Timing belt question?!??!!

tangtang22

Jul 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Dear all,

Need ur input as i plan to change my 4G93 timing belt.

My mechanic tells me need to change oil seal n the belt only, but not the tensioner as he says the tensioner no issue no kacau. Is that true?

Meanwhile, what brand to recommend? Tot of using back MMC, however the mechanic says now no more MMC and recommends Gates instead... Pening la, any brands u would recommend instead n where to get them??

thanks

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
the timing belt set consists of timing belt, tensioner & bearings. unless if u using power belt then u wont get the rest.
recommended to change all 3 mentioned stuffs to avoid complications in the future.

gates is good enuf, reasonable price & good quality, just beware of immitations, buy from reputable spare part shop.

tangtang22

Jul 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
So gates boleh pakai la.. Ok then, next question, where to get reputable spare parts shop? I went to a shop in seapark (wont name them) and i realise the gates packaging is different from others I have seen.. So i really need reputable spare part shops in PJ/Damansara area..

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
there is a hologram logo on the box together with their manufacturer sticker that requires u to sms your car model & mileage to them
for warranty.
where u staying? i always buy my parts near my hse, price is cheap with quality parts, always busy during the day.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
I bought gates timing belt last time, warranty card all got except the hologram thing.
How ah? Already installed in car.

The print on the belt no defect like the one posted in the net.

One more thing i notice, the bearing is from GMB?

But why others from KOYO.?

Gates give koyo bearing only or i bought fake one?

tangtang22

Jul 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Punk, likely u did not get the full Gates set.

I just realised that there are many packaging for gates timing belt n have to be careful when purchasing. Which is y i m seeking for referral for reputable auto parts shop here.. Hope those who know such places are willing to share : )

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Punk, likely u did not get the full Gates set.

I just realised that there are many packaging for gates timing belt n have to be careful when purchasing. Which is y i m seeking for referral for reputable auto parts shop here.. Hope those who know such places are willing to share : )
i get the full set, all the thing is actually inside the box.
jus the oil seal package and bearing is different.
1.Oil seal from corteco/NOK
2.Bearing is from GMB with green color seal.

after u buy, u check see if the bearing is from KOYO.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the timing belt set consists of timing belt, tensioner & bearings. unless if u using power belt then u wont get the rest.
recommended to change all 3 mentioned stuffs to avoid complications in the future.

gates is good enuf, reasonable price & good quality, just beware of immitations, buy from reputable spare part shop.
Yup, my mechanic always ask to change all even though no kacau and no noise but after so many k km mileage it should have worn. The problem is since already opening up might as well change, because if make noise later have to pay for labor to open up again. Some even change the water pump if this is located after timing belt...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Found this on the net.
Source from: Original & fake Timing belts

To provide a smooth engine operation, timing belts connect and manage related devices!
Genuine timing belts are durable because they are protected by fabric jackets! It offers high resistance against temperatures ranging from -40C to +140C.

When comparing an original timing belt with a fake, genuine has glossy white threads while fake has non-glossy black threads which is easily worn or torn! As a timing belt durability test result, genuine belt can handle 3,015kgf while fake handles only 2,044kgf.

It shows that genuine timing belt is 1.5 times stronger than fake one.

Genuine belt’s middle threads form even line distribution, but fake one’s threads form uneven distribution cause low durability.
Installing fake parts on vehicles may result in engine damage and premature breakdown.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Found this on the net.
Source from: Original & fake Timing belts

To provide a smooth engine operation, timing belts connect and manage related devices!
Genuine timing belts are durable because they are protected by fabric jackets! It offers high resistance against temperatures ranging from -40C to +140C.

When comparing an original timing belt with a fake, genuine has glossy white threads while fake has non-glossy black threads which is easily worn or torn! As a timing belt durability test result, genuine belt can handle 3,015kgf while fake handles only 2,044kgf.

It shows that genuine timing belt is 1.5 times stronger than fake one.

Genuine belt’s middle threads form even line distribution, but fake one’s threads form uneven distribution cause low durability.
Installing fake parts on vehicles may result in engine damage and premature breakdown.
Nice find! Although if we wanna see the fabric, must cut. HAHAHA

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I'll be bringing my mk3 Toyota Supra with a 1JZ twin-turbo engine with me to Malaysia soon.

And I was wondering where would be a good place to take my car if it needed a service. Are there any places who specialize in Toyota engines, specifically the 1JZ? I'll be living in Penang, so I don't really want to travel to KL every time I want to get my engine looked at.

Well hope you guys can help.

Cheers,
OzXchange
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience