Top Gear's "Faster than an Evo Challenge"

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

I've decided to post some videos to poke fun at Izso's "Car modification - the dummies guide". While Izso has brought up most of the modifications in theory, let's see the theory put to test, when the Top Gear guys spent £5,200 purchasing the Renault Avantime and was given less then £10,000 in spending money to improve the car's performance, to beat an Evo round the track. While an Mitsubishi Evo costs £30,000 and does the Top Gear Test Track at 1.28.2 , the Renault Avantime does the same at 1.42.5. That's about 14 seconds to lose. Can these guy's do it, or its a waste of money! That's about the price of a Perodua Myvi in Malaysia, for the modification money you could use! Check out the awesome video.

Top Gear's "Faster Than an Evo Challenge" Part 1 - YouTube

Top Gear's "Faster Than an Evo Challenge" Part 2 - YouTube

Top Gear's "Faster Than an Evo Challenge" Part 3 - YouTube

Attachments

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I want the wheels, the brakes...

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
lol! i really couldnt believe my eyes when they put ap racing brakes worth 3000 quid, seriously

dawghause

Aug 4, 2009
Subang Jaya
wait am I the only one that finds this post very self-contradicting.

being posted by someone who is trying to get people to fund a supercar challenging Z-car?

did i miss something?

Starkiller

500 RPM
May 19, 2010
Hartamas
wait am I the only one that finds this post very self-contradicting.

being posted by someone who is trying to get people to fund a supercar challenging Z-car?

did i miss something?
how is it contradicting? Do explain

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I've read it somewhere that if you want to go fast, get a fast car rather than modifying a slow/average car to go fast. I believe that's true. However, not many people can afford a fast car right? Reality hurts.. :big grin:.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
I've read it somewhere that if you want to go fast, get a fast car rather than modifying a slow/average car to go fast. I believe that's true. However, not many people can afford a fast car right? Reality hurts.. :big grin:.
or in this video, they didn't go with the more technical bits, that is to swap the motor for a high powered v8 engine or turbocharged the 3.0 v6 as found in the avantime. 206hp translates similar horsepower in the golf gti, that carries so much more weight. should they spend about 30,000 pounds rather than 15,000 pounds collectively, they could have gotten an evo beater, nevertheless. and they did definitelys have some time, its just that money was not enough to finish off the project.

i believe the show is to poke fun at british's modification culture, deeming it rather unnecessary, but then again, it really depends on how u do it. if you dump in a rotary engine, toyota 2jz supra engine or nissan skyline engine, that car would rock you to heaven.

zaid

May 5, 2006
sure kevin, it's all about time, passion and a lot of $$$...hahhahaha
:rolleyes::rolleyes:wonder how much car modifying industries worth in MY.

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
bigger brakes but no engine performance upgrade is just nothing but adding unnecessary weight to ur car my dear captain slow lol..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

im juz curius
fitting in a 1.5 hydraulic clutch pump in a 1.6liter engine does it effect anything ?
its look almost the the same like the 1.6 hydraulic pump but smaller a bit ..
thanks !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience