Performance Upgrade......Pls advise !!!

samlkm

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Hi kawan2 semua, I need some help here about upgrading my engine performance.

I am driving a Ford Telstar 1999 2.0 16V with auto transmission. I would like to actually put in the electric supercharger which comes together with a chip that supposedly will increase my car with extra 15-20 bhp. Is it ok with this ?

I am also looking for MatSpeed coz my friend told me he can custom make camshaft. I was told he is in Shah Alam. Can anyone be kind enough to give me his contact ??????

With the above upgrades in mind, do I need to do anything to my ECU like what all other forums herein mentioned about the piggy ECU etc....... ?

Seriouslu hope sifu sifu outta can lend me a great hand..... :regular_smile:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Hi kawan2 semua, I need some help here about upgrading my engine performance.

I am driving a Ford Telstar 1999 2.0 16V with auto transmission. I would like to actually put in the electric supercharger which comes together with a chip that supposedly will increase my car with extra 15-20 bhp. Is it ok with this ?

I am also looking for MatSpeed coz my friend told me he can custom make camshaft. I was told he is in Shah Alam. Can anyone be kind enough to give me his contact ??????

With the above upgrades in mind, do I need to do anything to my ECU like what all other forums herein mentioned about the piggy ECU etc....... ?

Seriouslu hope sifu sifu outta can lend me a great hand..... :regular_smile:
I think the electric supercharger like the E-ram is full of crap. I think you are better off buying I/H/E and go for a tune with SAFC. Chipping is blind tuning, it will never put down as much power as tuning the SAFC on the dyno.

samlkm

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Hi sifu, mind telling me what's I/H/E and SAFC ? I keep coming across these words but never know what do they mean. If this is recommended, where can I get it done ? Any good recommendation ????

forsaken_avatar

Jan 12, 2007
I/H/E = Intake/ Header(extractor)/ Exhaust

SAFC = Super Air Fuel Converter (by Apex'i)

I/H/E are the basics of car modification... change to performance air filter for better air induction, change to free flow measured length headers and exhaust system so that gases after combustion can be released easily... preferably get mandrel bent pipes.
SAFC is piggyback fuel computer used to fine tune ur car's air fuel ratio for combustion. by utilizing the ability to get richer fuel to air ratio, ur car produces more power... i tink u shud check ur car's ecu compatibility with the safc 1st... safc's are normally used on jap cars... while conti's use AFC Select (also by Apex'i)...

samlkm

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Thank you sifus'. Well mine already changed the muffler and exhaust pipe but not the header as no one has the extractor of my kinda car. Also I have already got the drop in K&N filter. It's just that I have just changed to 17"rims intead of the original 15"rim. So the car feels heavy when taking off. Fortunately with the VS & ground cable, my fuel consumption hasn't increased yet. However, I would like to upgrade something in order to make my ride smooth as water, not speeding in any kind so turbo is definitely out of my consideration.

I was reading about the reprogramming of ECU in this forum and I wonder if that can be done to achieve my objective. How about increasing slightly on the RPM ? But I am afraid it will increase my car's fuel consumption altogether as well ?

Please advise ........

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Making more power means sacrificing fuel. You can't make power without giving more fuel in. Its a path you have to choose. Increasing RPM means you have to strenghten your engine altogether, why increase RPM if your power peaks earlier anyway. You need to research on availability of performance parts for your car before doing anything else.

forsaken_avatar

Jan 12, 2007
anotha thing, maybe u shud consider checking ur spark plugs... old cars' performance are usually highly affected by the plugs' condition. worn plugs will sumtimes cause missfire and the deposits would dampen their performance. go for iridium plugs for best performace, they last the longest....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As a top Malaysian racer and on both four and two wheels, Adi Haslam was dealt a cruel hand by fate as a motocross accident in 1997 robbed him of his ability to walk and rendered him wheelchair-bound until the K4GP 24-Hours Endurance landed on our shores.

Forming his own team for the race, Adi was back behind the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience