Putra Re-born

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
get a set of adjustable abs is definitely recommended

owning a putra myself, over three years, i changed from original, to GAB SA with Sparco springs to TEIN
it was finally the TEIN that met my requirements
second hand TEIN but works like a charm and last longer than the rest of the abs i was using.

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
just think twice before you go for adjustable, its not as comfortable as your current one, you get the handling by sacrificing comfort riding... to certain hardcore driver it's needed, but not necessary to get one if you are not into that level...

Best way is try sit in other putra with adjustable suspension before making decision.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
adjustables can be pretty comfortable too....depends on the brand,model and spring/coil....not all will be the same....TIEN is one of the best cause of the levels of adjustment....and its stiff is REALLY STIFF...soft is still nice to whack corner....so depends....

and if you find your handling is still not up to par,can get a very crucial and not so expensive bar...ultra racing bars for your front stabilizer and anti roll bar(ARB)...bang for bucks...

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
a lot of things is more to personal preference la...
for suspension some ppl find it hard...some ppl find it just nice...
i'd say go for bro zac suggestion, sit on someone's putra/wira/satria wif adjustables to try 1st...
then oni decide whether u wanna go for adjustables....

n some bros were talking abt racing clutch also...
again...its pretty much on personal preference...
1st, ur cluch will be much harder than stock....
2nd, ur driving will be like not smooth, especially 1st gear "balancing"...car will jerk...
again...if can...try someone's car.....

anyway...
most important now is to get ur brakes done 1st....
safety 1st!!!

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yeah bro...but you cant just generalize by saying sit in any friend with adjustables in it....

like i mentioned before not all adjustables are the same.... if you go into a car that has tien flex or cusco in it...then you go to another friends car with super street or ohlins ...it will be totally different even at the softest or hardest setting....but they are both adjustables.

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
i understand wat u mean....
so in this case...as cusco/ohlins r kindda difficult to source....
go sit in fren's car wif tein/GAB....
then go for watever brand/series u think is good....

btw, if u cant tahan hard ride, i'd say cusco is out of ur list....
coz its damn hard...how i know?? coz i using it....
even at the softest also its damn hard...
but i'm loving it!!!
hahahaha

heard a lot of tein users saying tein can be really comfortable when its set to the softest....
but then need to know wat series is dat....
but again...if wanna use adjustables dat feels like stock suspension....
might as well keep ur stock suspension....
y go waste money change adjustables....
dun come n tell me can adjust.....go ask around ppl using adjustables suspension...
most of them oso malas adjust hard...adjust soft....

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
to be safe on adjustable and not compromising the comfort.. get HWL MT-1 Series.. its a twintube design.. very comfy n good enough for street spirited driving.. its locally made and its easy to maintain coz you can service it back.. racing clutch is not comfy at all...
if you use ur car for daily drive on busy roads.. not recommended to install one..

fixing an air intake,tuned lenght extractor,piping n muffler would get a nice breathing revvy engine.. to control those power.. thats where u need the handling department... 4G93Na has a very good torque for a stock engine.. try playing it on hill climbs n downhill like ulu yam, Fraser's hill n such..

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
woooo wooo woooooo....

hold up boys... hang on.. adjustable or non adjustable... urm... its true.. i have to try it first to the cars that has these specs..

i definitely go for comfy ones of course but still a bit of stiffness.. hmmm hard to discribe it..

n racing clutch... hehe not yet...or maybe not for my car for now... :)

yeah about fixin air intakes, and any other mods im up for it.. only after a good service will be done to my car..

went to sunway to check up some shops.. and theres this only one shop i notice was 'kakimotor' and selling all other parts.. which was good.. learn a bit or two... and i wanted to know... whats the different between blitz air filters and hks ones? which is better? i think the guys said that the green mushroom hks dont fit my putra or i think K&N ones.. not so sure.. but which is which.. either both... which ones are the good ones? blitz ones are just plug n play.. no added piping or anything... so what do u think? thhnnnxxxxx

and about the brakes... before changin my gearbox,.. i did some normal service like changing the break pads.... oil change etc.. but the guy keep on mentioning to me about skimming the disk breaks.. i wasnt sure wether he is trying to rip me off but... the thing is.. can u see the difference clearly with a normal eye.. i.e 'karat' or bengkok or something? :))

sorry guys.. but really im thankful to all the msgs u replied.. really help me a lot.. thhhxxxxxxxxxx

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
About your brakes, does ur brakes vibrate when applied? Maybe since it has not been used for years, residue could cover the outerlayer too, making your braking poor.. If so, you might take longer to stop the car.. Dangerous also.. Huhu if the price of doing it is too high, the he's trying to rip u off.. How high is high? Im not sure.. Huhu

Last edited:

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Bout ur brake pads, it usually cant be seen by the naked eye just like that.. Under certain circumstances, the brakes wont 'makan'.. It is also good to skim, the hardened layer of the brakes wont make your braking optimal.. Get rid of the residue 1st.. If he wants to rip u off, he might want u to get new ones.. Hehe
true true....

he might have just say... yeah yours have gone bad.. u definitely need some new ones... ;)

but so far.. the break are fine... no vibrations or how to say... feels like the 'gelong' thing goin on... the feel of it is fine.. is just the look of it.. a bit karat.. :S

how bout the air filters? any thoughts about it? thanxxx

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
The blitz u mentioned is a 'drop in' filter, meaning just changing the filter element.. Putting an 'open pod' or mushroom ones means it will be exposed.. Couple that with good piping (CAI), u could feel a bit more increase in power.. I stress the word 'a bit'.. Usually people change the extractors too for a free-er breathing engine.. Open pods makes ur engine bay more garang also.. Hehe up to u, open pod of drop in..

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
The blitz u mentioned is a 'drop in' filter, meaning just changing the filter element.. Putting an 'open pod' or mushroom ones means it will be exposed.. Couple that with good piping (CAI), u could feel a bit more increase in power.. I stress the word 'a bit'.. Usually people change the extractors too for a free-er breathing engine.. Open pods makes ur engine bay more garang also.. Hehe up to u, open pod of drop in..
ooooooooooooo

so the blitz, 'drop-in' filters is like the square ones correct? the ones that is completely silent and the open pods are the ones like hks mushroom bush kindna look and also like half-cut ice cream cones rite??

the ones that i saw.. blitz was the cone ones.. K&N drop in filters, hks mushrooms and i think replicas... hmmmm but u reckon that is easy to maintain? thy said the blitz r easy to wash and clean.. so im not so sure.. the price is around RM470 inc the thing that join them together near the ................. --> i dont know the name. :)))

ps: *dang.... i know im still new to this :S .. thx a million boys!! :driver::biggrin:

Last edited:

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
ooooooooooooo
so the blitz, 'drop-in' filters is like the square ones correct? the ones that is completely silent and the open pods are the ones like hks mushroom bush kindna look and also like half-cut ice cream cones rite??
the ones that i saw.. blitz was the cone ones.. K&N drop in filters, hks mushrooms and i think replicas... hmmmm but u reckon that is easy to maintain? thy said the blitz r easy to wash and clean.. so im not so sure.. the price is around RM470 inc the thing that join them together near the ................. --> i dont know the name. :)))
ps: *dang.... i know im still new to this :S .. thx a million boys!! :driver::biggrin:
yeah, the square one u mentioned is drop in.. A pod is the semi-cone shaped and mushroom i think u know already..
so blitz is an open pod unit then? Comes with a pipe right? Izit metal or black prastic? At that price i think it should be metal / stainless steel / aluminium.. (im not very sure bout pricing and material).. The air goes into the EFI system where fuel n air mix together.. fuel and air get married, goes into the engine, gets 'banged' and the kids comes out (exhaust) hehe.. If ur going for an open pod unit, better get those with metal pipes and a heat shield ( an aluminium sheet that act as a barrier to avoid the filter sucking in hot air from the engine).. If ur a DIY kaki, u could do it yourself.. And yes open pods could get dirty and needs to be cleaned more often than drop in since its well...... open! hehe drop ins could be cleaned when u service your car, not much hassle.. If it was me,i dont mind an open pod, the sound would be sexy too! Hehe

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
About your brakes :

-when brakes applied,if no vibration appear or steering feels a little off when you brake..it needs to be skimmed.

-if it is just rusted,it does not necessarily needs to be skimmed...even if your disc is not rusted...and after a whole night of rain..the next morning when you check on your car,you will notice there will be some rust on it..but after you drive a while and park..its gone...same thing...after sometime the rust will automatically be scraped off when brakes applied...some dirt,debris might get stuck in the pad,just hose it down with water once a week..*WARNING* only hose down your pads/disc when its COLD...if you do it when its hot..you risk actually causing it to *bengkok*

-When you say "Gelong" feeling...you mean when you apply the brakes? or while driving even without applying the breaks you have that feeling?

About your filter:

-It is here that you again need to decide whats best for your self...Open pod and drop ins are not about sound....Its the same as the extractor post i put up there.

-Open pod is applied for those who use top end power....High revs.

-Drop in is applied for low-mid range power....

So if you decide for 4-2-1 extractor,i suggest you go for drop in filter(preferably K&N drop in)

If you decide 4-1 extractor,go for open pod.This is how you compliment each and every mod you make.And yes, open pod gives this very loud growl/suction like the engine is sucking all the air in the world to open a can of whoop as$...

Choose wisely... :top:

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
adjustables can be pretty comfortable too....depends on the brand,model and spring/coil....not all will be the same....TIEN is one of the best cause of the levels of adjustment....and its stiff is REALLY STIFF...soft is still nice to whack corner....so depends....

and if you find your handling is still not up to par,can get a very crucial and not so expensive bar...ultra racing bars for your front stabilizer and anti roll bar(ARB)...bang for bucks...
Big bang for bucks is the front EVO 2/3 lower arm and anti roll bar for the reason.

1) it converts the putra's indirect ARB mounting that uses link bush(aka satay bush) into a more well handled direct mounting that uses pillow ball linkage(as used in GTI)

2) ARB are smaller in diameter, but more effective in anti roll effect.

3) More rigid lower arm as they are cast iron lower arms with more solid main bush.

4) Increase the wheel base length by 10mm, but makes alot of difference.

5) improves on the caster angle. Something like Merc. When u turn, u see the wheel slanting.

Price is around RM400/set of L+R.

But u must make sure ur absprbers have a bracket to mount the linkage.

a lot of things is more to personal preference la...
for suspension some ppl find it hard...some ppl find it just nice...
i'd say go for bro zac suggestion, sit on someone's putra/wira/satria wif adjustables to try 1st...
then oni decide whether u wanna go for adjustables....

n some bros were talking abt racing clutch also...
again...its pretty much on personal preference...
1st, ur cluch will be much harder than stock....
2nd, ur driving will be like not smooth, especially 1st gear "balancing"...car will jerk...
again...if can...try someone's car.....

anyway...
most important now is to get ur brakes done 1st....
safety 1st!!!
Agreed on the personal preference. Try around some cars. Get the setting that u like the best.

Regarding the clutch. Harder than stock..? No lar, get a super single lor... As soft as stock. But cost $%^&*ing lotsa money. halfcut condition >RM1500.

When u are talking about trinity, worth for money... the clutch will damage ur gearbox center shaft in time. Cause the clutch plate has got no vibration damper.

If get exedy semi race, the triple spring on the clutch cover will cause the clutch cover to be damn 9 7 stiff....

When u are used to the clutch response and balancing, the jerking problem can be minimize.

To my opinion, stay the clutch stock. The organic clutch is designed to take 25% more heat and torque than what the engine is producing.

By the time u start modding ur engine to achieve 30% more pwoerful, then u think about the clutch. But it's not easy to achieve 30% HP unless U BOT.

AND YES!!! SAFETY FIRST

i understand wat u mean....
so in this case...as cusco/ohlins r kindda difficult to source....
go sit in fren's car wif tein/GAB....
then go for watever brand/series u think is good....

btw, if u cant tahan hard ride, i'd say cusco is out of ur list....
coz its damn hard...how i know?? coz i using it....
even at the softest also its damn hard...
but i'm loving it!!!
hahahaha

heard a lot of tein users saying tein can be really comfortable when its set to the softest....
but then need to know wat series is dat....
but again...if wanna use adjustables dat feels like stock suspension....
might as well keep ur stock suspension....
y go waste money change adjustables....
dun come n tell me can adjust.....go ask around ppl using adjustables suspension...
most of them oso malas adjust hard...adjust soft....
Ohlin is, cusco aren't difficult to find.
Yes, cusco n hks are designed for track purpose where there is no uneven road condition. TEIN, depends on model.

There are TEINs that's modified to be used on WIRA/PUTRA/SATRIA from other cars nowadays. BTW, U'm using a set of TEIN that's modified from a NISSAN 180SX if I'm not mistaken. HR converted to soft hard by profesional.

It's so &*@#ing hard.

Changing to adjustables is to counter that manufacturing defects on the imbalance assembly of the car. All the cars are supposed to be designed with well shape. However, in the bodyshop of a manifacturing plant, the jig for assembly may not be in good condition as new. Any process before ED treatment have the possibility to cause thebody to slant a little. So, the car can be imbalance at height. That's why u need a set of adjustables to counter the defects.

to be safe on adjustable and not compromising the comfort.. get HWL MT-1 Series.. its a twintube design.. very comfy n good enough for street spirited driving.. its locally made and its easy to maintain coz you can service it back.. racing clutch is not comfy at all...
if you use ur car for daily drive on busy roads.. not recommended to install one..

fixing an air intake,tuned lenght extractor,piping n muffler would get a nice breathing revvy engine.. to control those power.. thats where u need the handling department... 4G93Na has a very good torque for a stock engine.. try playing it on hill climbs n downhill like ulu yam, Fraser's hill n such..
Twin tube, the existance of twin tube is to reduce material. Try Monoflex. They are shok... Abit bumpy, but very good.

The true soft hard adjustment is supposed to be done on the spring rate, not the valve, as the continuous adjustment of softhard will accelerate the wear and tear of the seals on the soft hard adjustment valve in the cylinder.

Soft hard adjustment on the top of the suspension is just a turning to increase/reduce the opening of a valve insuide the cylinder to control the flow of the oil/gas in the absorbers. thus altering the damping rate of the absorbers. Think twice, on the hardest setting, and u can still press the absorbers down is u are at the weight of 100KG, u thin it can support Putra of 900KGS/4???

It's the spring rate. However, spring are manufactured not adjustable.

But, in Malaysia, we have titan racing. Value for money in terms of the design(monotube), the warranty for 2 years including setting change.

And also test on different setting in the cars they provide untill u feel which one u like, they'll adjust the same setting according to your car weight and mass distribution.

Can make appointment with them and change setting until u satisfy. They cahnge the spring into a different ratez

woooo wooo woooooo....

hold up boys... hang on.. adjustable or non adjustable... urm... its true.. i have to try it first to the cars that has these specs..

i definitely go for comfy ones of course but still a bit of stiffness.. hmmm hard to discribe it..

n racing clutch... hehe not yet...or maybe not for my car for now... :)

yeah about fixin air intakes, and any other mods im up for it.. only after a good service will be done to my car..

went to sunway to check up some shops.. and theres this only one shop i notice was 'kakimotor' and selling all other parts.. which was good.. learn a bit or two... and i wanted to know... whats the different between blitz air filters and hks ones? which is better? i think the guys said that the green mushroom hks dont fit my putra or i think K&N ones.. not so sure.. but which is which.. either both... which ones are the good ones? blitz ones are just plug n play.. no added piping or anything... so what do u think? thhnnnxxxxx

and about the brakes... before changin my gearbox,.. i did some normal service like changing the break pads.... oil change etc.. but the guy keep on mentioning to me about skimming the disk breaks.. i wasnt sure wether he is trying to rip me off but... the thing is.. can u see the difference clearly with a normal eye.. i.e 'karat' or bengkok or something? :))

sorry guys.. but really im thankful to all the msgs u replied.. really help me a lot.. thhhxxxxxxxxxx
Smart choice on the absorbers and clutch. Stay stock at the moment.

Abt Air intake, read this... U'll know which one to get.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

however, open pods are louder... Some ppl think they sound sweet. Some ppl thinks they are noisy... It depends...

happy modding

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have the folowing problem. I have bouth the alarm a cupple jears ago.(4jears) at a dealer in holland. it was installed in a old corsa.(wife's car) when the car went to the junkjard i removed the alarm.
In this time i moved to a diverend house. so the original box and munual where trown away by my wife!:banghead:

I whent back to the dealer for a new manual so i could install it in my own car. unfurtuntly the dealer dousn't exist anymore.:mad:

I tride to find the manufacter of the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience