Simplest DIY Side Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
[/IMG]

i believe there must be a reason why ppl dont use lazy style of side gapping. as posted in my Edited picture stole from Mr.SoYouThinkYOuCanDrive . you can see clearly one big problem of having it bent instead of cut. its the "GAP" that all talking about.

the rest.. its up to your own imagination. ^^

anywy.. talking about spark plug.. i heard we are going to kepong tonight?
5115 going to bring us to workshop to service them? hahaha

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
0_o" what service plug?i know nothing,where is kepong i don't know...

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
lonelylilpig,
eh?u mean d side gapping idea is stewpik or d well w 10000volts is?apparently alot of ppl say d side gapping stuff works ler..so u can't b calling dat stewpik,right?n i wud agree w u dat d 10000volts well idea is stewpik...but not so IF kenDICK decided 2 jump in der himself!hahahahhaha
Bro Akuma as i said earlier its best use for racing machines but not road going vehicles. Yes the produced spark will spark significantly stronger away from the tips but if in long term it will damage the piston. As why do spark plug manufacturers call it conventional spark plugs instead of racing tipless plugs rite ? As the stupid i mean if not refer to the sifus outside but it is addressing to ... um u know ....KenDicK.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
suitable 4 racing machines only?u mean 4 short term usage like track dats,it's ok lar...or u mean it's only suitable 4 car w race-spec engines whr they usually haf forged pistons?
so,whr is Mr.kenDICK eh?eehehehehehhe

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
i know bout it but dont know the effect...anybody can let me know the pro & con?...
Since no one knows why and even the thread starter has abandoned this thread because his knowledge is only that limited for side gapping. I'll be a little help la.:rolleyes:

Actually its an old racers trick. Do you know why the spark plug top electrode is designed in an "L" format? It is because the surface area in wide and constant above the lower electrode. Then comes advancement in the form of BOSCH super 4. With 4 point of electrodes to allow electricity to reach any 1 of the points in case of fouling at any of the 4 points. Then came another advancement in the form of SplitFire®. Where the top "L" electrode is splitted to V and you have 2 top electrodes. More area to fire in case of fouling. Then came another advancement. 360 degree firing. This one there is no top electrode, but there is a V shaped dome electrode to fire around the lower electrode. Probably the most radical idea. It was sold in Malaysia as an OEM component to Lamborghini few years ago. Cost from RM35 per piece.

Now back to the thread starters so called "idea". Its actually an old racers trick. There are 2 things they wanted to achieve from this. The first one is constant spark at one area. So the corner of the top L electrode will always fire from a specific location. Electricity will take the shortest route to complete a circuit. Which in turn explains the good response because of constant firing per combustion cycle.

The second one which practically a lost art among racers is electrode facing. This is where they mark the porcelain top of the spark plug where the "L" open end of the spark plug is facing the fuel intake area. So you put the spark closest to the fuel and air and it ignites quicker. Combined it with the way you want the spark to fire, makes engine fire even more accurate.

You side gap because you want to have a sharp shortest end to fire electricity. Also do notice it is similar to platinum plug technology where the lower electrode is small and tiny like a needle. Platinum doesn't foul easily like copper and metal does. So that is why some engines can get better response with platinum plugs because it has accurate and constant firing characteristics.

The bend electrode technique does have its cons. You have a very small firing area. Once the plug is fouled, you will be running 3 cylinders or less. Electrode metal is fatigued and possible that the "L" electrode be broken inside combustion chamber.

So to thread starter, don't start to say FCUK people with 10K volts because you think its a good idea and you own it. It was budget racers idea. And also, you do not seem to want to find out why you think it is a good idea. Now i think you learn it here and u would probably use this info to impress people.:rolleyes:

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Forgive me for doing that, but who cares lar he siok we siok then do lar !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
Time to close this thread due to lack of respond from thread starter & overwhelming members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Following a teaser video and shadowy images released a few days ago, Mercedes-Benz has unveiled its pickup truck in production form, which is set to arrive next year. Officially badged as the X-Class, this pickup truck is co-developed with Nissan and is based on the Japanese automaker’s...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience