open pod air filter on Carburator cars..

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
helo.. sorry to kacau again i know i very cheong hei.. juz want ask u all .. coz today i got confused again.. i was asking one of my fren something.. and to cut the story short.. I was told that my carburator car can't put open-pod air filters??

issit true?? he say that only fuel injection cars can put open-pod air filters.. and he say my carb car already got CAI wan coz of the carb and can't put open pod..

so i very confused ady now.. aiyoh. -_- can my 1.3 carb car put open pod air filter?

thanks to those who had helped me in this forum, reli reli appreciate it.. Im very sorry i'm now going back to step one again.. plz help me back on track.. thank you...

Feilo

500 RPM

Feilo

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2005
...Ipoh...
Yes, Carburator car also can put open-pod air filter..... Now wut car are U driving???

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
just bought only.. the new proton saga 1.3 ar...

dunno my fren suddenly tell me carb cars kenot put open pod..
then another fren he say that my car the stock air filter the placing abit different wor .. so can't put .. dunno la...

wait.. how to attach picture ar? i show my engine bay...

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
found out how ady... nah this is the pic...

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
sorry something wrong earlier.... i hope now got pic..

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
is there anything wrong with the placing ? can put open pod air filter right ?

jombiee

500 RPM

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
1. you need air ram to fix cone type filter - need CAI
2. drop in performance filter like, replacing the standard element
3. Top mount - need CAI
4. no filter ! no housing ! - really need CAI & weekly cleaning

cheers

Feilo

500 RPM

Feilo

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2005
...Ipoh...
MrKoo said:
sorry something wrong earlier.... i hope now got pic..
Brother dun give the ori pics lar... better get who oledi change the open pod then prove than it really can dun...:)

taqu

Known Member

taqu

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
Here's a sample of open-pod airfilter with adapter for carb.

Here's a sample of K&N airfilter specifically designed for carb :

I prefer the later. If u're too afraid of hot air, u may want to add a scoop onto ur bonnet (think Kancil L2 or Subaru Impreza bonnet) to get fresh air from outside, or forward a CAI pipe close to ur airfilter, just like normal CAI.

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
wahliao... im very very impressed with u all la... thanks so much for the pictures and proof la that my car can...

now i think all i need after the open pod air filter and adapter is the CAI ... wooohoo!!

thanks weih all of u .. reli reli appreciate..

fred din get your reply la bro..! sorryyy.. tot u sien of layaning my cheong hei questions ady.. hehehhh!

k3vi3

Known Member

k3vi3

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
ss3 pj
chucky, what brand is your whole filter assembly? coz the adaptor looks beaut!
mine is just the chapalang RM55 steel adaptor which is quite dull, and i like the way you did the extension to the battery area, its what im planning to do later with a Ultra Racing stainless steel mesh filter lol.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
MrKoo said:
wahliao... im very very impressed with u all la... thanks so much for the pictures and proof la that my car can...

now i think all i need after the open pod air filter and adapter is the CAI ... wooohoo!!

thanks weih all of u .. reli reli appreciate..

fred din get your reply la bro..! sorryyy.. tot u sien of layaning my cheong hei questions ady.. hehehhh!
aik i send to u edi worr...

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
ahahahaaa fred replied u ady... :biggrin:

anyway.. i notice the difference between the air filters in these two pics... one is longer.. one shorter.. how come ar??

issit one is using long ram pipe and one short ram pipe?
or it has nothing to do with the long/short ram pipe..?

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
MrKoo said:
ahahahaaa fred replied u ady... :biggrin:

anyway.. i notice the difference between the air filters in these two pics... one is longer.. one shorter.. how come ar??

issit one is using long ram pipe and one short ram pipe?
or it has nothing to do with the long/short ram pipe..?

one is without extension

another one is wit 3" extension pipe(if im not mistaken) to make it longer....coz his CAI is in front there....cun cun blow to his filter...

hayabuza

1,000 RPM

hayabuza

1,000 RPM
Jul 22, 2005
Klang
Hi...bout the air ram thingy...impressive piece of mod to me...the most impressive part is how the connection from the adapter to the air filter end...is it the same size...i mean 3" all the way or smaller?

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
hayabuza said:
Hi...bout the air ram thingy...impressive piece of mod to me...the most impressive part is how the connection from the adapter to the air filter end...is it the same size...i mean 3" all the way or smaller?
should be 3inch all the way as seen from the photo

juz use a 3inch rubber to conect two 3''pipe

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
evo5229 said:
wooo...nice job for u all...this is mine..haih..so p[ia seh....ahh cheap 1..im goin 2 get APEXI air filter soon....but the adapter got any nice 1 arr....if i change nice 1..the sharp also look like mine now????
no point to change filter

if u wan beter effect...do a CAI n longer piping(rampipe)...to avoid sucking hot air(wil cause bad fc n power)

k3vi3

Known Member

k3vi3

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
ss3 pj
or if you want more 'yeng' do naca duct just before the filter and heatshield the duct :D

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
I notice this adaptor silver wan... like different from the rest... how come ar?
and where to get the extension? the long ram pipe...

hayabuza

1,000 RPM

hayabuza

1,000 RPM
Jul 22, 2005
Klang
Yep...totally different. usually the accesory shop sell the normal ones not this type..where to get?i think the ram pipe is custom made...maybe la...coz im only guessing...

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
ram pipe, i can get for u guys if u want....2 inch, 3 inch no probs...pm me for further information :biggrin:

crave4modify

crave4modify

Sep 29, 2005
i have done my own mod on this. i'll post up the latest pic of my engine bay soon... hehe tested my car for long travel easily goes to max speed but scary though its noot feel tht the car fly but it felt tht the car go more lower to the road maybe its just too much G

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
horr fred doing business here arh?? hehhehee! :biggrin: welcomee.. and i will find u if i wanna buy the ram pipe ok bro!!

crave4modify said:
i have done my own mod on this. i'll post up the latest pic of my engine bay soon... hehe tested my car for long travel easily goes to max speed but scary though its noot feel tht the car fly but it felt tht the car go more lower to the road maybe its just too much G
modding air filter can cause car to go lower wan ar? weird....

skyline2778

Known Member

skyline2778

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Sban
Tis my open air pod...... :biggrin:
Tis will suck more hot air ha???Maybe i should get longer air ram...?

Last edited:

hayabuza

1,000 RPM

hayabuza

1,000 RPM
Jul 22, 2005
Klang
Bro fstrader...80mm is equal to 3.2". U think it can fit my air filter or not? Here's some pic of my air filter...

ChuckY

Known Member

ChuckY

Known Member
Apr 15, 2005
Bukit OUG
soree didnt log on...my adapter bought from one shop at sunway,its ready made.as for the pipe is custom made to make it longer. it does have better suction of cool air from front but bcos its too long so performance wise rpm hard to go up fast...i suggest short ram but longer CAI..juz my 2 cents

Last edited:

taqu

Known Member

taqu

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Visit site

I believe this UFO-shaped airfilter is what u need if u mod ur engine for mid/upper-RPM (eg racing camshaf), coz it has shorter effective intake length. Don't be too afraid of hot air, carbs are less sensitive to hot air compare to EFI :smile:

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
taqu said:

I believe this UFO-shaped airfilter is what u need if u mod ur engine for mid/upper-RPM (eg racing camshaf), coz it has shorter effective intake length. Don't be too afraid of hot air, carbs are less sensitive to hot air compare to EFI :smile:
Are you 100% sure ..?? Carbs less sensitive to hot air compare to EFI ? Can someone plz confirm this..??
Coz if really true then i dun have to spend so much ler to mod my carb filter to open pod one... just do that one up there...
So can someone plzzzz confirm wat taqu said up there..?

anyway my car dun have racing camshaft (not like wat taqu said up there..) , so how? aiyork............ -_-

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
MrKoo said:
Are you 100% sure ..?? Carbs less sensitive to hot air compare to EFI ? Can someone plz confirm this..??
Coz if really true then i dun have to spend so much ler to mod my carb filter to open pod one... just do that one up there...
So can someone plzzzz confirm wat taqu said up there..?

anyway my car dun have racing camshaft (not like wat taqu said up there..) , so how? aiyork............ -_-
up tat photo is using KNN filter which cost few hundred...i dun think other brand got such model of filter (unsure)

if u do piping wit a 3" open port filter..is not cause u so much

juz see which one u prefer...juz do it...no harm man....no panic...

carb not ecu..maybe not so sensitis as efi(control by ecu)...

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
huakenny said:
up tat photo is using KNN filter which cost few hundred...i dun think other brand got such model of filter (unsure)

if u do piping wit a 3" open port filter..is not cause u so much

juz see which one u prefer...juz do it...no harm man....no panic...

carb not ecu..maybe not so sensitis as efi(control by ecu)...
thank u huakenny..

actually.. if it's really true that carb filter dun have to worry so much bout hot air.. then i rather just put that KNN filter up there lor.. the round ufo-shape wan...

coz right now, plannin to do open pod... but if i do open pod, i gotta get alot of things.. the adapter, ram pipe, and air filter... All three things from different people/places... So quite mafan la hope u noe wat i talking about... >__<
Somemore the CAI also must get from another person.. wah...

Tats why now if it's true bout wat taqu said up there... And the power between that ufo-shape KNN filter and open pod KNN filter is the same, then i rather choose the ufo-shape one rite..?

sooo helpppp... someone plz confirm wid me...

heheee kenny, no la not panic... but i the type of people who, once i do something, reli want to do it correct wan lor.. if do wrong i reli very frustrated wan.. >_< and not like i very rich to change here change there if do mistake... so reli hope u good people here will help.... i noe i reli very fannnnn u all ady.. sorry sorryy... :turtle:

calvin9683

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
i'm driving 1.3 wira carb...
if u say carb is less sensitive to hot air..mayb its true...
but cold air will certainly improve the performance...coz i notice quite some diff when i driving at night....somemore the filter originally already sambung to the front to suck in cooler air....

its from my experience...just my 0.00002 cents.....
p.s: my car is 100% stock....

taqu

Known Member

taqu

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
Carb need warmer air than EFI to help the atomization of fuel being mixed with air. If u still too afraid of air being too hot, use the UFO-shaped airfilter and use back the old airbox scoop that leads to the grille, or to the extreme(crazy), remove ur bonnet :biggrin:

MrKoo

Known Member

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
good morning...
hahahaha thanks la taqu and everybody...
but i think made up my mind la.. just get the open pod one la.. sambung ram pipe nearer to front .. dun care ady!
mafan damn lot ppl and ask too much questions about open pod ady, if dun get it wasted.. hahahaa!!!! no la just jokin... but yeah.. gettin' open pod ady.. thankss!! :smile:

k3vi3

Known Member

k3vi3

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
ss3 pj
i have a stupid question lah...
you know the mini filter we put at the engine head once we change to open pod? my engine has been leaking oil through that filter for a while now, and i dont know why, and its really irrtating that my timing belt and whole engine bay is slicked with oil...has this happened to any of you before? i got tid of that filter, btw and my mechanic he extended a rubber hose from the hole to the bottom of the engine bay and im not sure wether the engine will kong faster or not since the hole isnt filtered....