Tappet Sound

InitialD

Aug 27, 2004
Guys, is it true that when you use certain brand of engine oil, the tappets sound could be eliminated? Does anybody know what caused the tappet to become noisy? How to remedy this problem? Is it costly?

alvin24

Thicker oil help reduce tappet sounds... but it will still be there lar. I've used Magnatec before... and it also cuts down the tappet sounds by quite a lot.

But the best solution... open the head and service all the tappets... have them replaced if they have been damaged (damaged tappets produces sound oso). Price, if u go SkyZone which is where I did mine... if i remember correctly it was 150 i think... for the servicing. Tappets retail around 90 bucks per piece.

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
SoMeWhErE
What is that sound actually?
I don't really know. :( Is that the sound when we climb hills slowly with a high gear. I mean 3,4,5 gear. It sound like, grek grek grek grek grek. :lol:
Am i right? :(

InitialD

Aug 27, 2004
Originally posted by ken12292703@Jan 5 2005, 23:11
I don't really know. :( Is that the sound when we climb hills slowly with a high gear. I mean 3,4,5 gear. It sound like, grek grek grek grek grek. :lol:
You can hear it when your car is idle...it's goes something like "clak-clak-clak-clak-clak-clak-clak-clack"

ken12292703

SoMeWhErE
:) Thank you very very much. Now i know. :) Thank you.

How about;

Is that the sound when we climb hills slowly with a high gear. I mean 3,4,5 gear. It sound like, grek grek grek grek grek.
I still don't know. :( It that called pinging? Sorry to have a different topic here.

ezwong2002

Mar 21, 2004
Butterworth, Penang
www.geocities.com
grekgrek..clakclak... :lol: all the while i tot is 'tet tet tet tet' dats why we call it tappets... tet tet tet.. :lol: RM90 each eh? brand new? no guarantees lor.. after 6months come again.. sigh

ken12292703

SoMeWhErE
:lol: clak clak clak tet tet tet grek grek grek :lol: Later got someone say boing boing boing. Mine no sound when idle wor, but when full acceleration on low RPM got " tet tet " or " grek grek " or clak clak " sound worr. I fell scared to step on it.

g88

Jan 28, 2004
Try not to use Full Synthetic oil since it's thin right ?

dolly

Dec 24, 2003
mine is ticktickticktick wor... got tak tak oso but only during cold morning starts for a few seconds

GSR5559

me too..got tet tet during morning cold start..but after temp go higher den quiet again..but usually if u did a head repair b4, no sound for like 3 months den after that it will come again..from wht i heard usually 1.8 facing this kind of probs..sum uses lubricant to stop the sound but i guess it wont werk, it will come again and again, so jus leave it alone,it wont do any harm i guess..been driving like that for the past 2 yers without any probs..

alvin24

Originally posted by ken12292703@Jan 5 2005, 23:11
Thats engine knocking / pinging.

GSR5559,
To be exact.... all 4G9X series have the same problem. I'm having it on my 4G91 as well.

yes, it doesn't really cause any problems... but its pretty darn irritating. I'd rather get it serviced and be rid with the sound... the tappet sound problem comes from revving the engine too high too long too much. I have a friend who drove his 4G91 without really revving it (slow driver)... he never had such tappet problems. :o :o :o really something to wow about. Hehehez.

If minor tappet problems... u'll only hear it during cold starts. More serious tappet problems, u'll hear it constantly till u rev ur engine above a certain RPM then it goes away for a while... before it comes back again.

Also remember to check your oil level... insufficient engine oil can cause tappet sounds as well... assuming your tappets are actually in healthy conditions.

miveccom

Oct 13, 2004
InMyCar
Originally posted by ken12292703@Jan 5 2005, 23:19
:) Thank you very very much. Now i know. :) Thank you.

How about;

Is that the sound when we climb hills slowly with a high gear. I mean 3,4,5 gear. It sound like, grek grek grek grek grek.
I still don't know. :( It that called pinging? Sorry to have a different topic here.
bro..u need to tune your and adjust the distributor..some people called it knocking..donno what actual terms..Normally happens to carb only kot..cheers :D

gsr

Yup like what alvin says, this is due to the design & use of hydraulic lifters in the 4G9x series engine, esp 4G93 :(
Its supposed to b self-adjusting thus no way to readjust the tappet

Well, i've been using fully synthetic oil since my 1st oil change after run-in and no problemo. Just minor ticking sounds at startup. Some of the guys out there r also running on synthetic and ok 2. :)

MitonCT26

Seremban
it does not only apply to 4G9x series...the 4G6X also kena one...

mine will clatter like crazy after warm up, during slow drives... <_<

problem started since i installed the cams...aiyah...change engine oil also the same.

emo that time use castrol RS try see can eliminate the problem or not... :P

actually the tappet sound some ignore it...some scared engine koyak la.... :lol:

me? just ignore it...ppl will think engine kondem...hahahah i happy... :lol:

Rekalo

Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by GSR5559@Jan 6 2005, 02:58
me too..got tet tet during morning cold start..but after temp go higher den quiet again..but usually if u did a head repair b4, no sound for like 3 months den after that it will come again..from wht i heard usually 1.8 facing this kind of probs..sum uses lubricant to stop the sound but i guess it wont werk, it will come again and again, so jus leave it alone,it wont do any harm i guess..been driving like that for the past 2 yers without any probs..

yes i agree that, mine too have the same problem when morning session...it will go off after a few minutes...not necessary in 4G9xx series...even in my 4G6xx series oso got :huh: ...but when use my stock 4G6xx head ok...mine after my head upgration...aiyo PENING redy...but pomen said,no need 2 worry coz it wont effect anything..somore d tappet things if wana change...mmm...Tepuk Poket tanye selera :lol:

Dear Mr FocalPoint,

I am thrilled to read so many good reviews about Tufoil. Since I am staying in Shah Alam, I would appreciate if you can share your distributor's address & contact number located in Shah Alam.

I am planning to pour my 1st Tufoil into my 11 years old 660 Perodua Kancil engine.

Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you