Perodua Viva Original condition recommended modification

Aug 31, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a 2009 Perodua Viva all with original stock/condition. This car has been performing well for my daily usage to commute to work (short distance around 30-40km daily). Now i have change my office to shah alam, hence daily commute distance is more than 100km daily.

I never modifiy/upgrade my car, so i am really noob in terms of car upgrade. Pls recommend any modification/upgrade i should add? My aim is comfort & stable cruising speed/vibration on highway. Speed/pickup is not my priority.

Thanks guys!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys,

I have a 2009 Perodua Viva all with original stock/condition. This car has been performing well for my daily usage to commute to work (short distance around 30-40km daily). Now i have change my office to shah alam, hence daily commute distance is more than 100km daily.

I never modifiy/upgrade my car, so i am really noob in terms of car upgrade. Pls recommend any modification/upgrade i should add? My aim is comfort & stable cruising speed/vibration on highway. Speed/pickup is not my priority.

Thanks guys!
You want comfort keep it stock, crusing speed is not a problem for stock suspension. Upgrading the suspension you may lose your comfort. For vibration get your balancing done properly......

RaZZ_87

Aug 31, 2021
You want comfort keep it stock, crusing speed is not a problem for stock suspension. Upgrading the suspension you may lose your comfort. For vibration get your balancing done properly......
thanks for the input!
But I thought lower ride have better handling hence better cruising?
How bout rims? Bigger rims have better handling?
Should i change to bucket seat?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
thanks for the input!
From my few years exp with a manual viva, it can be a tiring car to drive regardless if its a smooth road or winding road. This is even when i kept to the legal speed. Its down to the suspension setup and body control. At least thats how i feel and remember that Different people have different preference. Personally i would prefer a slightly firmer ride. The Iriz is a good example of how a small car can deliver ride quality like a decent sedan (that is one small car which i have spend quite some time with). BTW if not mistaken some variant of the Viva dont evem have front ARB.

A too soft suspension is good for comfort but it allows for lots of body movement hence makes the driver or occupant gets tired quicker esp on long journey as they are basically 'thrown' around in the vehicle esp as speed rises .Too firm suspension is just uncomfortable and will have similar result like too soft suspension.

I can share my exp with my BLM. Its a good daily car but i wanted slightly better handling & ride. I experiment with sport spring and i got the handling but not ride quality. Sport spring needs to be paired with sport absorber which i am not keen to spend on. Then i got some UR bars installed and after some time i removed the sport spring but kept the bars on the car. Ride is firm just like how i want it, much more comfortable plus i still have the better handling. Mind u i am still on stock rims and tire size. I have the front upper strut bar, front lower bar, and rear ARB. Now car is back to stock and i have sold all the bars as i dont drive the BLM as frequent anymore.

Bucket seat?
Nope.

Lowered ride height is better?
Better looks is confirmed.
Suspension is not as simple as getting it lower to get better result. There is bound and rebound rate to begin with. Lowered springs only works best with sport/performance absorber. Stock absorber cant keep up with the spring. Finding the right combo is also difficult.

One other thing, Sound proof will definitely helps a bit. Nothing beats a calm drive after a long day in office. It isolate u from the 'mess' around u otw back from work.

So, personally i will recommend some UR bars and soundproofing. This recommendation is based from my own experience. Your preference might be different amd others might suggest something else. Best of all, both soundproofing and UR bars can be DIY installed.

If u still want to keep the car stock rather than experimenting with mod, buy a KTM Duke 200 or 250, Modenas Pulsar NS or RS...or other sport/naked bike 250cc or below with friendly riding position. U will save a lot of travelling time. Rain? There is a reason most daily rider spoilt the nice bike curve by installing Givi box at the back. Inside is their wet gear. With decent wet gear, one will never get wet

Reactions: nw111 and alcyon

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thanks for the input!
Bro,

different people have different opinions on how to approach this. Personally - I wouldn't bother with too much handling and stuff cuz even though right now the traffic is good, it's only a matter of time before the jams are back and getting stuck in traffic will bore the crap out of you.

Assuming you aren't upgrading your car, this is what I would do :

- Keep car stock. Service it thoroughly and change rad fan/rad if needed (if it seems slow or leaking), ensure aircon super cold.
- Tint your car to keep it cool inside
- Get good tyres and brakes for safer driving in case it rains or weather gets tricky.
- Install a good alarm since your car will be out in the open now.
- Consider a good sound system so you can sing karaoke in the car. You don't know how important this is when it comes to long drives.
- Maybe consider sound proofing your car to make it a more comfortable ride
- Is your seats rotten and breaking apart? If not why change to bucket seats? Maybe consider re-upholstering your interior to make it fresh and new

OR.....

- buy a new car that's better.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
thanks for the input!
lower ride and stiffer suspension can be better handling but not better cruising when the suspension is too stiff. I had that in my VR, definitely better handling in corners but when it came to higher speed it jolts when the road in uneven.
As explained by bro, gunnerzz need to tune to your liking. Too much and loses comfort.....lol
Usually bigger rims means wider tyres with lower profile or stiffer sidewall , giving you better contact and better handling, then again how mush wider and lower can lose comfort again...

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
NVH is one of the major factor that cause you to feel tired while driving. Speaking from experience. That's why people praising the comfort of continental car...

I'll go for sound proofing the car. Lesser wind noise will make you less tired. Once sound proof... upgrade the audio system. Replace the stock speakers and upgrade headunit so that you can Spotify. Surely you will enjoy your drive.

bucket seat = thinner sponge, hard seat... = NO
lower spring = it stiffen your ride hence you will feel the ground more... NO
bigger rim = usually with bigger rim you need reduce tyre size. Hence you will feel the ground more. Shall not go anything lower than 50.

Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
NVH is one of the major factor that cause you to feel tired while driving. Speaking from experience. That's why people praising the comfort of continental car...

I'll go for sound proofing the car. Lesser wind noise will make you less tired. Once sound proof... upgrade the audio system. Replace the stock speakers and upgrade headunit so that you can Spotify. Surely you will enjoy your drive.

bucket seat = thinner sponge, hard seat... = NO
lower spring = it stiffen your ride hence you will feel the ground more... NO
bigger rim = usually with bigger rim you need reduce tyre size. Hence you will feel the ground more. Shall not go anything lower than 50.
Not to mention bigger rim will have affected the braking and acceleration performance depending on rim and tyre choices.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Sifus,

Need your advice on the matter above. Recently when I shift the mmt gearbox to D the light was ok then a few seconds later the D light is blinking. What is the reason? After that I pull over at the road shoulder and engagse to N but the D light is still blinking.

Also, when I try to engage the E and S mode the selector indicator is not shown at the panel cluster.

I never experience this before.Please help... :banghead:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience