Stock Air Filter Box Humming Noise

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Need some help here, my car is facing performance issue after cleaning air filter. My intake system is still stock except for the Works Engineering drop in air filter. Previously it drives good without performance and noise issue. Yesterday after i briefly check the air filter and clean the stuck dead bugs and leaves, i reinstalled and made sure nothing's loose. After that, my car is making loud humming noise at lower rev range, about 2 - 2.5k and loosing abit of low end torque. I tried to refit the air filter again and it does the same. Took it to the mechanic and they said no problems found :confused:

Today morning the noise is lessen, performance is better but still have not back to its best state. My question is, am i looking at loose air filter housing components or some mechanical parts are failing? Please help because i am really worried of the engine.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Is the humming sound mechanically from the engine?
Or is some plastic vibration?

However, it should have some growl sound as the intake sound will be a little different

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear Johnson,

It's not plastic vibration nor mechanically noise from the engine, because the engine rev noise is easily differentiate from the humming noise because it's really generated from the air filter location. Furthermore, i can hear 2 different set of noises when revving up, the humming will be gone once passed 2.5k rpm. When i first fit the new air filter, it does not growl or hum like now ...

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Check the bottom bracket of the air box.. there is a grove/catch that needs to be secured first before sliding in the air filter..

Happened to my Lancer before, it looked ok from the top as it looked like it catches on well and tight, but the bottom is actually opened up with almost an inch gap. That may be the problem.

The other thing if it's only at certain RPM is your MAP sensor might be reading some weird reading and giving wrong information to your engine (cam, timing and such)... Check if the sensors are dirty... If you still have your original filters, just fit it back and see if the sound is still there..

If it is not something mechanical.. you might wanna try reset your ECU (removing Battery and installing it back)...

Hope these helps.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Check the bottom bracket of the air box.. there is a grove/catch that needs to be secured first before sliding in the air filter..

Happened to my Lancer before, it looked ok from the top as it looked like it catches on well and tight, but the bottom is actually opened up with almost an inch gap. That may be the problem.

The other thing if it's only at certain RPM is your MAP sensor might be reading some weird reading and giving wrong information to your engine (cam, timing and such)... Check if the sensors are dirty... If you still have your original filters, just fit it back and see if the sound is still there..

If it is not something mechanical.. you might wanna try reset your ECU (removing Battery and installing it back)...

Hope these helps.
Dear Johnson,

The bottom bracket, does it suppose to have a secure clip or just plug it on before i slide in the air filter? Should i secure the bottom bracket as per mentioned before i try to slide in the filter?

I would try my luck on cleaning the MAF sensor first ... It's been some time since my last cleaning.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
There is no secure clip.. it's just a grove for you to plug it in.. and it opens up easily when angled wrongly.. Give it a try.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dear All,
my car is facing performance issue after cleaning air filter
Define cleaning air filter...
Were you using water or just a soft brush? Air gun is a big no as it will spoil the woven
mesh. If you're using water with soap, make sure it properly dry.
Perhaps, you need to re-oil the filter. As most aftermarket air filter with very less oiling
will give a noticeably hollow engine sound.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe problem with the sensor. Try erasing the memory by removing the battery terminal as mentioned by bro. johnson

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Define cleaning air filter...
Were you using water or just a soft brush? Air gun is a big no as it will spoil the woven
mesh. If you're using water with soap, make sure it properly dry.
Perhaps, you need to re-oil the filter. As most aftermarket air filter with very less oiling
will give a noticeably hollow engine sound.
Dear ColdPlay

I am aware of your concern, just simple use brush pen to take out those shit looking stuffs and sands trap within the air filter. Re-oil and put back on.

Maybe problem with the sensor. Try erasing the memory by removing the battery terminal as mentioned by bro. johnson
Dear vr2

Thanks for your concern, just want to notify you all, i solved the problem. There is a leakage in the airbox, i accidentally damage it while removing the air filter, once i sealed it with duct tape, everything is as good as new.

Lesson to all, handle your car like handle your lady :banghead:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Oh! like that cannot mess around with you......:rofl:
LOL, don't be ... Law is there to govern people man ... Anyway just want to ask, is APEXI open pod air filter is still on sale around ?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Heard from some, no more already. Mostly Imitation from China....:banghead:
Haiya ... just when i felt like modifying to aftermarket open pod ... I don't want K&N as too many people using it ... Want something different ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Folks i would like to know ig anyone has/have install this intake before in thier 1.8 mivec setup...hows the performance n respond type...

im considering between skunk2/performer X or Victor X
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience