Rm8k Wira & Jazz GK5 ownership experience-A long way to go

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Wira update

Went for checking the car and found out the thingy that push the valve is makan already.

So the boss suggested me to do a top overhaul & replace 4 exhaust valve.
All included plus labour is around Rm800 is this price normal?
wow. this one is due to over-tighten with low clearance on the tappet/lifters. layman terms, tappet ikat ketat sangat. hence your valve tip makan like that.

RM800 top overhaul with 4 valves only is a bit expensive. can get top overhaul with full set of valve and seal with top gasket replacement actually. but maybe that's the standard charge there? my 93 single cam last time (2016) kena RM1.5k for top overhaul, including head skim, oversize valves, porting at valve pocket, new top gasket set, new piston rings and conrod bearings. and the workshop also changed my trailing arm bushes coz it was in the car when i sent it.

KHNG940413

500 RPM
Dec 25, 2015
johor bahru
wow. this one is due to over-tighten with low clearance on the tappet/lifters. layman terms, tappet ikat ketat sangat. hence your valve tip makan like that.

RM800 top overhaul with 4 valves only is a bit expensive. can get top overhaul with full set of valve and seal with top gasket replacement actually. but maybe that's the standard charge there? my 93 single cam last time (2016) kena RM1.5k for top overhaul, including head skim, oversize valves, porting at valve pocket, new top gasket set, new piston rings and conrod bearings. and the workshop also changed my trailing arm bushes coz it was in the car when i sent it.
Never overhaul a car before so didn't know the market price. The boss say he will skim the head also. Wait for monday they open up all the head component 1st.

KHNG940413

500 RPM
Dec 25, 2015
johor bahru
I suspect they adjusted the tappets when the engine was cold. Bad mechanic
The car 1st time adjust tappet in my ownership is few month ago. I saw thw whole process when he adjusted tappet. SO maybe is the previous owner machanic done it? Badluck for me I guess.hahahahahah

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Forgot the name... Tappet or what hahahahhaha
Sorry for my bad pronounce. If you enlarge the picture you can see the thing have makan.
Thats the tappet which contacts the valve.
Most probable due to bad adjustment or adjusting when cold.

RM800 is kinda steep for top overhaul+4 exhaust valve. BTW, i will replace the tappets too. Just check online for the price of parts then add another 20% for shop mark up. The rest will be workmanship.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
800 is expensive guys? Whats the price like these days for top overhaul for a SOHC? I thought 800 was pretty ok. Unless I've been overpaying all this while.........dammit

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
800 is expensive guys? Whats the price like these days for top overhaul for a SOHC? I thought 800 was pretty ok. Unless I've been overpaying all this while.........dammit
i already mentioned there. the price if replace all valves, seals, top gasket is around RM1k-1.2k. that was for my 93 sohc. for 4g15 12 valves i dont know how much. but should be cheaper la.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
An exhaust valve priced between 20-30 a piece, head gasket can get as cheap as 20 and as high as 200. Gasket set is much cheaper than buying a branded head gasket...maybe can get as low as 90.

So RM190+RM120 = RM 310 for parts.
If the balance includes some other parts such as water pump, timing belt, labor...might be not as expensive.

Then again, i might DIY if its my car thus i wont encounter the 'loss time' where a car is parked in my workshop and i had to finish repairing it before i can get to another job.

thomaspepper

Jul 30, 2020
Kuala Lumpur
Wow. Couldn't believe my eyes when I came across this thread. Read everything from start to finish, really happy that there is still active and passionate Wira owners around!! Learned a lot from the sifus in this thread as well, thanks. Gonna just share my story below, something like OP's journey as well.

I am currently in the process of repairing and restoring my family's 1996 Wira 1.5 (A) - carburetor, started around same time as OP as well, Oct 2019. It used the family car but had been neglected by my parents for many years since they bought a newer car. Many childhood memories of it. After some research and poking around on the Internet, I thought that it would be a very interesting and meaningful experience if I tried to restore the family's Wira. Probably can learn a lot about cars as well, even if I am sending it to mechanics to repair and not DIY. Before I started my journey, I actually had zero knowledge about cars, how to maintain it, etc.

For context, the car was still running and driven few times a week. Hasn't been serviced regularly for the past 10 years, for me it was a miracle that the car actually runs at all. However, the car was leaking engine oil and ATF every night. The engine oil leak would be worse IF car was driven on the highway the day before. Power steering pump was leaking as well, so the steering was getting tighter day by day. A/C was not cold. Suspension nonexistent.

Have been repairing the car bit by bit, starting with the power steering pump. Then the A/C system. Then all the belts + water pump + oil seal. It was a relief after that because now there was no ATF leaks. Next to be repaired was the head gasket, oil cover. No more engine oil stains in the porch now. Mechanic also told me he adjusted my valves. Engine was now quieter and sounded smoother.

Took a short break for my wallet's sake. Then continued with the front suspension system (absorber, lower arm, tie rod end, etc), + fresh front tyres. I couldnt believe the improvement when I drove it for the first time after the front suspension system was changed. Going over a speed bump felt so much better and the handling felt "tighter". Mechanic who sat beside me smiled when I told him all these as I was driving.

Then took another longer break, and changed the rear suspension system (absorber, lower arm, etc). Again, car felt so much better and I began to actually enjoy and trust the car more. This was before CNY.

Then the problems began. I started hearing a scraping sound ONLY when moving and my steering wheel is turned to the max. Normal turns are ok, but it is most obvious when I have to exit a parking spot or when doing u-turn. Was quite busy so I ignored it. Then MCO came. By June, I was passing by my regular mechanic (Mechanic 1) and to my horror it was closed down for good.

Went to another mechanic (Mechanic 2), and the foreman initially told me it was the daun pisang (wheelwell liner). Changed that but problem still persisted. Since it was 90 bucks ok la, I let it slip. Then he said it probably is the bearing issue. My brake discs were also warped already (this one ok la, cos I know they havent been changed for many years). Spent about 450 for new brake discs +pads. But to my shock the sound stil remained, even louder. Actually I was stupid also, should have went to another mechanic there and then. I did some research online and ok la, so far what I changed seemed in line with the usual problems. Maybe I was just unlucky that the mechanic was not experienced enuf to diagnose right away. Then this mechanic told me to try changing bearing (FOC if sound remains). Changed it, scraping sound was gone BUT only on one side. Anyway by this time I already spend like 550 , then plus another 140 on the bearing. He told me to change the left wheel bearing another time. My wallet was crying by this time and I was quite angry. Money is one thing, but the time spent. If expensive but can fix then it is still ok. But this

Had a strong suspicion that this mechanic was cheating but I still don't know what he cheated me. Not sure if anyone here watches Chris Wee's videos, but I went to one of the mechanics (Mechanic 3) that he goes to. Thinking was that if a car guy can trust this mechanic, then I should be safe-r going to the same mechanic also. Personally I dont really like not knowing what's wrong with my car so I braced myself for the cost. The mechanic took 1 hour in total to diagnose it. Took out tyres several times, went on several test drives to see where is the cause.

In the end it was the front lower arm that was actually pushing the front brake dust guard against my disc brake that was causing the scraping noise. The mechanic said that the OEM lower arm I used is still correct but the end part was jutting out too much. He hammered the lower arm to bend the metal a bit, then we reinstalled the wheels and went for test drive. Problem solved. Mechanic said it was first time he encountered this problem. Cost: RM45 for labour only. Felt so happy after that but also deflated cos I spent so much earlier. Told myself that this is the mechanic that I will go to next time, even if it is far for me.

Currently there's only a few more major problems to be fixed. Minor ones are just cosmetics.

1) Reverse light. Mechanic said it is a wiring issue to be fixed
2) Fuel gauge bouncing when I accelerate hard or when braking hard. It is either shows full or empty. So in a way I have to use untill less than half of the fuel left, then only the needle will point down towards empty. The bouncing is more like rapid flicking. Mechanic said it is fuel gauge problem, anyone faced this problem before?
3) Rusty front door + boot + roof. Bodywork shop say best to change to new one. Any thoughts?

4) Leaky boot when raining. I have removed the bootliner recently, it was so damp from all the rain. Not even sure if my boot has actually been dry at all over the years. Fortunately the rust is not to bad.

That's my journey so far. Really enjoying the car now and I think once I fixed the fuel gauge I will be more confident to take the car to a long trip, e.g. Melaka or Ipoh.

Edit: spelling

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
welcome, theres quite a few wira kaki lurking round herebouts.

ur rusty boot/door/roof... replacement thats the solution

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Kimi Raikkonen got close to Heikki Kovalainen's new lap record set yesterday, but fell short by less than two-tenths of a second with a best lap of 1:11.189s in his Ferrari F2008. Kovalainen was right on the pace again today at the Valencia circuit, lapping just 0.017s slower than the defending world champion...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience