Review: 2017 BMW 118i M-Sport

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Good thing I said "feel more than adequate" then

Expectations, expectations @ixeo

But to be honest, I can be a bit of a forgiving person. I cab relate to your dissatisfaction on the 118i's lack of thrust. For me I went in expecting less and it turned out to be entertaining for the 4 days that I had it. I would think, in the long run, the 118i would start to grow on you
Hahaha, feeling is subjective AND relative. But honestly I think you were very forgiving, or you drove a Myvi before driving the 118i.

Based on the numbers I've quoted from its peers, its nowhere near "fast". Of course, one can argue the Mercedes A180 also takes 8.6s ZTH. So in the end its just on par with its peers.

But is it fun to drive? Yes, can be, driving a slow car fast. Gonna be very booooring when the road opens up. Frankly the chassis is very sound, sticking the 320i engine inside would be a lot of fun.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
For starters, is it really able to accelerate to 100kph in under 9 secs??
So far BMW have not given anyone reason to doubt their specs on paper.

I firmly believe those times can be improved with better tires like PS4.

If it was a 120i it’s be a hooligan.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
So far BMW have not given anyone reason to doubt their specs on paper.

I firmly believe those times can be improved with better tires like PS4.

If it was a 120i it’s be a hooligan.
Coz sometime ago I've encountered a somewhat hooligan 1 series like this, not sure if 118 or 116, and I can concur with you that this car is slow as I left it for dead when accelerating from around 100kph onwards.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hahaha, feeling is subjective AND relative. But honestly I think you were very forgiving, or you drove a Myvi before driving the 118i.

Based on the numbers I've quoted from its peers, its nowhere near "fast". Of course, one can argue the Mercedes A180 also takes 8.6s ZTH. So in the end its just on par with its peers.

But is it fun to drive? Yes, can be, driving a slow car fast. Gonna be very booooring when the road opens up. Frankly the chassis is very sound, sticking the 320i engine inside would be a lot of fun.
Let's just say there are peers of the 118i that is just as quick or could out accelerate it, but as the ZTH aspect fades away after the 1st hour novelty, the 118i is still the fastest car all-round, being blessed with a chassis made in heaven and other driver oriented characteristics.

although the absence of paddle shifters is quite an anti-climax

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Coz sometime ago I've encountered a somewhat hooligan 1 series like this, not sure if 118 or 116, and I can concur with you that this car is slow as I left it for dead when accelerating from around 100kph onwards.
While on boost at full throttle from stationary or low speeds, the 118i does feel peppy-ish. But when on the move, can be quite gutless when trying to gun from 100km/h that's for sure.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Let's just say there are peers of the 118i that is just as quick or could out accelerate it, but as the ZTH aspect fades away after the 1st hour novelty, the 118i is still the fastest car all-round, being blessed with a chassis made in heaven and other driver oriented characteristics.

although the absence of paddle shifters is quite an anti-climax
The sales advisor noted I was literally falling asleep behind the wheel on the 118i. But that's cause I stepped out of a 330e.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
The sales advisor noted I was literally falling asleep behind the wheel on the 118i. But that's cause I stepped out of a 330e.
There you go ixeo, it was all because you were pre conditioned by the 330e, it does that

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
There you go ixeo, it was all because you were pre conditioned by the 330e, it does that
Now I’m looking forward to the Volvo V60 T8... imagine stepping out of that into the 330e

The 330e is gonna be yawn inducing.

Cars are getting stupid fast at a stupid rate the last 3 years. And Volvo is leading the charge. Ironic isn’t it, the good ol’ brick. And BMW seems to be asleep on the wheel, making cars that are cheaper to make for more profit *cough FWD cough*. This 1 series should be the last of the RWD hatch.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Now I’m looking forward to the Volvo V60 T8... imagine stepping out of that into the 330e

The 330e is gonna be yawn inducing.
Yes, that new T8 Volvo is one worth waiting for. I've became a huge fan of the T8s since a first encounter with the S90 T8 earlier this year.
Power is it's biggest selling point for sure. I quite like its chassis as well, so let's see how the S60 / V60 does.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Autocar gets up close and personal with the Aventador w/video

Much like the Top Gear videos that never fail to entertain, the Autocar ones are on that level too, albeit with more technical insight and in depth driving impressions that still leave us wanting more.

Now Autocar has come up with a short video on a review of the Lamborghini Aventador with none other than Steve Sutcliffe behind the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience