Persona brake upgrade

yelsew91

Nov 7, 2008
Hi guys I'm currently planning to upgrade the brakes on my persona to mitsubishi twinpot.

So far I have a few questions. .
1. Twinpot from eterna and EVO 3 shares the same caliper (correct me if I'm wrong), what about the rotors?
2. What effects will using rotors with the same diameter but different thickness cause?
3. Can waja's knuckle fit in persona's lower arm and absorber?

Appreciate all the inputs ..:idea:

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
let me just emphasize on your Q2. What effects will using rotors with the same diameter but different thickness cause?

[
....the thickness of a rotor is proportional to the amount of heat we want to retain and dissipate, two very different properties. A properly designed brake system will take into account the optimal operating temperature of the rotors and the pads. A thin solid rotor will retain more heat than a thicker vented rotor. The key is to choose a rotor that will dissipate the excess heat, but still remain within the working temperature range of the brake pads. Some brake pads operate well while cold, others need some heat before they have any bite. The brake disk thickness must be chosen to match the pads and to match the driving that will be done. ....
]

brakes are something very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing, oversize, or undersize, will cause alot of hazardous safety issue....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Changing to bigger caliper and disc not necessary better. You may need to upgrade the vacuum servo also if not the pressure may not be enough. Probably can try better brake pads first?

yelsew91

Nov 7, 2008
let me just emphasize on your Q2. What effects will using rotors with the same diameter but different thickness cause?

[
....the thickness of a rotor is proportional to the amount of heat we want to retain and dissipate, two very different properties. A properly designed brake system will take into account the optimal operating temperature of the rotors and the pads. A thin solid rotor will retain more heat than a thicker vented rotor. The key is to choose a rotor that will dissipate the excess heat, but still remain within the working temperature range of the brake pads. Some brake pads operate well while cold, others need some heat before they have any bite. The brake disk thickness must be chosen to match the pads and to match the driving that will be done. ....
]

brakes are something very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing, oversize, or undersize, will cause alot of hazardous safety issue....
Thanks alot for the reply.. I guess i'll not try to modify the rotors out of the stock specifications.. better to stay stock than simply mix and match ..

Changing to bigger caliper and disc not necessary better. You may need to upgrade the vacuum servo also if not the pressure may not be enough. Probably can try better brake pads first?
yeap.. i'm currently using twin layer servo and bendix general CT on the stock brakes.. after many KMs it got worn out hence I thought of the upgrade hehe..

Well the situation is like this.. I read up here and there and found out that eterna twinpot fits Persona with some mods..But the set I sourced had major defect (one rotor smaller than the other with uneven brake pads??) so I thought of using the rotors from similar brake sets to substitute..
I've now took it back and exchanged for a set of evo3s..

yelsew91

Nov 7, 2008
What is ur front running on? if its OEM, and u change to twinpot, the rear will break out?
Just a thought.
The front is still OEM.. so far since the twin layer servo I haven't have any wheel locking for both front and rear..probably cause of the weight? not sure what will happen with the twinpot. I'm going to get a set of discs for the rears as well before installing..

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks alot for the reply.. I guess i'll not try to modify the rotors out of the stock specifications.. better to stay stock than simply mix and match ..

yeap.. i'm currently using twin layer servo and bendix general CT on the stock brakes.. after many KMs it got worn out hence I thought of the upgrade hehe..

Well the situation is like this.. I read up here and there and found out that eterna twinpot fits Persona with some mods..But the set I sourced had major defect (one rotor smaller than the other with uneven brake pads??) so I thought of using the rotors from similar brake sets to substitute..
I've now took it back and exchanged for a set of evo3s..
General CT is the entry level pads for Bendix. As explained by jeffayn on the different working temperature of various pads, what are you looking for from the brake upgrade? Better bite when cold, better fade resistance, etc.?
Since you already have twin layer vacuum servo means your brakes already have better bite? But with General CT, it will not take hot punishment like downhill from Genting. You can upgrade to Metal King Titanium which is good when hot, but needs a little warm up in the morning and the bite when cold is not too good.
Another is Trestor Blue advantage pads. Currently using in my VR, bite even when cold and can withstand quite high temperature but dust a lot.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

The front is still OEM.. so far since the twin layer servo I haven't have any wheel locking for both front and rear..probably cause of the weight? not sure what will happen with the twinpot. I'm going to get a set of discs for the rears as well before installing..
Means your Persona is fitted with rear drums and without ABS?

yelsew91

Nov 7, 2008
General CT is the entry level pads for Bendix. As explained by jeffayn on the different working temperature of various pads, what are you looking for from the brake upgrade? Better bite when cold, better fade resistance, etc.?
Since you already have twin layer vacuum servo means your brakes already have better bite? But with General CT, it will not take hot punishment like downhill from Genting. You can upgrade to Metal King Titanium which is good when hot, but needs a little warm up in the morning and the bite when cold is not too good.
Another is Trestor Blue advantage pads. Currently using in my VR, bite even when cold and can withstand quite high temperature but dust a lot.
Yes it currently has better bite but mostly during cold thus i'm looking for abit more bite during hot temps for some spirited driving .. i'll try the Metal King Titanium. General CT has been great (ie good stopping power without much dust)..
Where can I get Trestor Blue? is it Ceramic? first time coming across this brand hehe.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Means your Persona is fitted with rear drums and without ABS?
Yeap.. B-line with rear drums and without ABS. Just got the rear discs.. was told that it doesn't have ABS module in it.. is it true? Before this I fitted a set of brakes from a Putra into a Wira and it turned out that both the rear ABS module have to be stripped.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeap.. B-line with rear drums and without ABS. Just got the rear discs.. was told that it doesn't have ABS module in it.. is it true? Before this I fitted a set of brakes from a Putra into a Wira and it turned out that both the rear ABS module have to be stripped.
Even if have the module at the brake rotor, you still the whole ABS system to be fitted, not only the module at the disc rotor.
Trestor brand actually comes from the same manufacturer (FMP) as Bendix in Malaysia. Bendix have General CT and Metal King, Trestor have Deluxe Organic and Metallic Plus as equivalent but have one more higher and that is Blue Advantage. Was recommended to use by another member and after trying them out in my VR, it has much better initial cold bite and until very hot. The only cons for me is the dust, twice the amount of Metal King but I just love the bite of the Blue advantage....:burnout:
Blue advantage should be semi metallic also..Read more here...
http://www.trestor.com.my/products03.asp

If you are from PJ you can check out PH Auto in SEA Park for it....

Last edited:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
hi bro,
from which car model the twin layer servo u fitted on ur persona? PnP? same bolt mounting pattern?

yelsew91

Nov 7, 2008
Even if have the module at the brake rotor, you still the whole ABS system to be fitted, not only the module at the disc rotor.
Trestor brand actually comes from the same manufacturer (FMP) as Bendix in Malaysia. Bendix have General CT and Metal King, Trestor have Deluxe Organic and Metallic Plus as equivalent but have one more higher and that is Blue Advantage. Was recommended to use by another member and after trying them out in my VR, it has much better initial cold bite and until very hot. The only cons for me is the dust, twice the amount of Metal King but I just love the bite of the Blue advantage....:burnout:
Blue advantage should be semi metallic also..Read more here...
Trestor Malaysia

If you are from PJ you can check out PH Auto in SEA Park for it....
Yeap but i guess its just not feasible to install an ABS system as it would cost alot. Especially with the need to fiddle with the EMS..
I've yet to get new pads for the brakes..the old brakes with General CT bites alot during Cold but just fades away after hot runs. will try out Blue Advantage.. Weekly washes should help eliminate the brake dust problem :biggrin:

hi bro,
from which car model the twin layer servo u fitted on ur persona? PnP? same bolt mounting pattern?
I fitted the servo from a Honda Vi-RS (not sure what model, should be a civic?). PnP without much hassle and no knocking required. That was about 1 year ago. But nowadays I see people being able to fit in servos from Nissan Sr20/Evo3 without having to knock the body.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
I fitted the servo from a Honda Vi-RS (not sure what model, should be a civic?). PnP without much hassle and no knocking required. That was about 1 year ago. But nowadays I see people being able to fit in servos from Nissan Sr20/Evo3 without having to knock the body.
i see.. should be from civic.
btw, my ride is Neo, not sure got space to fit or not double layer servo. :itsme:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeap but i guess its just not feasible to install an ABS system as it would cost alot. Especially with the need to fiddle with the EMS..
I've yet to get new pads for the brakes..the old brakes with General CT bites alot during Cold but just fades away after hot runs. will try out Blue Advantage.. Weekly washes should help eliminate the brake dust problem :biggrin:
Yup, now have to more hard working to wash the rims.....:bawling:

yelsew91

Nov 7, 2008
i see.. should be from civic.
btw, my ride is Neo, not sure got space to fit or not double layer servo. :itsme:
What servo does the Neo come with? Does it have ABS? Most people change the servo on Persona b-line as it is less strong compared to say.. gen2 or Persona H-line.. not sure if changing it would affect the ABS?
Yup, now have to more hard working to wash the rims.....:bawling:
Good exercise plus can maintain the outlook of the car mah :proud:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
What servo does the Neo come with? Does it have ABS? Most people change the servo on Persona b-line as it is less strong compared to say.. gen2 or Persona H-line.. not sure if changing it would affect the ABS?

Good exercise plus can maintain the outlook of the car mah :proud:
proton single layer.. my Neo got ABS.. hence if im changing servo, it requires more work.. bleeding requires PDT/diagnostic tools..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i willing to pay more to get other car than Plotong loh...wei...becareful loh..we cannot said bad about the Plotong loh..or else later kena case like the "Negaruku" loh..later kena sue cos no loyalty to Malaysia just bcos we dun wanna buy Plotong pula...kekekeke:D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience