Review: All-New 2017 Subaru XV First Drive + Videos

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
At first glance, the all-new XV could pass off as a facelift attempt to the untrained eye. This familiar design direction almost dilute the fact that the new crossover sits on a brand new Subaru platform and even feature their latest direct injection boxer engine.

<iframe class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" id="instagram-embed-0" src="https://www.instagram.com/p/BVee4GoDBwA/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=7&wp=658#%7B%22ci%22%3A0%2C%22os%22%3A451.13%7D" allowtransparency="true" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-0" scrolling="no" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); margin: 1px 1px 12px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: none; display: block; padding: 0px;" height="547" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" defer="" src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>
<iframe class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" id="instagram-embed-1" src="https://www.instagram.com/p/BVcPRaqjWqn/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=7&wp=658#%7B%22ci%22%3A1%2C%22os%22%3A457.315%7D" allowtransparency="true" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-1" scrolling="no" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); margin: 1px 1px 12px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: none; display: block; padding: 0px;" height="567" frameborder="0"></iframe>
I flew, with Motor Image and a dozen or so adversaries to Taipei to experience the brand new 2018 XV. Yes 2018, simply because the XV will only arrive Malaysia first quarter of next year, with CKD production to commence soon this year. Should you wait? Read on then.

NEW X-MODE

We arrive Nangang Exhibition hall, where the launch was located, they then directed us to a test arena which was specifically built to show off the famed crossover's new off-road capabilities, the X-Mode.

X-Mode is in fact pretty cool, It is a driving feature built on top of Subaru's symmetrical AWD that enables the XV to embark on challenging terrain, or on actual off-road circumstances even. This ability is made possible with the use of individual braking as a form of torque vectoring on the 4 wheels. It even has hill descent control to allow the XV to crawl down steep downhills automatically without driver input.

New Engine & New Tranny

The first test ground included an elaborate makeshift dirt course, followed by a variety of ramps which you can see from my Instagram video post above. The test had to accommodate journalist from a number of regions so it was a quick, get in, conquer the courses, boom and you're done.

That being said, my time with the XV 2.0i-S was limited. I wasn't able to extensively sample the new and lighter direct injection flat four nor the uprated CVT tranny unfortunately.

For what's worth, the new 156ps 2.0L direct injection boxer felt more responsive and eager than before. With almost 80% of the engine components replaced, they managed to shave engine weight by almost 12kg. That's not all, a further 7.8kg is removed via the XV's new Lineartronic CVT transmission, which has also been substantially revised to feature auto-step shifting and 7-speed mode to simulate a sportier drive.

Rigid Chassis

Mostly, I was able to experience the XV's new rigid body. It is miles more solid than the wobbly-er old XV and it is very apparent from the first drive onwards. The new XV is built on recently conceived Subaru Global Platform, which is said to be 70% more rigid than before, while the lower centre of gravity improves handling with decreased body roll. This platform also gets new, more responsive steering via quicker steering gear ratio.

Fancier Interior

This is yet another great aspect of the all-new XV, the improved interior. It sure is a huge upgrade from the previous XV with better material choices, fitting and details. There's actual thread stitching at the edges of its leather-like interior, which encompasses the seats, door cards and even the dashboard. Padded upholstery and soft touch details dominate the interior. There's an obvious sense of sportiness as well as pemium-ness when inside the new XV.

Entertainment wise, an 8 inch touch screen display system sits on its dash and offers Apple CarPlay among other mobile connectivity features.

New Body

The New XV is literally a Subaru Impreza on stilts, one with 220mm ground clearance but posses a striking resemblance to its predecessor. Its new body sits wider while giving a low stance appearance. There's the iconic hexagonal grille, new black claddings to highlight its ruggedness as well as updated, shuriken looking wheels.

New Headlights

New C-Shape headlights is steering responsive and allows the headlight beam to pan and move in sync with its steering direction. With High Beam Assist, the new XV uses a monocular camera that is integrated into the rear view mirror. This system then reads the view from front and back to judge between switching the high or to retain low beams.

More about Subaru: www.subaru.asia

Attachments

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
This is a very nice facelift. Much more modernised version of the outgoing model. Sadly the existing 2L + CVT combination is slow and lethargic. Hopefully the new and improved version is really improved. They should just stick the 1.6L turbo engine from the Levorg and its a winner. And I do hope that the new FL model would be offered with more safety kit here in Malaysia instead of just 2 airbags. (Or was it 3 with the knee bag?). Myvi also got 2 airbags.

Come on Motor Image, Subarus are great cars, but why is their pricing so retarded, even the Koreans can have more sensible pricing but why not Subaru.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
This is a very nice facelift. Much more modernised version of the outgoing model. Sadly the existing 2L + CVT combination is slow and lethargic. Hopefully the new and improved version is really improved. They should just stick the 1.6L turbo engine from the Levorg and its a winner. And I do hope that the new FL model would be offered with more safety kit here in Malaysia instead of just 2 airbags. (Or was it 3 with the knee bag?). Myvi also got 2 airbags.

Come on Motor Image, Subarus are great cars, but why is their pricing so retarded, even the Koreans can have more sensible pricing but why not Subaru.
This model is actually not a facelift although it resembles the old one. This one is based on the 5th generation Impreza while the current XV is based on the 4th generation Impreza.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
This model is actually not a facelift although it resembles the old one. This one is based on the 5th generation Impreza while the current XV is based on the 4th generation Impreza.
renesis is right, it is all-new but with an all new design, although extremely familiar looking.

To be honest, it is a lot more well sorted than the outgoing XV too

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I thought the old XV have curtain airbags also, as in their website and 5 star NCAP

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Helo, all sifu. I am newbie in car, please help me out please. I am driving toyota corolla AE110 limited editon and previously i drive reach 120km/h & above, i heard nothing. Last month i found out that my car is "eating" the engine oil so i go and change the valve seal and the problem solve. After done the valve seal i got reach to 120km/h & above. i got heard no sound at all, since last week once i reach 120km/h i heard beep sound inside the car. i have no idea what is it, where is it come...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience