Shell Malaysia introduces Helix Power & Helix Protect

Needles Tosay

Newspeed
Jun 10, 2020
Petaling Jaya

There are now 2 new Helix oils to choose from, one claims to protect and the other, for power users obviously. Shell says either will perform in most cars with 0W, 5W or 10W spec oils and and are well suited for Malaysian road conditions. These new releases are low viscosity, fully synthetic engine oils that promises faster flow and better coating for less wear from cold starts and longer oil drain intervals.

The Shell Helix Power is targeted at performance oriented driving and aims to improve engine power for hill driving for instance and feature additives that cater to those needs. The Shell Helix Protect however is said to help clean and preserve engine components for longer life, especially for high load city stop-start scenarios.
  • 4L Shell Helix Protect: RM240
  • 4L Shell Helix Power: RM280

“In conjunction with the launch, Shell Malaysia is running an exciting promotion. From now till while stocks last, every customer will get a free replica Scuderia Ferrari race car with the purchase of a 4-litre pack of Shell Helix Power or Shell Helix Protect from any participating workshop.”

“With the new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect, we aim to return the important engine oil decision making to the car owners. As the products’ names suggest, one gives you more power and the other gives you more protection. Simply choose one that suits your driving style or needs,” said Nyon Kam Yew, Shell Lubricants General Manager for Malaysia and Singapore.

Last edited:

Needles Tosay

Newspeed
Jun 10, 2020
Petaling Jaya
No information on how it's different from the old Helix?
It's probably an addition to the Helix family, this is the full press release

Kuala Lumpur, 14 July 2020 – Shell Malaysia Trading Sdn Bhd has introduced two new Shell Helix engine oils that focus more on the benefits to users and less on technical specifications, making it easier to choose the right engine oil based on one’s driving style and needs.

The new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect are specially designed to cater to two main driving conditions – highways and rugged terrains that demand more power and acceleration; and stop-start traffic in cities that put engines under tremendous stress; thereby, needing more protection. Compatible with all 0W, 5W or 10W specifications oils, both are suitable for most types of cars on Malaysian roads today.

The new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect, the latest innovations from Shell, the top lubricant supplier in the world for the past 13 consecutive years[1], feature PurePlus Technology, an ultra-pure base oil made from natural gas.

Engine oils are traditionally `low involvement’ products. While Malaysians are known for their love for cars, the majority are put off by technical terms and tend to leave their vehicles’ maintenance, especially the critical oil change process, to their workshops or service centres.

“With the new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect, we aim to return the important engine oil decision making to the car owners. As the products’ names suggest, one gives you more power and the other gives you more protection. Simply choose one that suits your driving style or needs[2],” said Nyon Kam Yew, Shell Lubricants General Manager for Malaysia and Singapore.

Shell Helix Power features special performance-focused additives that maximise engine power and deliver faster acceleration for smoother drives on highways, hilly terrains and open roads. It retails for RM280 for a 4-litre pack.

The engine protection-focused additives in Shell Helix Protect help cleanse engine components for longer engine life in cars that operate under stressful stop-start driving conditions in urban centres. The recommended retail price is RM240 for a 4-litre pack.

As low viscosity fully synthetic engine oils, both lubricants can flow faster to coat and protect key moving engine components during start-up. This can contribute to less wear from cold starts, better fuel economy, lower carbon emissions and lower maintenance costs from longer oil drain intervals.

“The new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect are smarter and more sustainable choices that reflect Shell’s commitment to provide more and cleaner energy solutions in a responsible way,” Nyon added.

In conjunction with the launch, Shell Malaysia is running an exciting promotion. From now till while stocks last, every customer will get a free replica Scuderia Ferrari race car with the purchase of a 4-litre pack of Shell Helix Power or Shell Helix Protect from any participating workshop.

Shell Malaysia also marked the launch of the new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect by distributing complimentary packs of the new engine oils and Shell Helix Care Kits to Grab driver-partners as part of its #BecauseWeCare initiative.

While their cars’ engines stay protected by the new Shell Helix engine oils, the drivers and passengers also enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that they are also protected during their journeys.

For information on the new Shell Helix Helix Power 0W 30 and Shell Helix Protect 0W 40, please visit www.shell.com.my/helix.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm price about the same as Amsoil Signature 0w40 which I just bought.

Let's see if Giant will have or not later. But this one seems just the same grade as the 5w40 grey bottle, just a bit different viscosity.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Let's see if Giant will have or not later. But this one seems just the same grade as the 5w40 grey bottle, just a bit different viscosity.
0w should be higher grade, but I feel this new oil is to differ them from their imported Helix Ultra where they are losing sales against. Shell overseas website don't show they have this oil......lol

Reactions: ixeo and alcyon

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's probably an addition to the Helix family, this is the full press release

Kuala Lumpur, 14 July 2020 – Shell Malaysia Trading Sdn Bhd has introduced two new Shell Helix engine oils that focus more on the benefits to users and less on technical specifications, making it easier to choose the right engine oil based on one’s driving style and needs.

The new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect are specially designed to cater to two main driving conditions – highways and rugged terrains that demand more power and acceleration; and stop-start traffic in cities that put engines under tremendous stress; thereby, needing more protection. Compatible with all 0W, 5W or 10W specifications oils, both are suitable for most types of cars on Malaysian roads today.

The new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect, the latest innovations from Shell, the top lubricant supplier in the world for the past 13 consecutive years[1], feature PurePlus Technology, an ultra-pure base oil made from natural gas.

Engine oils are traditionally `low involvement’ products. While Malaysians are known for their love for cars, the majority are put off by technical terms and tend to leave their vehicles’ maintenance, especially the critical oil change process, to their workshops or service centres.

“With the new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect, we aim to return the important engine oil decision making to the car owners. As the products’ names suggest, one gives you more power and the other gives you more protection. Simply choose one that suits your driving style or needs[2],” said Nyon Kam Yew, Shell Lubricants General Manager for Malaysia and Singapore.

Shell Helix Power features special performance-focused additives that maximise engine power and deliver faster acceleration for smoother drives on highways, hilly terrains and open roads. It retails for RM280 for a 4-litre pack.

The engine protection-focused additives in Shell Helix Protect help cleanse engine components for longer engine life in cars that operate under stressful stop-start driving conditions in urban centres. The recommended retail price is RM240 for a 4-litre pack.

As low viscosity fully synthetic engine oils, both lubricants can flow faster to coat and protect key moving engine components during start-up. This can contribute to less wear from cold starts, better fuel economy, lower carbon emissions and lower maintenance costs from longer oil drain intervals.

“The new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect are smarter and more sustainable choices that reflect Shell’s commitment to provide more and cleaner energy solutions in a responsible way,” Nyon added.

In conjunction with the launch, Shell Malaysia is running an exciting promotion. From now till while stocks last, every customer will get a free replica Scuderia Ferrari race car with the purchase of a 4-litre pack of Shell Helix Power or Shell Helix Protect from any participating workshop.

Shell Malaysia also marked the launch of the new Shell Helix Power and Shell Helix Protect by distributing complimentary packs of the new engine oils and Shell Helix Care Kits to Grab driver-partners as part of its #BecauseWeCare initiative.

While their cars’ engines stay protected by the new Shell Helix engine oils, the drivers and passengers also enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that they are also protected during their journeys.

For information on the new Shell Helix Helix Power 0W 30 and Shell Helix Protect 0W 40, please visit www.shell.com.my/helix.
So it appears to offer more weight options only. But I don't see a benefit of using the 0w range over their 5W30/40 old and much cheaper Helix oils.

Oh well - ultimately I don't use Shell so doesn't really bother me. I'm just trying to understand their marketing strategy in introducing these oils. Haha

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
0w should be higher grade, but I feel this new oil is to differ them from their imported Helix Ultra where they are losing sales against. Shell overseas website don't show they have this oil......lol
Yeah makes sense then.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Those on supermarkets are imported by a 3rd party dealer. If u see the stickers, they are not from Shell Malaysia. Formulated slightly differently, cheap, should be original, suitable for Malaysia? not so sure.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Those on supermarkets are imported by a 3rd party dealer. If u see the stickers, they are not from Shell Malaysia. Formulated slightly differently, cheap, should be original, suitable for Malaysia? not so sure.
Yes I know.
Still suitable for sure!

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
So use power, less protection. use protection, less power? Like not clearly explained.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Why not? viscosity suits our weather, probably EU oil better for environment. Some of my friends have been using for years since the time supermarkets selling it cheap.....

Reactions: alcyon

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
So use power, less protection. use protection, less power? Like not clearly explained.
Very interesting to see the result if someone send the oil for analysis.
Surely the must be difference in content even very minimal. Shell wont simply market it...later got love letter.

Myself still go for oil from supermarket. So far so good.

Reactions: alcyon

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Last year I had the opportunity to detail this church van, as prepared her to transport VIPs, but a year later.... but the interior need to be detail….. exterior still looks great ..thanks to the Transportation team

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com/2009/08/polishing-van.html

Reason being heavily used for transportation & so huge to look after....

Reason being fequently used & so large to care for...i have fequents...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience