possible to install VS on other place?

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member
Dec 18, 2004
1,188
0
3,136
hi all

VS is many capacitors
connected to the + and - of battery
to . 'stabilize' the voltage? (supply voltage when there r extra need for a very short time)?


so is it possible to install on other place other than near the battery
example in the acc circuit,
when the circuit is on, also + is c onnected to + of the battery and same with - is conencted to the car body than to the battery

so example i connected to cigerette lighther place, so when the circuit is on, than is also same with connected near the battery right??



i doing this cause if i switch off the engine
the VS is not connected also
so can minimize the small drain of battery from the capacitor, if i not use the car long time


any sifu can giv opinion about this?
 

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member
Jul 3, 2005
208
0
1,516
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
imho, a vs is useless. your battery can supply plenty more current than any of your car's accessories can take.

your idea to connect it to the ciggy lighter is right. but the car's ciggy lighter connection to the battery is not using thick cables. so you may not want to do tat ;)

just my 2cents
 

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member
Jul 3, 2005
208
0
1,516
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
theorekz said:
i thought the function of VS is to stablises the voltage as there's distortion of voltage which will damage electronic components in long term???
there wont be any distortion in voltage in a car because the battery can supply HUGE amounts of current before you get a substantial voltage drop. Unless you are drawing, say 100 amps of current from the battery, you wont see any voltage drop. and even a capacitor won't be able to prevent the voltage drop.

and distortion in voltage won't spoil your electronics stuff because most of them have a built in voltage regulator or a separate power supply.
 

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member
Jul 3, 2005
208
0
1,516
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
voltage drop will be noticable when starting the car, or switching on the headlights. a vs won't b able to help here. voltage spikes won't happen either because your battery absorbs all the spikes due to its large capacity. so in reality, a vs isn't really needed.
 

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member
Thread starter
Dec 18, 2004
1,188
0
3,136
actually i do have this problem
if i turn on small lamp (can see the meter having light)t
than if i turn on the headlamp, there is suddent dim of everything for about half a second.
and one time i traveling uphill and i turn on headlight..suddently whole car jerk like engine wan to die....

so i dono.. maybe i need a VS...
but actually my car not have any electric equiptment
not even radio or any player
just a plain simple old car
 

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member
Jul 3, 2005
208
0
1,516
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
c-ground said:
a battery has a big capacity, yes. But the charging and discharging rate of the battery can't match what a VS is able to do. Just my two cents.
yes, you are right about the charging and discharging rate of the capacitors. capacitors can charge up way way faster than batteries, but they discharge at the same rate too. unless you have a very very very big capacitor, say around 10F (10 farads, not 10uf), the capacitors won't be able to stop those voltage drops and spikes.

you can picture it in another way. Say you have a very big container ship and a small sampan. The big container ship weighs thousands of tons. The sampan weighs maybe less than 1 ton. The container ship has big mass, so it has big inertia when moving. If you put a piece of log in front of it, the people on board will probably feel nothing. But if you put the same piece of log in front of the sampan, it will probably capsize. We can relate this to what we are talking about here. The battery is just like the big ship, it has huge storage capacity and it requires huge amounts of power to charge it (moving the ship requires powerful engines). But once it's moving, it takes a very big force to stop it. The capacitor is like the sampan. Easy to get it moving, but it's easy to stop too. The log can be related to as voltage drops or spikes. So you see, capacitors just don't have the ability to suppress those drops and spikes because their capacity is too small.

i don't claim all these without any proof. My brother built a capacitor bank to act as a vs a while ago. It did nothing. Blasting the subs still created fluctuations in the battery voltage. This was measured using a multimeter. So i hope you can see now why I think the vs doesn't help in stabilizing the car's voltage.
 

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member
Jul 3, 2005
208
0
1,516
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
sam1741 said:
actually i do have this problem
if i turn on small lamp (can see the meter having light)t
than if i turn on the headlamp, there is suddent dim of everything for about half a second.
and one time i traveling uphill and i turn on headlight..suddently whole car jerk like engine wan to die....

so i dono.. maybe i need a VS...
but actually my car not have any electric equiptment
not even radio or any player
just a plain simple old car
you mentioned that your car is old? Check the battery grounding for proper connection. Corrosion may increase the resistance and therefore causing voltage drops across it. I assume your battery is ok :)
 

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member
Thread starter
Dec 18, 2004
1,188
0
3,136
youmolo said:
you mentioned that your car is old? Check the battery grounding for proper connection. Corrosion may increase the resistance and therefore causing voltage drops across it. I assume your battery is ok :)
ya.. my car is old
but battery is new, changed on april.

ok.. i go check on the grounding cable...
dono if got problem can get that in spare parts shop or not.. :)
 

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member

youmolo

Known Member
Senior Member
Jul 3, 2005
208
0
1,516
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
sam1741 said:
ya.. my car is old
but battery is new, changed on april.

ok.. i go check on the grounding cable...
dono if got problem can get that in spare parts shop or not.. :)
if not you can go get a grounding kit for your car. shouldn't cost a lot ;)
 

c-ground

Known Member
Senior Member

c-ground

Known Member
Senior Member
Apr 5, 2005
311
1
3,016
Seri Kembangan
cground.fotopic.net
youmolo said:
yes, you are right about the charging and discharging rate of the capacitors. capacitors can charge up way way faster than batteries, but they discharge at the same rate too. unless you have a very very very big capacitor, say around 10F (10 farads, not 10uf), the capacitors won't be able to stop those voltage drops and spikes.

you can picture it in another way. Say you have a very big container ship and a small sampan. The big container ship weighs thousands of tons. The sampan weighs maybe less than 1 ton. The container ship has big mass, so it has big inertia when moving. If you put a piece of log in front of it, the people on board will probably feel nothing. But if you put the same piece of log in front of the sampan, it will probably capsize. We can relate this to what we are talking about here. The battery is just like the big ship, it has huge storage capacity and it requires huge amounts of power to charge it (moving the ship requires powerful engines). But once it's moving, it takes a very big force to stop it. The capacitor is like the sampan. Easy to get it moving, but it's easy to stop too. The log can be related to as voltage drops or spikes. So you see, capacitors just don't have the ability to suppress those drops and spikes because their capacity is too small.

i don't claim all these without any proof. My brother built a capacitor bank to act as a vs a while ago. It did nothing. Blasting the subs still created fluctuations in the battery voltage. This was measured using a multimeter. So i hope you can see now why I think the vs doesn't help in stabilizing the car's voltage.
understand that.. cap bank DON'T work...
 

huakenny

LB Performance
Senior Member

huakenny

LB Performance
Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
9,128
240
3,163
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
sam1741 said:
ya.. my car is old
but battery is new, changed on april.

ok.. i go check on the grounding cable...
dono if got problem can get that in spare parts shop or not.. :)
ur mech should got spare the stock ground cable...can try ot ask ur mech....cost u veli cheap nia...then change ur battery terminal as well if not in good condition...
 

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Moderator

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Moderator
Sep 1, 2005
1,955
153
1,663
Limau bali,Ipoh
wanna ask, sorry for interrupting.

i just bought my wira se november last year. havent dont anything, its stock. except some accessories like gc and vc.

the problem i have these few days is the battery so weak, the radio cant even turn on properly (very dim light, starter motor turn slowly etc)let alone to start the engine. have to push the car a bit then can start.is this because everyday i only use the car let say just for about 20 minutes (coz my office so near)? the battery i check still full of the battery water. i never forget to turn off lamp, the car will give alarm if i dont do so.

since less than one year, can claim the battery?:confused_smile:
 
Last edited:

huakenny

LB Performance
Senior Member

huakenny

LB Performance
Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
9,128
240
3,163
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
K_Takuya said:
wanna ask, sorry for interrupting.

i just bought my wira se november last year. havent dont anything, its stock. except some accessories like gc and vc.

the problem i have these few days is the battery so weak, the radio cant even turn on properly. let alone to start the engine. have to push the car a bit then can start.is this because everyday i only use the car let say just for about 20 minutes (coz my office so near)? the battery i check still full of the battery water. i never forget to turn off lamp, the car will give alarm if i dont do so.

since less than one year, can claim the battery?:confused_smile:
within one year can claim..but do check ur alternator....

wat mean by hv to push the car abit then only can start?
 

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Moderator

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Moderator
Sep 1, 2005
1,955
153
1,663
Limau bali,Ipoh
huakenny said:
within one year can claim..but do check ur alternator....

wat mean by hv to push the car abit then only can start?
the battery so weak, when turn the ignition on... the starter motor only turn a bit. or if i dont start the car but turn on my radio, then after that turn on light.. the radio went out. seems not enuff power.. all lights dim, real dim. even the digital clock become dim.

so have to push the car, coz starter motor cant start the engine. after that is oke.. can start. but after i stop after few hours (let say overnight) the battery low again.

how long have to wait for the claim? if i drive my car (start it) to to eon the battery will go near normal again. how do i prove its weak?
 

huakenny

LB Performance
Senior Member

huakenny

LB Performance
Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
9,128
240
3,163
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
i think dun need to wait..wil change to u on the spot....take out urs n replaced wit the new one...urs they wil send to claim n get a new battery again to sell....

they hv tool to check the power level o battery....
 

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member
Thread starter
Dec 18, 2004
1,188
0
3,136
cause i thinking of
if my stock ground cable is deteriorated
than replace with new stock one will do...

but actually i got add more grounding cable also
dono why not help
 

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Senior Member
Thread starter
Dec 18, 2004
1,188
0
3,136
oh,
just check it. :)

no oil,
little oxidation
and very dusty.. :)

maybe clean it will help
later i try n see..
 

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Moderator

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Moderator
Sep 1, 2005
1,955
153
1,663
Limau bali,Ipoh
ive done 16000 km already ..tomorrow will bring to eon for checkup. thanks guys.