SR20DE Modification

Ethan

Jan 22, 2005
Sydney
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience or insights into how an SR20De should be modded? I'm thinking of superchargin it instead of turbochargin. My reason for it is that because it is NA, it has a higher compression ratio, therefore by superchargin, i can get a smoother power output, and hopefully enough horses gained.. Im just putting together a plan as what kind of mods I should do, whether it is worth modding my S13 Q to drift or just change car..

Any comments would appreciative..

Thanks

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Dude... u know what's supercharger anot? Supercharger and turbo are basically the same thing... they're both forced induction and they both require low compression engines. The only difference between them is the driving force... ie: how the turbines are spinned... turbo uses exhaust gases, where as supercharger is belt driven... they both produce boost.
refer to this article for difference between turbocharger and supercharger:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

Advice... transplant SR20DET... else if wanna play n/a.... try going for 4-throttle. Think i've seen quite a few 4-throttle SR20s on mags before.

hope my posting helps...

Last edited:

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Yeah go 4 throttle...... Hehe.
I've a GTi-R 4 throttle for the SR20 for sale hehehe......
PM me.....

sky910

Known Member
May 1, 2005
My fren use s14 engine,of course original,can beat the wira GSR 1.8 with 1.1 bar...civic B16B...........
even can drift
car is 910

Ethan

Jan 22, 2005
Sydney
Visit site
alvin24 said:
Dude... u know what's supercharger anot? Supercharger and turbo are basically the same thing... they're both forced induction and they both require low compression engines. The only difference between them is the driving force... ie: how the turbines are spinned... turbo uses exhaust gases, where as supercharger is belt driven... they both produce boost.
refer to this article for difference between turbocharger and supercharger:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

Advice... transplant SR20DET... else if wanna play n/a.... try going for 4-throttle. Think i've seen quite a few 4-throttle SR20s on mags before.

hope my posting helps...
yea. i know of superchargers n turbochargers, but then i read somewhere about superchargin a NA engine so that you won't get the lag that turbo gives. Also i vaguely remember something about the high compression from NA engine making it more suitable for superchargin instead. Any thoughts on that? I have to say that i'm no expert, but i'm still learnin :)

and as for the 4-throttle..could you explain more? as this i don't know what it is. hehe..

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
=-þ cmng,,,,,, cmng........
wei wei how's Hyper Orange Sunkist......

4 throttle best lah wei... who wants VE if u're gonna run such radical cams kekeke....
U have to drive one to realise the benefit in throttle response and induction roar with individual throttle bodies.

Ethan

Jan 22, 2005
Sydney
Visit site
cmng said:
4 throttle on DE not much deal

put SR20VE head on it.
Okay.. you guys are gettin too technical here.. :p
I Know that a NEO VVL SR20VE has 187HP, whereas the SR20DE only has 140HP..
but u suggest just changing the head. This changes the compression doesn't it?
Or to use this head, I'm looking at having to bore the cylinders?
I'm getting really confused.. Could you explain more? thanks..

Ethan

Jan 22, 2005
Sydney
Visit site
BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
4 throttle best lah wei... who wants VE if u're gonna run such radical cams kekeke....
U have to drive one to realise the benefit in throttle response and induction roar with individual throttle bodies.
Is that what you have done to your GTi-R? but doesn't your car run on the SR20DET?

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Not sure if its kinda like mitsu mivecs where everyone just bolts on the head to a 1.6 or a 1.8 coz' same block design... so its kinda direct fit. So cross ur fingers and hope its same block design also lar... hehehe.

4-throttle going to have damn good throttle response man! But be prepared to spend more on petrol also lar... needless to say with more power comes higher fuel consumption.

Supercharging and turbocharging has no difference lar... its about how high u boost only. They both require low compressions to boost higher.... else internals will start to fall apart.

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
sky910 said:
My fren use s14 engine,of course original,can beat the wira GSR 1.8 with 1.1 bar...civic B16B...........
even can drift
car is 910
I'm going to assume its an SR20DET... which would then make the odds unfair comparing a 2.0turbo with a 1.8turbo or a 1.6vtec.
If its n/a... as much as i'd like to say anything's possible... it really seems pretty impossible since u said its stock.

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
SR20VE head on 20DE
is common thing done at japan and US nowday

Vic..soonnnn

SR20DET is sucks
same like DE and VE
4G63 and honda is best !!

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
Save the fuss and get a SR20DET. Although the DE and DET parts are interchangeable but the cost to change these are costly thus transplanting the whole thing is easier and cheaper...

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
just turbocharge the NA motor.. higher compression but if tuned well, shouldnt be a problem.. just dont go crazy with timing and boost..

heaps of cars in drift both here in Oz and in Japan running SR20DE+T.. if it does end up breaking (which it will, but think of all the fun you'll have before), then step up to an SR20DET..

have fun going sideways

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey ppl!!
mind sharing with me on this topic?
any idea how can i flush out all the dirty stuffs from the radiator?

and also... i heard ppl say, coolant isnt recommended rite? coz it will rust yr radiator or something? hehehe..

thanks!! :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience