Q on Oil catch tank

jiusan

Known Member

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
I made one myself at home ,
i think it works not bad ,

material = plastic bottle , gas hose < i'am using 9mm transparent type > and sponge like thing that you often get when buying delicate items like computer internals ,

well still i wonder what is actually inside of a real oil catch tank
< the truth is i asked some big tuning expensive car shop and they told me inside was empty >
hmmm .....

and my one , i notice that oil in black begins to clog on the sponge where i insert some to the hose .
should this happen ? coz i think its catching oil rite ?
and on the bottle there are traces of oil as well ,

and also , there are water forming like boiling water there are water drops on the top of the pot , is this ok ? its due to the heat of the gas compress inside a small bottle i think .
and i'am i suffocating the engine ?

coz i driven it very long with these thing and it works well

i will submit pictures soon

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I made one myself at home ,
i think it works not bad ,

material = plastic bottle , gas hose < i'am using 9mm transparent type > and sponge like thing that you often get when buying delicate items like computer internals ,

well still i wonder what is actually inside of a real oil catch tank
< the truth is i asked some big tuning expensive car shop and they told me inside was empty >
hmmm .....

and my one , i notice that oil in black begins to clog on the sponge where i insert some to the hose .
should this happen ? coz i think its catching oil rite ?
and on the bottle there are traces of oil as well ,

and also , there are water forming like boiling water there are water drops on the top of the pot , is this ok ? its due to the heat of the gas compress inside a small bottle i think .
and i'am i suffocating the engine ?

coz i driven it very long with these thing and it works well

i will submit pictures soon
yeah.... there are already lotsa DIY oil catch tank. Plastic bottles are fine if u don't really mind how it looks.

From the crank/engine breather, u'll expect lotsa oil and water in vapour. Normally, they are recirculate into the intake ramp to reduce the polution. However, this will increase the carbon content within the air and also accumulation of oil/carbon to ur throttle body, valve and the combustion chamber.

So, an oil catch tank allow the crank breather air to have sufficient time to cool down and condense, so that the air thatr's recirculate into the intake ramp is somehow cleaner.

Regarding the black, it's also normal. Coil squirts onto the cylinder wall, during the combustion, the remaining oil burns together with th fuel and air and leave carbon behind. When the piston goes up again, it cleans the carbon into the oil sump. So, oil will eventually turns black even 1 day of driving. And the air from the breather contains all sort of things including oil, carbon, water, some sulphate, etc etc...

Don't worry about it, it's fine. Do removethe sponge in the hose as it will restrict the air from moving freely.

mydvdrom

Known Member

mydvdrom

Known Member
Jul 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
let me get this straight. i can attach a bottle or wadever container to the breather hose or there's a small metal nozzle at my engine where normally will have a rubber hose connecting to the air filter pipings. i think this nozzle is where to connect the oil catch can. correct mah? if correct then i go diy one osoz lor. hehehe.

btw, does the bottle or tank needs to be fully sealed except for the hose from engine head?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
let me get this straight. i can attach a bottle or wadever container to the breather hose or there's a small metal nozzle at my engine where normally will have a rubber hose connecting to the air filter pipings. i think this nozzle is where to connect the oil catch can. correct mah? if correct then i go diy one osoz lor. hehehe.

btw, does the bottle or tank needs to be fully sealed except for the hose from engine head?
Normally, ppl don't take from the hose to the manifold.

Not necessary tightly sealed if u are nor recirculating to the intake ramp. U can just let it breath out. But make sure u close down the nipple at the intake ramp.

mydvdrom

Known Member

mydvdrom

Known Member
Jul 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i have attached a pic of my engine and intake manifold area. the normal breather hose (circled in red) is attached to FITT on the right which is a valve to help control my idling when air con is turn on. is this breather hose the one that is to go to a oil catch can?

Attachments

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
i have attached a pic of my engine and intake manifold area. the normal breather hose (circled in red) is attached to FITT on the right which is a valve to help control my idling when air con is turn on. is this breather hose the one that is to go to a oil catch can?
I'd chose to put it at the other breather.... At the distributor side.

mydvdrom

Known Member

mydvdrom

Known Member
Jul 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
other than the earth, anything else? i read somewhere that the purpose is to "catch" oil and especially water vapors from the heat generated by the engine. this in turn will help ensure better engine oil condition and thus engine moving parts movements. true? sounds logical

jiusan

Known Member

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
hmm , i've checked the oil catch "100plus" bottle again today
still the same but feel much more assured to mr speed2horizon ,
and i remove the sponge to the hose as well , actually it poops out itself haha
thanks all

jiusan

Known Member

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
jiusan, mind taking some pics and sharing how it looks like and where's it connected to?
ah yes , do wait for a moment , i will probably do it today and post a new thread ..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
as i was returning home last nite, suddenly there was a "clunk-clunk" sound continuously the higher i rev the higher the sound become & also my steering becomes heavy.......i tot farked man, not my gearbox again........or worst timing belt putus........so then i searched for the problem & sound....finally found it....my crank pulley was wobbling....& the screw attached to it (the 1 need to open when changing the auxilary belts & timing belt) was cracked.........

so wat could the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience