Oil Catch Tank- Is it important??

goosfrabar

Known Member

goosfrabar

Known Member
Mar 20, 2005
Pee Jay
Visit site
Guys, What is the function of the oil catch tank?

Is it important to have ah or izzit a mandatory.

What does it do anyway besides collecting accessive oil?

how come the engine oil can be sucked out to it?

Aiayya..sorry la so many questions, i'm just very confused:confused:
so ppl say not important, but some ppl say must put or your air flow sensor can kong. so which one is it?

can somebody explain to me ah.....anybody.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Actually, the OCT is to avoid oil passing through your throttle body during high RPM. When an engine is on high RPM the oil pressure will sure be high.

The original hose is from the engine head cover back to the air intake before TB. This is to act as a circulation for the oil vapour. So after somewhile, this oil vapour will stick to the throttle body and make the TB sticky. So the OCT is to avoid oil build up inside the TB and intake manifold.
Correct me if I'm wrong...;)

goosfrabar

Known Member

goosfrabar

Known Member
Mar 20, 2005
Pee Jay
Visit site
TitanRev said:
Actually, the OCT is to avoid oil passing through your throttle body during high RPM. When an engine is on high RPM the oil pressure will sure be high.

The original hose is from the engine head cover back to the air intake before TB. This is to act as a circulation for the oil vapour. So after somewhile, this oil vapour will stick to the throttle body and make the TB sticky. So the OCT is to avoid oil build up inside the TB and intake manifold.
Correct me if I'm wrong...;)
thank u titan rev.....that makes sense. but some ppl also said that the oil vapour is to lubricate the TB. but is it possible that the vapour could also bring dust that can jam the TB?:)

Zeroed

1,500 RPM

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Why would the TB need lubrication? Get clogged up with oil more like it...heheh.

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM

szekeiemme

3,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
TB no need lubrication ehehhe.. its for air oni ma..if u r driving a carbie.. den i say its adviseable to use OCT.. my frens kancil.. damn alot of oil catche.. ehhee.. if not he say his air filter will be flooded wif oil..

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
fuel injection need oil catch tank oso i think (correct me if im wrong)....if oso not sure bout OCT but most performance cars with heavy mods will put in a OCT...

maybe to supply enuf engine oil when revving....izzit? OCT acts like a spare oil tank

hybridnos

Known Member

hybridnos

Known Member
Apr 21, 2004
kelantan
huakenny said:
fuel injection need oil catch tank oso i think (correct me if im wrong)....if oso not sure bout OCT but most performance cars with heavy mods will put in a OCT...

maybe to supply enuf engine oil when revving....izzit? OCT acts like a spare oil tank
no laa...

when high rev plus high boost....oil will be overflow... there the important OCT is..

Joeker

Walking Dead

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Oil catch tank is applicable to all engines, regardless carb, EFI, MFI, S.I. even C.I. engines.

goosfrabar

Known Member

goosfrabar

Known Member
Mar 20, 2005
Pee Jay
Visit site
Joeker said:
Oil catch tank is applicable to all engines, regardless carb, EFI, MFI, S.I. even C.I. engines.
ok, i'm driving an altezza with minimal mod. but whenever i open the air filter i always find a lot of oil around the cover (on the inside). so does that mean i have to use OCT. Plus when the tank catches the oil, will the oil be pumped back in?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Goosfrabar, the oil will stays inside the OCT. It would not go back to the TB.

badbadguy

badbadguy

Apr 28, 2005
unless moded 99 if not u will not need the OCT because
engine engineer also not put it in (unless u think u clever than them)
and engine design to its 70% usage without add in any thing and the engine can run without any problem (except tear and wear)
so if OCT is important (for just few hundred buck to save the engine??) y not the design engineer put it in????????

just my 2 cents

tintin

Known Member

tintin

Known Member
Nov 28, 2003
PJ
This may be a little out of topic, but can someone explain the proper tubing routing of the OCT for 4G93T? I've heard many ways of routing it but never can come to a conclusion. There are 2 outlets on the cam cover - 1 on the top side on the right and another bottom left on the side. So how?

tintin

cheeft

1,000 RPM

cheeft

1,000 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
for those tat usually rev their car till redline is advisable to use oct...

Joeker

Walking Dead

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
badbadguy said:
and engine design to its 70% usage without add in any thing and the engine can run without any problem (except tear and wear)
so if OCT is important (for just few hundred buck to save the engine??) y not the design engineer put it in????????

just my 2 cents
VERY GOOD POINT.

Have u also considered the fact that Proton car are so easily broken in, why the hell does Proton not lift a finger about it? its about the dollars and cents.
One car, few hundred, multiply that by tens of thousands of cars and you end up with a cost increase by the miliions of ringgit

Anyhow, when Engine makers design an engine, they are not only think about performance and reliability but also enviroment issues and cost effectiveness.

When we mod our cars, I think most of us emphazise on performance while the other criterias mentioned earlier takes a back seat.

U remind of another ZTH member who once said "If stock Proton 1.3 cannot do 200km/h, then why did Proton engineer spend so much money to put 200km/h speedometer"

Joeker

Walking Dead

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
cheeft said:
for those tat usually rev their car till redline is advisable to use oct...
Whether u rev your engine hard or not, blow by, fumes and oil vapor will still be drawn into the intake because it is part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.

The harder the engine works, the more gunk will be deposited into the OCT.

"It is inevitable,...it is your destiny....." Emperor Palpatine / ROTJ

acbc

4,000 RPM

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Yes Joeker... ever since the OCT installation... my TB n the intake is A LOT cleaner... no more oily gunk or crap.

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
i juz got my ideas on how OCT works.....its to catch d oil from going to throotle body when high rev....tat is d reason y my evo so oily....no OCT...now i knew d reason....

toyFan

Known Member

toyFan

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
badbadguy said:

just my 2 cents
My wira1.6, not a mod 99 one, once i installed a DIY OCT by using wira 1.5 fuel filter, 2 months time, i collected quater height of engine oil. :eek: :eek: :eek:

you wont regret to install a OCT. :cool: :cool:

PS: I dont have a mod 99 car and i am average joe driver, never rev more than 3.5k rpm. :D :D :D

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Yoooo.....kenny, why you got so many GENG car wan...Huh ???
Got EVo, Impreza then Kenari summore....Whats your job ah...?
Can i join ah ?:D

Jackal

Known Member

Jackal

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
tintin said:
This may be a little out of topic, but can someone explain the proper tubing routing of the OCT for 4G93T? I've heard many ways of routing it but never can come to a conclusion. There are 2 outlets on the cam cover - 1 on the top side on the right and another bottom left on the side. So how?

tintin
normaly will be the on 1 on the top aka PCV that connect to the intake manifold...

tintin

Known Member

tintin

Known Member
Nov 28, 2003
PJ
Jackal said:
normaly will be the on 1 on the top aka PCV that connect to the intake manifold...
then the outlet on the left? where does it go to?

Joeker

Walking Dead

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
toyFan said:
My wira1.6, not a mod 99 one, once i installed a DIY OCT by using wira 1.5 fuel filter, 2 months time, i collected quater height of engine oil.
Quarter of your engine oil gone in 2 months time?!? thats a sign your engine is not well. Better have your mechanic check it out.

Oil catch tank is also an indicator of your engine's health.

If oil deposits is very high over a short period, then there is something wrong with the engine.

huakenny

LB Performance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
titanrev,

ei..dun tell people la...my family got many cars one actually..car freak....maybe d money no other things to spend.....haha

luckily din get d forestor las month...so now buy hse oledi....Shisssssssss.dian diam...haha

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Hehe...part time student..only

then part time.......

lonewolf

1,000 RPM

lonewolf

1,000 RPM
Jun 3, 2004
izzit important for me to flow back to gas from OCT back to the throttle body?..or can i just shut to hole up.

toyFan

Known Member

toyFan

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Joeker said:
Quarter of your engine oil gone in 2 months time?!? thats a sign your engine is not well. Better have your mechanic check it out.

Oil catch tank is also an indicator of your engine's health.

If oil deposits is very high over a short period, then there is something wrong with the engine.
Oopps, me mistake!
actually, quater of the oil filter was filled with oil, not quater of my engine oil gone!! Sorry sorry :p :p

lekalo

500 RPM

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
like good only this thing! I think I wanna get lah. Never got it b4! Wonder how it can help a lo-average revving engine with a driver who doesn't know how to drive his car.

dolly

500 RPM

dolly

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
i dont know about you, but companies will spend millions if they can cut cost by even 50 cents. Imagine, you build 1million cars, each car you can save 50 cents, how much would that have saved you >_>

Darth

Known Member

Darth

Known Member
May 10, 2005
Selangor
Covers:

4-Cylinder Engine (NA)
4-Cylinder Turbo Engine

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system ventilates the air in the cylinder head to equalize the pressure built up in the engine crankcase. The fumes are vented into the intake system to be burned up along with the air and fuel mixture. Although this improves the car's emissions, this results in three problems.
1) The crankcase gases enter the engine along with the air and fuel, cutting down on the amount of fresh, clean air the cylinders receive. Although there's a very small amount, it's always better for fresh, clean air to enter the cylinders rather than engine gases.
2) The engine gases are hot, and will increase the temperature of the air in the intake manifold. Remember, for every 10° increase in intake air temperature, you'll lose about 1% of the engine's horsepower.
3) Worst of all, the fumes contain vaporized oil which coats your intake manifold. When the piston rings begin to wear, blow-by increases and will cause a back up, resulting in the fumes exiting out the fresh air breather tube... where air is normally suppose to enter. The oil in the blow-by fumes will be blown through the intake and coat everything from the breather tube inlet to the throttle body with an oily film. If you have a turbo, this will include the intercooler and turbo. As the oily film builds up, a substantial decrease in performance will occur, including engine problems such as low idling and stalling.

Many Probes with over 100,000 miles on them suffer from excessive blow-by. After cleaning out my GT's intake system of a coating of oil and soot, I looked for a solution to this problem, short of replacing the piston rings. Although a higher flowing PCV valve is usually recommended at this point, it's not a cure. The solution turned out to be reverting the engine to a PCV system from older cars. Older cars took in fresh air through breather tube filters. Removing the breather tube intake from the engine's intake system and placing a filter on the end instead meant that the oily gases would no longer be able enter into the engine's intake system. Repeating the procedure for the PCV valve end of the system would keep the gases from mixing with the fresh air entering the engine. Although a pretty good idea, I'm pretty sure this is breaking emission codes. It's very easy and costs about $10

This is the original set up, with black hoses.

The stock PCV valve and outlet hose

The new PCV valve, hose, and filter.

The stock breather hose connecting to the intake boot.

The new breather tube and filter.

Results

It took a couple of days for the oil that built up since the intake cleaning to disappear. Since then, the idle has been much smoother. One month after installation, I check the filters. The inner part of the PCV filter had yellowed from the gases. The breather tube filter turned light tan from the oil film. It was nice to know that this crap was no longer entering my engine. I'll probably change the filters every two months (about $3).

After two months, the PCV side started browning from the oil. The breather side was pretty saturated with oil, but not enough to clog or to drip. I changed the original hoses with black ones. Looks better now. I replaced both filters, giving both sides the large, higher flowing filter type

:D ...or used OCT.............

lekalo

500 RPM

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
ahh.. so that's y some say OCT's contribute to a bit of pollution!