Proton owners with coilovers

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Cut to the chase, im driving a wira and got myself a pair of coilovers quite some time ago. I was actually warned that coilovers might rattle the interior pieces. Still got them at the end of the day. Yes, it does rattle the interior pieces, especially the door cards. I learned it the hard way.

I just want to know if every car(local and imported) actually goes through this if coilovers are installed in that particular car. I highly doubt this though, but would prefer to get some input on this. Or is it only affected by local cars? If yes, only older cars, or even new ones too?

btw, if you're driving a car with coilovers, and if you're in the same boat as me, what did you do? You learned to live with or you actually attempted to fix it somehow? Would like to know about this.

Thanks.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Cut to the chase, im driving a wira and got myself a pair of coilovers quite some time ago. I was actually warned that coilovers might rattle the interior pieces. Still got them at the end of the day. Yes, it does rattle the interior pieces, especially the door cards. I learned it the hard way.

I just want to know if every car(local and imported) actually goes through this if coilovers are installed in that particular car. I highly doubt this though, but would prefer to get some input on this. Or is it only affected by local cars? If yes, only older cars, or even new ones too?

btw, if you're driving a car with coilovers, and if you're in the same boat as me, what did you do? You learned to live with or you actually attempted to fix it somehow? Would like to know about this.

Thanks.
what do you mean by rattling of interior pieces? is yours set too hard? it depends on the coilovers brand, price, damping, spring rate, and setup. cheap coilovers usually are non serviceable. those higher quality ones like tein etc have better damping. you can get those serviceable local brands like HWL or PRS and get it set up properly.

i'm using those cheap taiwan coilovers. these are non serviceable so nothing much i can do about it. planning to swap these to a proper ones soon. been using it for 3 years now.

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
what do you mean by rattling of interior pieces? is yours set too hard? it depends on the coilovers brand, price, damping, spring rate, and setup. cheap coilovers usually are non serviceable. those higher quality ones like tein etc have better damping. you can get those serviceable local brands like HWL or PRS and get it set up properly.

i'm using those cheap taiwan coilovers. these are non serviceable so nothing much i can do about it. planning to swap these to a proper ones soon. been using it for 3 years now.
What I meant is that, in my car, I can hear the door cards rattling and some interior panels. I'm using hwl(6k/4k) hlsh. Now I'm on the softest setting possible. So do you notice any rattling in ur car?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What I meant is that, in my car, I can hear the door cards rattling and some interior panels. I'm using hwl(6k/4k) hlsh. Now I'm on the softest setting possible. So do you notice any rattling in ur car?
I had my old front abs redone, means cut open, service/change and now is serviceable. Rear are hilo only. Then friend offered me his D2 coilover which he did not want anymore since his project car cancelled. Bought them cheap but even with softest setting still hard. Live with it for a few years already since the car nowadays rarely driven, but thinking of servicing my old set and change back......lol

Reactions: STR

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
It depends on the fit quality of the car. I experience wira 1.6 on HWL 6k/4k hi lo...the ride is nonsense at normal pace and improve slightly at higher pace.

Does it rattle? In my friend case with his wira, it start to rattle...becomes slightly worst then stay there until today.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
my suspension is not exactly soft. haha. these taiwan coilovers i have the damping is slightly harder than stock absorber and my spring rates are 6k/4k as well. it bounce and rattle. best example driving over those new red line speed bumps at highway corners. the dash and everything else brap brap brap. :rofl::rofl:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
my suspension is not exactly soft. haha. these taiwan coilovers i have the damping is slightly harder than stock absorber and my spring rates are 6k/4k as well. it bounce and rattle. best example driving over those new red line speed bumps at highway corners. the dash and everything else brap brap brap. :rofl::rofl:
Ever experience the glovebox auto open moment?

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
name pun coilovers, comfort is second once u bough and fixed it.
i used before hwl 8k/4k , then jump to ftuned 6k/4k. I'm driving wira too.
the best u can compensate is with higher profile rubber. i run 195/55/ r15. ok lah....still got rattling , hahaha

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thanks.
It all depends on your car. If it rattles fix it. There's nothing a screw driver/spanner and cable ties can't fix. I'm currently driving around a loaner Saga FLX on hardcore coilovers and I'm absolutely in love with it. Zero rattles from the car inside and out.

Don't forget - those clicks on the coilovers 90% of the time is rebound rate - not dampening rate. Setting it to the slowest rebound rate doesn't mean it's the "softest". Just means the absorber will be slower to compress and rebound.

Reactions: STR and sanekit

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Thanks.

wrong spring rate...

u need spring rate around 4-5k at front and 2.5~3k for rear....

problem solved

Reactions: STR and sanekit

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
wrong spring rate...

u need spring rate around 4-5k at front and 2.5~3k for rear....

problem solved
Then must find something in between. My older softer suspension was better in wavy road, now harder coilover good for flat road, jumps and skip on wavy road at high speed....lol

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
It depends on the fit quality of the car. I experience wira 1.6 on HWL 6k/4k hi lo...the ride is nonsense at normal pace and improve slightly at higher pace.

Does it rattle? In my friend case with his wira, it start to rattle...becomes slightly worst then stay there until today.
Yeah, exactly. Its perfectly alright for me when im driving somewhat fast. The rattling will be there when im driving slow. damn...guess ur friend is one of them who learned to live with it...

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
name pun coilovers, comfort is second once u bough and fixed it.
i used before hwl 8k/4k , then jump to ftuned 6k/4k. I'm driving wira too.
the best u can compensate is with higher profile rubber. i run 195/55/ r15. ok lah....still got rattling , hahaha
Nah dude, im not actually looking for comfort. Knew that i cant be looking for comfort when i was getting the coilovers. Its just that, when the stuffs rattles in ur car, being a car guy, it feels somewhat frustrating. Just want things to be proper and complete in my ride. Im running the same type of tyres too. haha..

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
It all depends on your car. If it rattles fix it. There's nothing a screw driver/spanner and cable ties can't fix. I'm currently driving around a loaner Saga FLX on hardcore coilovers and I'm absolutely in love with it. Zero rattles from the car inside and out.

Don't forget - those clicks on the coilovers 90% of the time is rebound rate - not dampening rate. Setting it to the slowest rebound rate doesn't mean it's the "softest". Just means the absorber will be slower to compress and rebound.

Okay, ill give it a try. will remove the panels that rattles and fix them up as u said. yeah, no wonder ur in love with it....Got it....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Tools :
  1. Screw Driver
  2. Ratchet
  3. Bolt size 10,12,14,17,19
  4. spanner size 12
  5. long pipe

• The tools
  • Picture explain everthing u need
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience