sam1741

1,000 RPM

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
hi all

VS is many capacitors
connected to the + and - of battery
to . 'stabilize' the voltage? (supply voltage when there r extra need for a very short time)?

so is it possible to install on other place other than near the battery
example in the acc circuit,
when the circuit is on, also + is c onnected to + of the battery and same with - is conencted to the car body than to the battery

so example i connected to cigerette lighther place, so when the circuit is on, than is also same with connected near the battery right??

i doing this cause if i switch off the engine
the VS is not connected also
so can minimize the small drain of battery from the capacitor, if i not use the car long time

any sifu can giv opinion about this?

youmolo

Known Member

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
imho, a vs is useless. your battery can supply plenty more current than any of your car's accessories can take.

your idea to connect it to the ciggy lighter is right. but the car's ciggy lighter connection to the battery is not using thick cables. so you may not want to do tat ;)

just my 2cents

youmolo

Known Member

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
theorekz said:
i thought the function of VS is to stablises the voltage as there's distortion of voltage which will damage electronic components in long term???
there wont be any distortion in voltage in a car because the battery can supply HUGE amounts of current before you get a substantial voltage drop. Unless you are drawing, say 100 amps of current from the battery, you wont see any voltage drop. and even a capacitor won't be able to prevent the voltage drop.

and distortion in voltage won't spoil your electronics stuff because most of them have a built in voltage regulator or a separate power supply.

youmolo

Known Member

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
voltage drop will be noticable when starting the car, or switching on the headlights. a vs won't b able to help here. voltage spikes won't happen either because your battery absorbs all the spikes due to its large capacity. so in reality, a vs isn't really needed.

sam1741

1,000 RPM

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
actually i do have this problem
if i turn on small lamp (can see the meter having light)t
than if i turn on the headlamp, there is suddent dim of everything for about half a second.
and one time i traveling uphill and i turn on headlight..suddently whole car jerk like engine wan to die....

so i dono.. maybe i need a VS...
but actually my car not have any electric equiptment
not even radio or any player
just a plain simple old car

youmolo

Known Member

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
c-ground said:
a battery has a big capacity, yes. But the charging and discharging rate of the battery can't match what a VS is able to do. Just my two cents.
yes, you are right about the charging and discharging rate of the capacitors. capacitors can charge up way way faster than batteries, but they discharge at the same rate too. unless you have a very very very big capacitor, say around 10F (10 farads, not 10uf), the capacitors won't be able to stop those voltage drops and spikes.

you can picture it in another way. Say you have a very big container ship and a small sampan. The big container ship weighs thousands of tons. The sampan weighs maybe less than 1 ton. The container ship has big mass, so it has big inertia when moving. If you put a piece of log in front of it, the people on board will probably feel nothing. But if you put the same piece of log in front of the sampan, it will probably capsize. We can relate this to what we are talking about here. The battery is just like the big ship, it has huge storage capacity and it requires huge amounts of power to charge it (moving the ship requires powerful engines). But once it's moving, it takes a very big force to stop it. The capacitor is like the sampan. Easy to get it moving, but it's easy to stop too. The log can be related to as voltage drops or spikes. So you see, capacitors just don't have the ability to suppress those drops and spikes because their capacity is too small.

i don't claim all these without any proof. My brother built a capacitor bank to act as a vs a while ago. It did nothing. Blasting the subs still created fluctuations in the battery voltage. This was measured using a multimeter. So i hope you can see now why I think the vs doesn't help in stabilizing the car's voltage.

youmolo

Known Member

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
sam1741 said:
actually i do have this problem
if i turn on small lamp (can see the meter having light)t
than if i turn on the headlamp, there is suddent dim of everything for about half a second.
and one time i traveling uphill and i turn on headlight..suddently whole car jerk like engine wan to die....

so i dono.. maybe i need a VS...
but actually my car not have any electric equiptment
not even radio or any player
just a plain simple old car
you mentioned that your car is old? Check the battery grounding for proper connection. Corrosion may increase the resistance and therefore causing voltage drops across it. I assume your battery is ok :)

sam1741

1,000 RPM

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
youmolo said:
you mentioned that your car is old? Check the battery grounding for proper connection. Corrosion may increase the resistance and therefore causing voltage drops across it. I assume your battery is ok :)
ya.. my car is old
but battery is new, changed on april.

ok.. i go check on the grounding cable...
dono if got problem can get that in spare parts shop or not.. :)

youmolo

Known Member

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
sam1741 said:
ya.. my car is old
but battery is new, changed on april.

ok.. i go check on the grounding cable...
dono if got problem can get that in spare parts shop or not.. :)
if not you can go get a grounding kit for your car. shouldn't cost a lot ;)

c-ground

Known Member

c-ground

Known Member
Apr 5, 2005
Seri Kembangan
cground.fotopic.net
youmolo said:
yes, you are right about the charging and discharging rate of the capacitors. capacitors can charge up way way faster than batteries, but they discharge at the same rate too. unless you have a very very very big capacitor, say around 10F (10 farads, not 10uf), the capacitors won't be able to stop those voltage drops and spikes.

you can picture it in another way. Say you have a very big container ship and a small sampan. The big container ship weighs thousands of tons. The sampan weighs maybe less than 1 ton. The container ship has big mass, so it has big inertia when moving. If you put a piece of log in front of it, the people on board will probably feel nothing. But if you put the same piece of log in front of the sampan, it will probably capsize. We can relate this to what we are talking about here. The battery is just like the big ship, it has huge storage capacity and it requires huge amounts of power to charge it (moving the ship requires powerful engines). But once it's moving, it takes a very big force to stop it. The capacitor is like the sampan. Easy to get it moving, but it's easy to stop too. The log can be related to as voltage drops or spikes. So you see, capacitors just don't have the ability to suppress those drops and spikes because their capacity is too small.

i don't claim all these without any proof. My brother built a capacitor bank to act as a vs a while ago. It did nothing. Blasting the subs still created fluctuations in the battery voltage. This was measured using a multimeter. So i hope you can see now why I think the vs doesn't help in stabilizing the car's voltage.
understand that.. cap bank DON'T work...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

normally, people say not to run the engine hard for the 1st 1500km, no uphill and high speed highways etc..basically be gentle with the engine

however, this article says otherwise

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

basically, he recommends us to run the engine hard so the piston ring may seal properly. im started to agree with him and planning to do it after full overhaul soon...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience