Tony Fernandes conferred CBE by Queen Elizabeth II

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Tony Fernandes, the team principal of the Lotus Racing team and Chief Executive Officer of AirAsia, has been conferred the Commander of the Order of the British Empire title by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for his services to promote commercial and educational links between the United Kingdom and Malaysia.

A great entrepreneur, Fernandes and his three partners turned an ailing AirAsia around in just over nine years into Asia’s largest low-cost carrier that links the southeast region to the larger world with affordable air travel. In 2007, he founded AirAsia X, the long-haul carrier that now connects Kuala Lumpur to London, further spurring travel between the countries for tourists and students alike.

He then stepped into the pinnacle of motorsports, Formula One, leading the Lotus Racing team through the 2010 season. Together with his partners for that venture, Kamarudin Meranun and SM Nasarudin, the trio have achieved their target for last year of being the top new team and are now looking to mount a stronger battle for this year.

Not content with just reshaping the air travel industry, Fernandes has applied his AirAsia tagline, ‘Now Everyone Can Fly,’ into other ventures as well. He founded the Tune Group of companies that is the umbrella corporation for Tune Hotels (budget hotels, including one in central London), Tune Talk (pre-paid mobile telecommunications provider) and Tune Money (insurance and finance). Fernandes was also a key figure in the effort to found a campus for Britain’s prestigious Epsom College in Malaysia, something he held close to his heart as Epsom was his alma mater.

“I'm grateful to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for the honour. It is recognition of the hard work, determination and effort on the part of all my partners, colleagues and staff in AirAsia, Tune Group and Team Lotus. We have a terrific bunch of talented people working with us to make things happen in whatever venture we undertake. This is as much their award as it is mine,” said Fernandes on the award.

This is the second major European award conferred on Fernandes. Last year, he was awarded the title of Officier of the Légion d’honneur by the French Government, the highest award for a non-French national, for his contributions to the aviation industry. He was also recently named ‘Asia Businessman of the Year 2010’ by Forbes magazine.

Having achieved his dreams on the back of his personal credo of, ‘Dream the impossible, believe the unbelievable and never take no for an answer,’ Fernandes is determined to hel others realise their dreams too through his business ventures.

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
dato' ship from malaysia not worth....

so he get from UK instead..

:biggrin:

SUJAAR AR RACING

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
The man with dream.... he is absolute hero... a lot of things we have to learn from him

skytech

500 RPM
Feb 19, 2008
Malaysia never thanks those who really work hard , those laosy n no brain guy simply get a dato, tan sri, and Tun.

Anyway good job from Tony !! Fly Airasia !!!

Charles

I brake very late....
Jan 7, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Even non-Mahresian appreciates his effort, nothing wrong with that.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
datuk seri...
anyway, he wont get the sir... anyone oppose me on this?

kevindass

Oct 26, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
only if Tony changes his Team to his own racing team,. ..then he should make the rear wings to carry this title :
While Red Bull only ' GIVES YOU WINGS, .. Tony F1 Racing Team ' MAKES YOU FLY '..
bravo uncle tony..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dear sifu,

i would like to swap engine 4g92 dohc with ngv.

how much the price and what thing do o need to take care.

thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience