Putra Re-born

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
The belts definitely needs to be changed before it snaps....since the history of the car is not certain...do not take the risk...change your engine oil...try using oil with a viscosity 10w-40....semi synthetic....change your spark plugs...change the belts...then start modding...if your timing belt snaps....you can kiss that beautiful 1.8dohc twin cam 4g93 baby goodbye.....nothing is hotter then a nice clean smooth engine under the hood.. :biggrin:

about the extractor/header..you can just get those stainless steel ones..can get replica's...or ori from japan...BUT before getting the extractor...you need to decide what do you want out of your car....? there are 2 types of extractor. 4-2-1 and 4-1.this is a post in another thread :

4-2-1 extractor should be good for you.power comes at early rpm

4-1 for better top end power

4-2-1 for low/mid range power

in short,your peak torque will come in at later parts of the RPM range if you go for 4-1,and the other way round for 4-2-1.

when you are racing/driving fast...you drag your rpm all the way to lets say 7k,then shift rpm drops to maybe around 4k then it starts climbing again...till the next shift...from what i understand,for those who like to drag 4-1 is the best cause you will mostly be using high rpms...

but if your car is more for city driving or street driving ...go for 4-2-1..you'll be using more low to mid range power rather then high...you need to decide what you want or whats best for you.nobody can tell you what you want. :nurse:
hope this helps you some how decide which will be best for you.

ps: i hope the Brazilian Booty thing did not offend you ... :D hehehe ..to my defense...you caught me off guard... :biggrin:

Last edited:

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thx calvin!

lol urm thanks to angrysnail!

yeah... im getting this baby on the road as if its a mustang! lol kidding...

btw,.. what is good... either adjustable suspension or the normal sports ones?

any suggestions?

thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:biggrin:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
thx calvin!

lol urm thanks to angrysnail!

yeah... im getting this baby on the road as if its a mustang! lol kidding...

btw,.. what is good... either adjustable suspension or the normal sports ones?

any suggestions?

thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:biggrin:
adjustable would be the best option if budget allows....the option of being able to set your absorber to be soft or hard is very important and its money well spent....if you were to buy those sport absorbers...and if in the event you find the its not up to your expectation...you are pretty much @#$%....with adjustable you most likely will not feel this way..the only things is....just ensure when you are getting the adjustables its not leaking....and has a warranty for at least a week or 2...leaking absorbers can be repaired/serviced...

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
OMG im soooo pissed!!

loooll nah com'onnn its alrite! im enjoying your book of knowledge about cars!

sorry but i didnt see your msg for the extractor ones...
hmmm... 4-2-1 shorter range killer pick ups and 4-1 is bests for longer range? as u said.. higher rpms... but usually the extractor comes with the piping set? or only the 4-2-1 host connected to the engine, and another one thats connected to the 2 end from the extractor.. ok .. im lost.. but it comes with the set rite? (inc piping exhaust etc?)

yup about the timing belt.. im planning to take my car tomorrow... but im completely blank to where abouts to send it....

thanks again Mr AD EG!

;))

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Exhaust setup consist of :

1.Extractor @ Exhaust Manifold @ Header
2.Piping...normally changed to larger diameter and catalytic converter removed(aka DE-CAT)
3.Muffler

so you can choose your own extractor,piping and muffler...

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
niicceeeee..

yes. im a happy bunny!

thnx again!!!!

enjoy the knowledge so much!

cant wait to work the car out.. thanks u guys

:wink::wink::smile::smile:

Last edited:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
niicceeeee..

yes. im a happy bunny!

thnx again!!!!

enjoy the knowledge so much!

cant wait to work the car out.. thanks u guys

:wink::wink::smile::smile:
hehehe your welcome.

Have fun modding that beast...

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
hmm ok...

what ur mech is saying about the disc is..it needs to be skimmed...they will sort of shave the disc to remove any left behind chemicals from your brake pad,during excessive usage,or over a long period of time...you might have warped your disc...so they skim it...to clear it...they also use that method to make it even....

normally it would be best going back to the same mechanic IF he is reliable and also knowledgeable about modding engines .... so we dont know your mech personally ...but what kind of cars does he have there usually?

for installation of parts such as crank pulleys,or replacement of wear and tear parts should be ok,but things like port and polish,re boring the block,changing pistons ,you should not do it at a normal mech's place.one small mistake,your whole engine can suffer..and he will most likely not take responsibility for his own mistake....just becareful....make sure he knows what he is doing

yes,you can always bring in your own things/parts to change..they just charge you labor
heya, sry just wanna tumpang thread and ask. how much would skimming usually cost? skimming the front 2 brake disc. can it b done at normal tyre shop?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
not sure if a tire shop can do bro...if they got the machine then can la..normally they send to a machine shop..if i remember correctly around rm60 for a pair.

liz@rd

Known Member
Sep 25, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Abang AD_EG , 4-1 also can match the pick up of 4-2-1 and top end will be smoother ... my 2 cents since i'm using 1 ...
and to Bro Lola2574 , according 2 my 2 cents knowledge since i own a Putra as well , maybe u shld go this way

4-1 / 4-2-1 + Larger diameter mandrel piping , just make sure u follow back the original path
Adj Susp
Open Pod + CAI

Sudah cukup makan le atm , then only start on others ...

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Wow a puteri driving a putra?
Girl + putra + manual tranny + thirst for power n modding = my prayers for the girl of my dreams has been answered! Haha just kidding!
Back to topic, i guess doing stage1 tune up is just nice since miss lola is new to all this.. Like mr liz@rd said; air filter + CAI + 4-2-1 + adj suspension is ok i guess.. Might want to observe for signs of major repairs since its not been used for quite some time.. Look out in case got signs of KARAT also.. Its like skin disease!

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
with just simple mods like header and racing clutch, u will absolutely feel the engine response better. but like others said, change the timing belt first. very important!

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
If you r doing the timing belt.. it is best to replace the water pump as well... coz its situated under the belt area.. 4G93 na is quite easy to maintain... just the parts are quite expensive.. the stock engine has quite a decent power... my advise is to tighten the handling.. coilovers n arb should do nicely... then ull know u can use the stock power when u hv control... then start the next pursuit of engine mods...

lola2574

Dec 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
ola!!!

thanks everyone!

im off to sunway to check wether they have some workshops open ;S will check my timing belt..
but im not so sure i think my last mech said that it was alrite.. but i better check it again,,,..

well some part of the putra was all karat... which is the radiator head.. change the whole top off... urm... need to check the engine oil... plus allignment.. the steering is proper not straight at all... and definitely disk brakes.. *sigh* alot of things to do before busy monday comes!!!

but timing belt wont cost a lot wouldnt it?

to Luka... urm tighten the handling? u mean?

thxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
If you r doing the timing belt.. it is best to replace the water pump as well... coz its situated under the belt area.. 4G93 na is quite easy to maintain... just the parts are quite expensive.. the stock engine has quite a decent power... my advise is to tighten the handling.. coilovers n arb should do nicely... then ull know u can use the stock power when u hv control... then start the next pursuit of engine mods...
to be precise, the water pump is driven by the timing belt. Once u removed the timing belt, u might as well change the water pump as well cause u're afraid that the water pump will fail n u'll need to take out the timing belt again. So, double workmanship.

ola!!!

thanks everyone!

im off to sunway to check wether they have some workshops open ;S will check my timing belt..
but im not so sure i think my last mech said that it was alrite.. but i better check it again,,,..

well some part of the putra was all karat... which is the radiator head.. change the whole top off... urm... need to check the engine oil... plus allignment.. the steering is proper not straight at all... and definitely disk brakes.. *sigh* alot of things to do before busy monday comes!!!

but timing belt wont cost a lot wouldnt it?

to Luka... urm tighten the handling? u mean?

thxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It depends. Some comes in a set with the tensioner bearings n other belts. Some performance type only comes in single belt. So, it depends on which type u looking for. Would cost u rm2xx.

Regarding the handling, it includes of absorbers, lower arm, arb, body rigidity, wheel offset/diameter, traction n overall mass distribution of the car. A tighter handling Means a better tuned suspensions, arb, lower arms n wheels.

However, with power, it comes responsibility. I'd say power comes after safety. Handling, braking n braking system mods first, then go for engine mods.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

need to ask you guys if you've heard of this shop before and how good are they? they seem to be the nearest mod shop for me and thinking of prepping my car up there.

but need some feedback from you guys out there. biased or not...i'm all ears.

thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience