Torque over Horsepower for daily drivers

Needles Tosay

Newspeed
Jun 10, 2020
Petaling Jaya

I'm back again and this time, Torque over Horsepower for daily drivers.

We are seeing a growing number of new generation small engines that make good NM figures, which when matched with nice transmission ratios can provide impressive performance, especially when targeted at the more frequently used low end torque area.

As many of us knows, torque is what matters most in our daily driving needs, overcoming ramps, moving off from standstill etc. The bigger the number, obviously the greater the driving enjoyment. Its like the protein

Torque versus HP
  • One easy way to understand this is like when you twist the cap off a bottle.
  • As you use your strength to turn the cap, you are applying torque
  • As the cap becomes free you apply horsepower to spin the cap off quickly.
  • With more muscle, in this case torque, it takes less effort to free the cap
Why is torque important for daily driving;
  • Helps us get up to speed faster
  • More effortless to drive
  • Less revs less thirsty
  • Climbing hillls
  • Quicker & easier from standstill
  • Overtaking, especially on an incline
  • Just less harsh overall
  • Carry more cargo
Torque is what?
  • Torque literally means the amount of force that makes something turn.
  • Yes, turn as in turning on an axis. Like turning a drive shaft or even pushing to open a door on its hinges.
  • Torque applied is either static or dynamic
  • Static torque is when no acceleration is involved. Like a cyclist pedalling at a constant speed
  • Dynamic torque is when there's an angular acceleration. Like when a car launches off at green light.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Everyone should drive diesels!
but diesels aren’t great at ZTH, it has turbo.
2.2 CX-5 turbo diesel 9.1s
2.5 CX-5 turbo 7.7s
2.5 CX-5 non turbo 8.8s
2.0 CX-5 10.4s

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
soft (just going with what they call em) turbos are nice and all but if u wana feel the g forces, sometimes x cukup... bik sipot on the other hand manyak lambat but kick kao... somethings got to give end of the day...

electrics are the one to watch out for, but.... current tax structure, forget it. ill keep my gas guzzlers

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
but diesels aren’t great at ZTH, it has turbo.
2.2 CX-5 turbo diesel 9.1s
2.5 CX-5 turbo 7.7s
2.5 CX-5 non turbo 8.8s
2.0 CX-5 10.4s
cx suvs are rubbish. Hehe.. anyway I've had plenty of run-ins with those damn hiluxs and tritons, turbo or not - they are not slow man. No top speed but their pickup is all I care about. Even those newer defenders (not the latest, haven't had the chance to try)... my gawd so much love for those. The only SUVs I can accept!

Those diesel trucks always like to tail my VR when there is traffic. Once open up, they are not fast enough......lol
Top speed I don't compare la. I doubt any diesel is that powerful enough, except perhaps the 3.0 BMW e60 Hartge that I reviewed a while back in RNR. 800nm of torque is no joke man.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
turbo vs supercharge.... which one have more torque?
It's a subjective question. There are massive horsepower supercharged cars and there's massive horsepower turbo cars out there. Both can be good as long as you build it that way. Hell - even NA can have high torque if built that way

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
It depends on how fast we want to go. Even at 118hp i can cruise comfortably at 130-140kmh thus i dont need more.
Just look at the fast everyday cars we see on our highway, most of them got well below 200hp...i can even lower that figure to 150hp.

I would appreciate more torque. Modern small but force fed engine can provide both.They provide slightly more hp but loads more torque. Only problem is the delivery of the power. Some gb just dont do justice to the output figure.

Horsepower increases adrenaline, torque reduces stress. Which one u want?
Both are dangerous once it reach ridiculus figure.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Top speed I don't compare la. I doubt any diesel is that powerful enough, except perhaps the 3.0 BMW e60 Hartge that I reviewed a while back in RNR. 800nm of torque is no joke man.
Not top speed, say they tail me at 80 to 90kph, then front car move aside, I can pull off faster, they can't tail me anymore.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It's a subjective question. There are massive horsepower supercharged cars and there's massive horsepower turbo cars out there. Both can be good as long as you build it that way. Hell - even NA can have high torque if built that way
NA needs big displacement to make big torque.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
cx suvs are rubbish. Hehe.. anyway I've had plenty of run-ins with those damn hiluxs and tritons, turbo or not - they are not slow man. No top speed but their pickup is all I care about. Even those newer defenders (not the latest, haven't had the chance to try)... my gawd so much love for those. The only SUVs I can accept!

CX SUVs are rubbish? Strong statement, many reviewers say zoom-zoom, drives like a car etc. I've driven a CX-5 around the Glenmarie test drive road, doesn't feel too wobbly for its height, but it was slow - I insisted to drive the 2.0 model.

If CX is rubbish, what is X70, CRV etc? And if you were forced to buy a SUV for your family drive due to frequent flash floods, what would you buy? Subaru Forester? Omg CVT god no.

I would buy a G63 or Cayanne GTS or a Macan but sadly I cannot afford to buy it or pay the road tax.

Coz diesels usually run out of breath/cannot rev higher.
Indeed. But I don't see much point for a 2.2 diesel in the CX-5 unless you do a lot of mileage. Then the fuel savings would be worthwhile.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How much work am i looking at to fit a ver.7 Brembos on a satria (both 4pot-frnt/2pot-rear)..? :bike:
I was wondering Cause the sti's brembo caliper mounts on the back-end of rotor compared to Evos that mounts them on front-end of rotor like most FWD brake.

Other than having to use a wheel dat fits.. wat bout the caliper mounting brackets etc.
Is it actually impossible? any experience on this kind of conversions..? :hmmmm:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience