fews years...there also no tint mah

y people can drive......now every want to tinted the window.....actually u can

dowan tinted 1 mer....put RM1k......last time when u drive oso dun have......then

u can ... y not now.....

That y if u like it......sure have the benefit 1 mer.....so just install....hehe....

alvin24

3,000 RPM

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
eh... did my post get deleted? Or i tak jadi click the 'ok' button? hahaha...

Anywayz... i agree with prodigy. Main purpose of the turbo timer is actually to cool off the turbo, NOT the engine itself. Leaving the engine idle will raise its temperatures, not cool it down. The temperatures will raise till the temp. sensor kicks in and the fan turns on. The fan simulates a driving speed of roughly 60km/h. That logic alone will tell you, your temperature is actually lower while u're driving (not hard driving la).

Just something for u guys to ponder, have you ever noticed, cars that break down coz' overheat are usually during traffic jams and not while driving at normal speeds?

jombiee,
I don't know about you... but for track days, once go in pit I'll stand around my car first to double confirm there isn't any unusual activity... in case there is any overheating and all. i usually leave the keys in the ignition also la although I have a turbo timer.
As for genting... You can drive up hard... yes, but when u reach the peak, the traffic + speed bumps would make u drive slowly... and by the time u enter a parking lot and find for a parking space... your engine's most likely already cooled.

But anyway, these kinda accessories is personal preference lar. Wanna get it just get it lar... don't have to make up excuses as to console yourself why u wanna get it lar. Much like having meters in the car... if you like, just buy it lah. Bottom like is... you like it, and therefore u get it.

If other people judge u by it... say u ah beng or poser... he is an idiot. =Þ

insane_ian

Known Member

insane_ian

Known Member
Feb 23, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
Yup i have to so agree its a personal choice

Some guys wear boxers some wears underwear...

How come we never make talk about that...

The ones with underwear have less chance of getting saggy balls compared to the boxers one etc...etc..

Its a personal choice...

Ps sorry for the lil gay talk....bored in the office...

acbc

4,000 RPM

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
alvin24 is right...

Hottest part of a turbo engine is the turbo itself, easily reach 500 C or higher. On NA, engine heat is nothing... rev high or not. This is because, by the time u slow down... it would have cooled down already. On turbo engine, it is still hot. Hot enough to burn an egg to crisp.

I rev my engine hard enough to start a fire in the engine bay a couple of months ago... was chasing a 4WD VR4. After I stopped the car, the entire exhaust manifold was glowing red and u can feel the heat 1m away from the car.

insane_ian

Known Member

insane_ian

Known Member
Feb 23, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
Well guys i guess there's no right or wrong in fixing a TT in na car or turbo..
But having a TT will be a much more right thing for turbo as it cools down the turbine...or manifold...which acbc and fluffy said...

It serves more as its name dee its called a TURBO TIMER....

alvin24

3,000 RPM

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
acbc said:
alvin24 is right...

Hottest part of a turbo engine is the turbo itself, easily reach 500 C or higher. On NA, engine heat is nothing... rev high or not. This is because, by the time u slow down... it would have cooled down already. On turbo engine, it is still hot. Hot enough to burn an egg to crisp.

I rev my engine hard enough to start a fire in the engine bay a couple of months ago... was chasing a 4WD VR4. After I stopped the car, the entire exhaust manifold was glowing red and u can feel the heat 1m away from the car.
Hahaha... reminds me of something... I once had a friend.... drive up genting got tekan tekan la of coz'... reach the top... stop the car... open bonnet... and light his ciggarette with the manifold for a puff while waiting for the engine to cool down... =Þ hehehe... Thats how HOT it gets in there with a turbo.

acbc

4,000 RPM

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
alvin24 said:
Hahaha... reminds me of something... I once had a friend.... drive up genting got tekan tekan la of coz'... reach the top... stop the car... open bonnet... and light his ciggarette with the manifold for a puff while waiting for the engine to cool down... =Þ hehehe... Thats how HOT it gets in there with a turbo.
Hhmm... there is must be something we can do with all the wasted heat from the turbo... maybe set up a BBQ pit? Or use it to warm our foods.

The idea came from my visit to Beijing in 2000 where the people make use of whatever heat source they can find during winter.

mango8866

Known Member

mango8866

Known Member
Oct 19, 2005
www.friendster.com
hahaha...such a good way to light cigaratte ,cant imagine wads the feeling if touch on the manifold by our hand:emoticon_U: