Rm8k Wira & Jazz GK5 ownership experience-A long way to go

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
That sound on rumble strips sounds like front anti roll bar bush. Turn ur steering wheel full locked, then yank the bar see if its gripped to the bush or its just moving freely. For me, that was the sound on my Persona.

thomaspepper

Jul 30, 2020
Kuala Lumpur
Hi sifus. Really need some help here. Just when I thought my car is in very good shape, it failed on me today.

For context, my car is 1996 Wira 1.5 Carburetor (Automatic).

2 days ago my car was still running fine. Made a trip from Cheras to Bukit Jelutong, car had no problem at all.

This morning, started my car as usual and then started my journey. The moment I stepped on the accelerator, I knew something was wrong. The car felt very very sluggish. It wouldn't accelerate much despite me stepping on the gas pedal harder than usual. I am familiar with this car so I know what to expect when I apply a certain amount of pressure to the pedal.

Drove on Federal highway and my car struggled to even reach 80km/h despite me pressing harder than usual. Mechanic changed engine oil (it was due for a change anyway), fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs. Told him to check my brakes but all were OK.

End up still same problem. I think my mechanic doesn't know what is the usual pressure to apply to get the car to certain speed so he doesn't really get my problem. Mechanic told me to monitor my engine oil level as when he drained my engine oil, it was less than half of the required oil. My last oil change was in February. He said maybe my engine makan minyak so have to monitor and see.

When the car is idling, there was no unusual sound. No white smoke. I did rev the engine and I noted something very different than usual. The response of the RPM is much slower. If last time I tapped the gas pedal and let go, the RPM will respond fast by going up and down again. Now, there is a 'lag'. Takes a while for RPM to go up and down after I give the pedal a quick tap.

What are the potential problems im looking at here? Is it carburetor? Or engine? Throttle cable? Basically my problem now is that my car seems to have lost 'power' in just a matter of 2 days. Suddenly press gas pedal but the power is not like how it was just 2 days ago. Difference is like night and day.

Thanks sifus

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi sifus. Really need some help here. Just when I thought my car is in very good shape, it failed on me today.

2 days ago my car was still running fine. Made a trip from Cheras to Bukit Jelutong, car had no problem at all.

This morning, started my car as usual and then started my journey. The moment I stepped on the accelerator, I knew something was wrong. The car felt very very sluggish. It wouldn't accelerate much despite me stepping on the gas pedal harder than usual. I am familiar with this car so I know what to expect when I apply a certain amount of pressure to the pedal.

Drove on Federal highway and my car struggled to even reach 80km/h despite me pressing harder than usual. Mechanic changed engine oil (it was due for a change anyway), fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs. Told him to check my brakes but all were OK.

End up still same problem. I think my mechanic doesn't know what is the usual pressure to apply to get the car to certain speed so he doesn't really get my problem. Mechanic told me to monitor my engine oil level as when he drained my engine oil, it was less than half of the required oil. My last oil change was in February. He said maybe my engine makan minyak so have to monitor and see.

When the car is idling, there was no unusual sound. No white smoke. I did rev the engine and I noted something very different than usual. The response of the RPM is much slower. If last time I tapped the gas pedal and let go, the RPM will respond fast by going up and down again. Now, there is a 'lag'. Takes a while for RPM to go up and down after I give the pedal a quick tap.

What are the potential problems im looking at here? Is it carburetor? Or engine? Throttle cable? Basically my problem now is that my car seems to have lost 'power' in just a matter of 2 days. Suddenly press gas pedal but the power is not like how it was just 2 days ago. Difference is like night and day.

Thanks sifus
Check for vacuum hose leak and your distributor

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thanks sifus
Two sifus already responded.

1. Considering the age of the car, check for cracked vacuum hoses. All are made of rubber so they are prone to wear and considering the age of your car, it's potentially the culprit.

2. The carb tuning went out of tune. Screw loose? I don't know enough about carbs to comment. Find a mech who knows how to tune a carb to check.

3. When was the last time you changed spark plugs?

4. Have you ever changed your petrol filter?

5. Do you still have a catalytic converter? How old is it if yes? Maybe you need a catcon cleaner additive from Bluechem. Or remove the catcon altogether.

6. How old is your distributor? Spark plug cables?

7. Also if your car is burning so much oil there should be some sort of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Use a piece of white tissue or paper and cover the exhaust and see if you see any black stains or oil stains or something.

Reactions: thomaspepper

thomaspepper

Jul 30, 2020
Kuala Lumpur
Check for vacuum hose leak and your distributor
Ok, i'll be sure to ask the mechanic to check these. Thanks!

Change mechanic, you need one who knows how to tune carb.....
Sounds like a plan. Do you have any recommendations for KL/Selangor area?

Two sifus already responded.

1. Considering the age of the car, check for cracked vacuum hoses. All are made of rubber so they are prone to wear and considering the age of your car, it's potentially the culprit.

2. The carb tuning went out of tune. Screw loose? I don't know enough about carbs to comment. Find a mech who knows how to tune a carb to check.

3. When was the last time you changed spark plugs?

4. Have you ever changed your petrol filter?

5. Do you still have a catalytic converter? How old is it if yes? Maybe you need a catcon cleaner additive from Bluechem. Or remove the catcon altogether.

6. How old is your distributor? Spark plug cables?

7. Also if your car is burning so much oil there should be some sort of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Use a piece of white tissue or paper and cover the exhaust and see if you see any black stains or oil stains or something.
1. ok, will ask the next mechanic to check for that.
2. Any recommendations for carb tuner in KL/Selangor area?
3&4: Yesterday I changed both. But the sluggishness still remained
5: No idea, but if I do, then it probably hasnt been changed at all.
6: again, not sure (i just took over this car from parents last year). but i would say these 2 havent been changed for at leatst 6-7 years as far as I can remember.
7. ok, will do that and see!

Thanks so much. So I guess the aim now is to find a mechanic that can tune carburetor first, and then see how it goes. Am busy these few days, so will likely have to drive the car in current state to run my errands. Earliest also next monday only can go find mech again.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ok, i'll be sure to ask the mechanic to check these. Thanks!

1. ok, will ask the next mechanic to check for that.
2. Any recommendations for carb tuner in KL/Selangor area?
3&4: Yesterday I changed both. But the sluggishness still remained
5: No idea, but if I do, then it probably hasnt been changed at all.
6: again, not sure (i just took over this car from parents last year). but i would say these 2 havent been changed for at leatst 6-7 years as far as I can remember.
7. ok, will do that and see!

Thanks so much. So I guess the aim now is to find a mechanic that can tune carburetor first, and then see how it goes. Am busy these few days, so will likely have to drive the car in current state to run my errands. Earliest also next monday only can go find mech again.
I find it hard to believe your mech is not carb competent unless he's some young kid below the age of 35. The guy I know who can tune a carb has already retired. hahaha..

Incidentally - if it's inherited from parents, have you considered trading it in for perhaps a newer easier to maintain car?

thomaspepper

Jul 30, 2020
Kuala Lumpur
I find it hard to believe your mech is not carb competent unless he's some young kid below the age of 35. The guy I know who can tune a carb has already retired. hahaha..

Incidentally - if it's inherited from parents, have you considered trading it in for perhaps a newer easier to maintain car?
He's mid 40s at least. I've yet to call him and explain that there's no improvement. The changing of spark plugs, etc was just regular maintenance. Planning to call him and ask him again.

Yes I have. The aim is just to make this car good enough to last for 2-3 more years, while spending some money for repairs so that I can learn about cars. Then I'll get my own car.

Of course ideally this Wira can last longer than that but after this current scare, I think I won't be doing much to this car anymore. This problem came out of nowhere and there is potential that more problems will suddenly appear in the future.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If you want to try, my mechanic since my Carb Civic and Carb Accord, did my VR4 transplant also and is still my current mechanic...lol
Hoong Seng Auto Works
Address: 22, Jalan TPP 1/16, Taman Perindustrian Puchong, 47100 Puchong, Selangor.
Mr. Fong. 019-331 5475

KHNG940413

500 RPM
Dec 25, 2015
johor bahru
wira update

Done sourcing the crossmember nut and end out the rear nut is shorter then the front one.
And also found out the bottom front body have some crack....is at where the front crossmember & the body screw up one.
Gonna find someone to do a L shape plate and weld it to add strength back.

Tomorrow my mechanic gonna redo the loose crossmember hole to make it can be tight back the nut.

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all.. I used Ford Escape 2.0XLT year 2001. This problem happened since 2 weeks ago. Before this when i fill full tank my car can reach about 560km (est.) but now i only can reach around 310km..My service record all is on time and i just replace my spark plug and service throttle body but the problem still happened. The idling sometimes can go till 2500 without press the paddle..Need help from all..:confused:..:banghead:...:nurse:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience