top overhaul

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
have anyone done top overhaul for their evo 3 engine?

my mechanic recommend to do a top overhaul as my car is pretty old.
Turn 20, engine 18 yrs, 200k over mileage.
I clock less than 10k per annual as this car is only use for long distance travelling.
I'm the 2nd owner

he has quoted me around RM1.5k for the top overhaul.
still waiting for his breakdown details quotation/

Currently, the engine
don't have any white smoke
high FC due to the ISC controller.. idle rpm is around 2 rpm.
flywheel oil seal leak
blown head gasket
clutch may have sands
TD05 16g turbo dying soon, from 1 bar to now 0.8 bar
temperature is around 80-90, no overheat issue so far.
driveshaft boot

any thoughts?
is RM 1.5k consider acceptable?
I remember when I first got the car, I have changed the belts hence cost may be lower since I can reuse the belts (provided they are still ok)

I'm thinking of saving cost, wait until turbo is really dead then replace.
what would be a good replacement for TD05 16g?

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
RM1.5k is for what? Open up, if need to change other parts cost will sure go up. Myself old school so will repair when got problem, but I do see you have blown head gasket. Maybe good time to do it up....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
RM1.5k is for what? Open up, if need to change other parts cost will sure go up. Myself old school so will repair when got problem, but I do see you have blown head gasket. Maybe good time to do it up....
Probably that is just workmanship...

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
u sure theres a headgasket leak? imo thats reason enough to get things fixed.... and usually when you go that low... its not that cheap...

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
idle at 2k rpm with aircon ?. ISC make me crazy before. Plus playing with BISS screw...extra crazy.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
so hows the review, done before and after?

do you find it kinda costly to maintain this engine?
always got a lot of leaks and issues..
I have no experience in before overhaul, the engine just got transplant into pv6 and endorse etc recently. Only have it 1 week drive experience. I did the top before plonk it in. Worry free though. everymorning when start, the exhaust is dripping wet :biggrin:

As for the cost to maintain, knowing on how the e3 behave and its manja, should be ok. Besides its a performance engine, service and maintenance more or less with my v6, except E3 need to handle with care and require full attention on its temp etc. Leaks or issue, there must be part/upgrades doesnt go well together IMO.

Not like v6 NA last time..pedal to the metal, close i no need to worry, engine can handle full time 160-180kmh kl to penang :driver:

Last edited:

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
I have no experience in before overhaul, the engine just got transplant into pv6 and endorse etc recently. Only have it 1 week drive experience. I did the top before plonk it in. Worry free though. everymorning when start, the exhaust is dripping wet :biggrin:

As for the cost to maintain, knowing on how the e3 behave and its manja, should be ok. Besides its a performance engine, service and maintenance more or less with my v6, except E3 need to handle with care and require full attention on its temp etc. Leaks or issue, there must be part/upgrades doesnt go well together IMO.

Not like v6 NA last time..pedal to the metal, close i no need to worry, engine can handle full time 160-180kmh kl to penang :driver:
wise choice, you have made the right move.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
yes.. 2k rpm with aircon..

even my wife can notice it, she say what is wrong with the car..
very noisy.. :confused:
intentionally make it at 2k rpm?

currently Idle with aircond is at 1k rpm..once compressor kick in, panic..hahaha..the engine didnt stall but rpm running at 4-600..

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor

currently Idle with aircond is at 1k rpm..once compressor kick in, panic..hahaha..the engine didnt stall but rpm running at 4-600..
no lah.. faulty ISC..

FC is very high.. I didn't notice until the recent trip to Ipoh and cheras.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

no lah.. faulty ISC..

FC is very high.. I didn't notice until the recent trip to Ipoh and cheras.
get idle speed controller checked.
Easy to replace yourself also. I done it.
But need guts to do, Dismantle new ISC, set the shaft to middle position. Fix back to throttle body.
Plug the cable to old isc as a decoy/ cheat ecu. Start the engine. Set biss to 750-800rpm.
Off engine connect cable to new isc. Settle.
I got no way, googling n research. Foreman blur with his scanner tool too. :banghead:

except warm start idle, which uncle VR say old engine dy. i still can live with it.