Standard absorber

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I have exp few adjustable brand like HWL, DII...the cheap2 stuff.
All of them are beyond my tolerance level. Its too hard. I used the term hard here not firm.
Hard is uncomfortable but better handling.
Firm is tolerable with good handling.

For some improvement on handling without compromising comfort much then will have to keep the stock spring and change the absorber plus some chassis bar.

Its down to how much comfort you can sacrifice really.
My recommended combo is front top and bottom bar while retaining the stock ARB.
This will help improve the response, i know it coz this is what i do on my waja = just like Izso said.
Sport spring is out of the window as its too uncomfortable and will give away the old uncle looks.
So, i opt for Proride OE replacement absorber.
It is a bit firmer than OE as the manufacturer claim and height remain the same.
Its good for high speed cruising oso.
Another plus point is its cheaper than other brand.However, sometime this year there are rumors circulating that their product is having quality issue. No problem for me so far.

Just my exp though....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Can I?
Really?

I read about this method and it really a mixture of comfort and performance. Something that I will consider to go for without spending much.

But who can actually do it? Is it doable?
I went to a few workshop and discuss this before but none knows about it.
They just promote me their own brands or items..

My standard OEM suspension. Springs are much bigger in diameter

My D2 coil over, springs smaller in diameter. If you have coil overs already can just change the springs to lighter strength....:driver:

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Great, bro vr2turbo, whatsapp me. I lost your number.

If I not wrong, also using D2 adjustable from previous owner.

I saw in mudah that those adjustable spring comes in many spring rate. 2k to 14k.. the higher the better?
And also length of the spring.

Can share with me what's it about.

But I don't know how to identify the spring rate of my current adjustable.
Probably next sat when I go back to johor for tuning, I see if the workshop can helps.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

I have exp few adjustable brand like HWL, DII...the cheap2 stuff.
All of them are beyond my tolerance level. Its too hard. I used the term hard here not firm.
Hard is uncomfortable but better handling.
Firm is tolerable with good handling.

For some improvement on handling without compromising comfort much then will have to keep the stock spring and change the absorber plus some chassis bar.

Its down to how much comfort you can sacrifice really.
My recommended combo is front top and bottom bar while retaining the stock ARB.
This will help improve the response, i know it coz this is what i do on my waja = just like Izso said.
Sport spring is out of the window as its too uncomfortable and will give away the old uncle looks.
So, i opt for Proride OE replacement absorber.
It is a bit firmer than OE as the manufacturer claim and height remain the same.
Its good for high speed cruising oso.
Another plus point is its cheaper than other brand.However, sometime this year there are rumors circulating that their product is having quality issue. No problem for me so far.

Just my exp though....

I thought hwl has gd reviews?

My current objective is to see if I can savage and reuse the adjustable.
If it's leaking or can't change, then I probably buy some standard absorber and change.

New year coming, going back. Want to relax and enjoy comfort.

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Any advice?

Lately, came across a seller that sell adjustable spring and he recommend front 10k 220mm while 6k 250mm rear.

Is this a good (comfortable) setup?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Any advice?

Lately, came across a seller that sell adjustable spring and he recommend front 10k 220mm while 6k 250mm rear.

The higher the rate the stronger the springs so it is more bumpy but better handling on smooth track.

10k front and 6k rear is too hard dy, many using like 6k front and 4k rears but that depends on the car, and driver's priorities.....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Any advice?

Comfort is relative. What is comfortable to you may not be for me. And I personally find 10k 6k insanely stiff.

My current objective is to see if I can savage and reuse the adjustable.
If it's leaking or can't change, then I probably buy some standard absorber and change.

New year coming, going back. Want to relax and enjoy comfort.
I'm actually planning a trip to PRS to rebuild my stock absorbers to refit back onto my car. If you like you could probably bring along your adjustables and see how much they charge to rebuild. Teins being one of their more expensive builds costs RM250 a piece. Which isn't too bad overall if you think about it.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Depends a lot on road condition in your area as well. I am using sport absorber matched with sport springs. The springs are 4k front and rear which should be relatively comfortable compared to adjustables that are usually 6k/4k at the very least. My car's stock set up is a softy 3.5k front and 2.8k rear before i change.

But for my area here, there roads are so screwed up that one actually needs the softest spring rate as much as possible because the car is bumping all the time. Even with my 4k, I feel the car is bumping and being jolted all the time on uneven roads. It's almost like riding with no springs.

Last edited:

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Comfort is relative. What is comfortable to you may not be for me. And I personally find 10k 6k insanely stiff.

I'm actually planning a trip to PRS to rebuild my stock absorbers to refit back onto my car. If you like you could probably bring along your adjustables and see how much they charge to rebuild. Teins being one of their more expensive builds costs RM250 a piece. Which isn't too bad overall if you think about it.
For me, no doubt I appreciate the road handling while on highway.. I do want certain comfort..
Based on my passengers, they prefer my previous perdana, with apm sport spring and absorber.

My feel, comfort but kinda low and not that good in handling.

I would love to pay prs a visit if they actually have a branch in johor..
The thing about johor is no one does suspension..
Ok, they does but not as in depth. Basically you just go to a workshop and have it replaced. While none actually cater to your needs. Ask them about modifying the spring on the adjustable, none actually know how or bother.

Ok, there's a few options, I'm trying to achieve cost effectiveness here.

Option 1.
I change all to stock, meaning apm sport spring with kyb excel g. This gonna cost me around rm800 with installation, will sold off the adjustable to savage the cost.

I come across a fellow in singapore, selling his eibach sport spring but for bmw. Not sure if it's a direct fit but I believe should able to fit with some modification by workshop.
Buy and replace my current adjustable spring.

I don't want a car that no one wants to sit.. but I also don't want a car that will float..

As compare to my savvy, most will prefer to sit despite its smaller. The handling and comfort is there. :driver:

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Depends a lot on road condition in your area as well. I am using sport absorber matched with sport springs. The springs are 4k front and rear which should be relatively to comfortable to adjustables that are usually 6k/4k at the very least. My car's stock set up is a softy 3.5k front and 2.8k rear. But for my area here, there roads are so screwed up that one actually needs the softest spring rate as much as possible because the car is bumping all the time. Even with my 4k, I feel the car is bumping and being jolted all the time on uneven roads. It's almost like riding with no springs.
The road here in jb, is equally as terrible.

You mean front can actually go for 4k while 2k rear?
Do note that mine is a turbo engine..
Is it possible?

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

My setup is front 215 45 17 while 225 45 17 at rear.
With eibach anti roll bar and 3 point engine bar

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The road here in jb, is equally as terrible.

You mean front can actually go for 4k while 2k rear?
Do note that mine is a turbo engine..
Is it possible?

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

My setup is front 215 45 17 while 225 45 17 at rear.
With eibach anti roll bar and 3 point engine bar
Yours with 280 horses cannot go too soft. Your previous Perdana is V6 NA so power is totally different.
One more thing, are you having rubber mounting or pillow ball?
Also why 215 front and 225 rear, keep them the same either 215 all round or 225 all round, this way can rotate your tyres.

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Yours with 280 horses cannot go too soft. Your previous Perdana is V6 NA so power is totally different.
One more thing, are you having rubber mounting or pillow ball?
Also why 215 front and 225 rear, keep them the same either 215 all round or 225 all round, this way can rotate your tyres.
Ok.. can I do like 6k front 220 while 2k 250 rear?

I don't know about the mounting or pillow ball.. I don't know much about cars.. haha, I only know how to drive.. and maintain. .

As for tyre, they came with.. hence I had to use, when time come for a change. I will change them all to 1 size.

Last edited:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

I also wanna follow.......~~I will follow you......:rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I don't know about the mounting or pillow ball.. I don't know much about cars.. haha, I only know how to drive.. and maintain. .

As for tyre, they came with.. hence I had to use, when time come for a change. I will change them all to 1 size.
Considering the size and weight of the Perdana is almost the same as my current Sylphy, I'm using 7k front 6k rear and the comfort level is so-so. I think I'd do better with 6k front 4k rear or 5k front 5k rear. But since yours is turbo-ed, probably a bit heavier so perhaps 6k or 7k front would be ideal.

After thinking a bit, I think you're better off with h/l/s/h suspension with 7k front 4k rear and just adjust the damper softness everytime you pick someone up. Then when by yourself stiffen the dampers. Best of both worlds. With that much power and weight, you'll do better with coilovers. Too soft and your handling will be affected (acceleration and stopping).

Don't bother with Eibach springs in your adjustables la, won't make a difference except the modification required.

Also, I keep forgetting you're in JB.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Suspension mounting if rubber will have some bump absorption. If pillow ball the mounting is solid metal, maybe that is why you feel bumpy. Why I ask is because I suspect is pillow ball since you mentioned to me it was 400 horses before you de-tune back to 280.
Anyway 2k for rears are too soft....

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Considering the size and weight of the Perdana is almost the same as my current Sylphy, I'm using 7k front 6k rear and the comfort level is so-so. I think I'd do better with 6k front 4k rear or 5k front 5k rear. But since yours is turbo-ed, probably a bit heavier so perhaps 6k or 7k front would be ideal.

After thinking a bit, I think you're better off with h/l/s/h suspension with 7k front 4k rear and just adjust the damper softness everytime you pick someone up. Then when by yourself stiffen the dampers. Best of both worlds. With that much power and weight, you'll do better with coilovers. Too soft and your handling will be affected (acceleration and stopping).

Don't bother with Eibach springs in your adjustables la, won't make a difference except the modification required.

Also, I keep forgetting you're in JB.
If not mistaken, his should be coil overs already so already have H/L/S/H, so need to do adjustments only, but if his rear is behind the seats like mine then need to remove seats to adjust.....lol

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Yeah.. any advice then?
Front 8k 250 rear 4k 220?
Any idea what is stock spring rate for most adjustable?

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I would like to check, how well is the aftermarket brake for 285mm rotor?
Is it about the same as stock?

my concern is, now my WHP is near 200 and i still using stock brake system.
my wheel is using 4 bot instead of 5, 2nd reason is i using 15" rims.

so if i using 285mm rotor type and branded caliper ( in complete set)
will it help for near 200 WHP? ( example evo, wrx, CTR are above 200hp and yet their stock already more then 320mm)

any recommend complete set brake for 15"
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience