Paint chip damage

igor30

Known Member
Jun 3, 2004
Yo bros..I got a question here.My paint is chipping pretty terribly.It's mostly at the front bumper.I hv brought to shop few times end up painting the whole bumper ( touch up ) and I got fed up of that as well.How can I DIY this problem.Eg I'm thinking of buying the paint and the 2K while touch it up myself.Will it be effective for me to DIY.What shld the steps likely.:wink:
Pld feed back sifuus...:smile:

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Firstly, find out the source of the problem. Why is it chipping? Cheap paint? I haven't had the chance to paint a bumper yet, but I have painted a spoiler, and the process is probably similar, if not the same.

1. Sandpaper. If there are no cracks or bad scratches, #450 will do just fine.
2. Cover scratches and cracks with putty. Leave to dry then sandpaper it until it's smooth.
3. Sandpaper some more. After #450, get some #600, and then #800. I forgot to mention, you'll have to use wet sandpaper, meaning not the usual sandpaper you use for woodwork, but the ones you can use on wet surfaces. The sandpaper process will also require you to use water, and keep the surface wet.
4. After all the sandpapering done. Time to paint. If you're using can spray, then it's pretty much straight forward. Other than that, I'm not sure.
5. Spray one light layer after another until you can't see the old colour/putty/etc anymore. Let one layer dry up before doing the next.
6. After you're done with the spraying process, get some #1000~#1200 sandpaper, and do some more wet sandpapering.
7. Final and most crucial step is the finishing. I use a #3000 liquid finishing. You can use it with a buff, or you can do it by hand, whichever is easiest. Slow circular motion. Do it until you get some good reflection effect, or until you're satisfied.

It takes a lot of patience to do this properly. If you're patience is like a 0.1A fuse, then you're better off sending it to a shop. Good luck.

p/s: I've never used 2K, so I don't know how to use them.

igor30

Known Member
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for the brief ..bro...however my bumper just has few paint chips .It's not that obvious frm far.Just at near looks a bit obvious.What i'm planning on is to do some minor touch up by using the chinese paint brush etc ( paintshop call it the pencils ) .Therefore what i'm intending to is after paint few dots on the chipped part..Can I use the clear coat ( laquer or 2K ) to cover it..Doet it look better ???...

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Like I said, I've never used 2K.. I usually just use car spray paint (which is usually laquer paint)

Try it out first, and if you dont like it, redo it. If there's one thing I've learnt is that your car won't remain good looking forever. I have a few scratches and dents on my car, but unless it's really visible, I usually won't bother..

lcloon

Jul 6, 2005
Subang Jaya
Hi there. My front bonnet a 2mm x 1mm paint chip off mayb caused by stones and its starting to rust. How can i slove this? My car is 3 months new unit, should i send to the service center or outside paint shop? if paint shop, any good shop in klang valley that i can go to?

ShadowBurner

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Kepong
Visit site
a

Try ChipsAway. It's located at Section 14, near to the Toyota showroom. Do a google and look for the place. They did a good job to my car, cost RM180 though.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

greetings to all sifu and friends...

1. i need to know what servo double layer can we put into proton waja?

2. cost and which workshop can do that mod?

plzz pm me or whatsapps..016-2250374. i live in shah alam selangor
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience