Question about lowering car ride

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
[Need Advice] Lowering Car Height

Hi guys.
Currently im using GAB sport springs for my car.
Gap between tyre and fender is as follow; Front = 2 fingers, Rear = 3 fingers

I wanna ask, is there any way to lower the REAR gap to match the FRONT? becoz now the car now is slightly 'tonggek'. not really noticable though..

I dont want to cut my springs or 'bakar' and compress the springs, as i heard this will shorten the spring lifespan and its not safe..

If i change my standard abs to short stroke abs, will it lower my car?
if possible i want to lower to 1 finger gap for front and rear..

Any suggestions guys? (except for changing to adjustable.. budget constrain la haha)

Last edited:

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
i did 'bakar' my spring previously and no issue with reliability at all... if 1finger i think no problem but if 2 finger lowered might cause damaged spring, thats what the mech said when he did my car, max lowered only 1finger if u want to 'bakar'

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
i did 'bakar' my spring previously and no issue with reliability at all... if 1finger i think no problem but if 2 finger lowered might cause damaged spring, thats what the mech said when he did my car, max lowered only 1finger if u want to 'bakar'
oh icic.. where did u 'bakar' ?
can share how does the process go about :)

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
check ur rear suspension if there is a rubber spring seat... remove it.. it will lower ur car about 1 finger more... before installing back the spring, wrap the top coil with rubber insulator (garden hose for example) to prevent it from squeaking when it come in contact with ur metal surface....

mahfudz_mn

Known Member
Nov 22, 2004
Bukit Jalil
Visit site
it looks like adjustables is the way to go but i think its either you get a stiffer sports set (stiffer springs) or you stay with current one. you may also try to buy other lowered springs, but they may not match you current dampers very well.

its not safe to alter the springs in either way, those auto engineers have designed it that way and then you'd trust a car mechanic who may not even know what he's doing to your car by shortening the springs. plus you think it's easy to trim/bakar that thick wire to an even length? it takes heavy industrial machines to make them you know

when you shorten the stroke length, you need to have stiffer springs. later when you have to carry some load, you'll regret having the car lowered...you've decreased your stroke but didnt increase the spring rate, you'll start stroking the dampers all the way to the bottom

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
gab is like that bro....
so u could opt to inject your absorbers to oil ones....but the ride will feel like adjustables.....quite nice......& u could choose the lowered height u prefer, front 1 finger, rear 1 finger.....

G_ti

Known Member
Nov 20, 2005
I fried my springs and have been using it for more than a year . No problem at all .
Using GTI , the handling also , i really do not feel any change .

Now planning to change and still searching for the best 1 . In mind is R3 springs .
Anyone have experience with r3 springs ?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Sorry guys, may I ask what is bakar spring and what does it do? Kinda nob about suspension here...

And I got a situation here... Hehe... Sorry to deviate form the original topic, but this may help on the ori topic too.
I bought my AE111 as second hand. The ride height is lowered. I don;t know whether he cut the spring or changed into lowered ones. The car is low, sometimes go on high bump will hurt it badly. The suspension is damn a nid I really mean DAMN stiff!!! And the travel height is very little. It have very limited travel space. When there is a slight bump when I'm going fast, can feel that the spring is compressed to the max and the shock transmit right up to the chassis. And can hear the sound like "ngek".

I feel this is really hurting for my car and the passengers inside? Are these symptoms or cut springs?

Thank you.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
gab is like that bro....
so u could opt to inject your absorbers to oil ones....but the ride will feel like adjustables.....quite nice......& u could choose the lowered height u prefer, front 1 finger, rear 1 finger.....
thanks for all your feedback guys! all very informative! keep them coming in :)

OEM abs can inject oil? Isit long lasting?
Can intro me good place to do?
coz i heard this 1 need alot skill to do..
if done badly, abs would leak in 2 weeks time

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Sorry guys, may I ask what is bakar spring and what does it do? Kinda nob about suspension here...

And I got a situation here... Hehe... Sorry to deviate form the original topic, but this may help on the ori topic too.
I bought my AE111 as second hand. The ride height is lowered. I don;t know whether he cut the spring or changed into lowered ones. The car is low, sometimes go on high bump will hurt it badly. The suspension is damn a nid I really mean DAMN stiff!!! And the travel height is very little. It have very limited travel space. When there is a slight bump when I'm going fast, can feel that the spring is compressed to the max and the shock transmit right up to the chassis. And can hear the sound like "ngek".

I feel this is really hurting for my car and the passengers inside? Are these symptoms or cut springs?

Thank you.
i think the ngek ngek sound could be due to the upper part of the spring (the coils at the top) being compress, thus rubbing against each other.. perhaps u can try Skywalker's suggestion by wrapping few coils at the top with rubber hose.. or perhaps u can try something called "spring buffer"..

another could be your abs KO already..

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TO learn more on Professional detailing - Free & good sites available
does not need to spent $$$$ to buy this nor this

start Patronising this international sites you will see how to DIY yr car detailing

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=2296280#post2296280...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience