New Tyres for my Chery Tiggo SUV

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
2 months back started searching for tyres to replace the aging ones on my 4 years plus Chery SUV. Even though still have about some 40% thread pattern balance, however the sidewall near the shoulder pattern have started to have fine crack lines and the thread pattern rubber have harden.
My tyre size of 235/60R16 got a few to choose from. Passenger car Conti CC5, BS new GR-100, GY Efficient Grip SUV or Yokohama Geolandar H/T or their New Geolandar SUV to name a few.
Previous tyres were Conti CC1 that came with the car, so did not want the CC5. No H/T tyres because it will be noisy, so finally decided to try the New Yokohama Geolandar SUV said to be quiet, Comfy and have good rolling resistance.

Fitted them at Quicksave, USJ.

235/60R16 size Yokohama Geolandar SUV tyres

Close up of thread pattern

Mounted on the SUV rims

Finish mounting all 4 tyres

Going for alignment

Alignment being done

Completed.

Initial drive out from Quicksave, can feel that they are more quiet, anyway new tyres should be, but feel that they were slightly more comfortable only. So when reached home, took out my air pressure gauge to check the air pressure.
All four tyres with 35psi, the tyre shop personnel was not wrong because that is the recommended air pressure for a loaded SUV, but in town I use the lowest recommended and that is 30psi. After reducing all to 30psi can feel the SUV was much more comfortable... :biggrin:
Running over the yellow lines, previously a lot of thump thump thump, now a more quiet tub, tub, tub.... :adore:

Now, after about 3 weeks plus of use, the tyres seems to have run in further. It felt even more quiet and comfortable. As this is a family SUV, I drive my VR slightly more then this SUV, my wife drives it too so what is better to ask her for her opinion too.
She only knows that the tyres have been changed, but she do not know much about tyres. So when I ask her how she felt about the tyres, she said more quiet and much more comfortable. This is in comparison to the previous set of passenger car tyre the Conti CC1. What shock me more was she added, but I feel the SUV now does not slow down much when I decelerate. So I told her this tyre have low rolling resistance and this suppose to aid in better fuel economy. If this came from her without her knowing then the tyre really have good rolling resistance..... :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

However this tyre pattern seems to pick up small pebbles. Not a major issue as they do fall off too as the amount does not build up....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
treadwear rating is above 400 rite?
your tiggo must be on comfort suspension setting and it does not weigh that much as reducing the tire pressure improved comfort level.

my falken stz at tire with 500 treadwear rating is super long lasting
only 30% used after abt 3 yrs.
hard sidewal but noise can be consider quiet for an at rubber.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
treadwear rating is above 400 rite?
your tiggo must be on comfort suspension setting and it does not weigh that much as reducing the tire pressure improved comfort level.

my falken stz at tire with 500 treadwear rating is super long lasting
only 30% used after abt 3 yrs.
hard sidewal but noise can be consider quiet for an at rubber.
Threadwear rating is 600 for this Yoko rubber.
Not sure if the suspension is on comfort setting as with 35psi the bounce can be more harsh.
Your Falken STZ is the STZ04 model? Looks more like H/T tyres pattern similar to the Geolandar G051 model thread pattern.
My previous tyres are passenger car tyre, Conti CC1. Car is 4 years plus, and I bought the previous year of manufacture car, so tyres are coming 5 years. Sidewall starting to have fine crack lines. Thread pattern rubber also harden so better to change them even though still have around 40% thread pattern balance

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Merdeka weekend went on outstation trip. Increase air pressure to 220kpa as I usually increase it for outstation trip because of slightly heavier load and higher speed. Was a bit surprised with the slight increase of air pressure the tyres were quite bumpy at higher speed (90 to 100kph) on uneven trunk road. On smooth road, however they were very stable and steering was pretty precise.
On the highway they were pretty good. Stable and planted. Went through a heavy shower along the way and with no aquaplaning issue.
On noise issue it depends a lot on the road. Even on tarred road, on some it was quiet and on some not so quiet. On concrete part of the highway as usual, different tyre noise with different pitch.
Overall, very happy with the tyres...... :top:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Very big longkangs.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
yes,mine is the 04 model.
last weekend had a conversation with my dad.he might want to let go the current 16inch wheel the pajero is on.
i kinda like it as its steel type and really suit 4x4.

slight increase with huge effect means yr sidewall is super stiff.
good for handling.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
After 4 months and more then 5k km on the Yokohama Geolandar SUV tyres, they are still going strong. Hardly any wear even on the front 2 drive wheels. Rears like no wear at all....hahhahhahha

Front left tyre - slightly more wear on the left shoulder, probably due to many roundabout at my area

Front right tyre - only slight wear even after 5k km

Left rear tyre - like brand new still

Right rear tyres - also hardly any wear after 5k km. Maybe pick up more small pebbles....hahhahhaha

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
so....now i knew why new forester used this tyre :biggrin:

but drivers in oversea currently hated this tyre in winter/light snow..... :rofl:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

but drivers in oversea currently hated this tyre in winter/light snow..... :rofl:
Thread pattern too pampered looking.will only trap dirt/snow/mud thus drifting will begin in no time.
but,this thread will pleased your ear and better grip in our rainy seaso .

even my falken stz at oso slide in light mud but maybe due to my throttle action.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Even though rated M+S, I feel the pattern is too fine for m + s. Cannot dig into mud, probably snow as well, but good for tarmac.....:biggrin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Even though rated M+S, I feel the pattern is too fine for m + s. Cannot dig into mud, probably snow as well, but good for tarmac.....:biggrin:
Such pattern wont dig but just scrape the surface and let the mud/snow stuck on the thread.most at are oso the same.

maybe u should try the tire on some plantation,its fun when the tire start to loose traction at low speed as most of us are more associated with losing traction as high speed.
in my case its even boggling at some time thinking how a 2 ton pajero can slide gracefully in thin mud.

Tiggo is full time 2wd rite.if not then u have an excuse to work the 4x4 drivetrain.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Such pattern wont dig but just scrape the surface and let the mud/snow stuck on the thread.most at are oso the same.

maybe u should try the tire on some plantation,its fun when the tire start to loose traction at low speed as most of us are more associated with losing traction as high speed.
in my case its even boggling at some time thinking how a 2 ton pajero can slide gracefully in thin mud.

Tiggo is full time 2wd rite.if not then u have an excuse to work the 4x4 drivetrain.
Nope, H/T tyres more rugged then these SUV tyres and A/T even more rough, then M/T.

Tiggo is 2WD only, cannot go off road....hhahhahaha:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

3 Grades of GT-R : There has been a lot of conflicting information regarding the various grades of GT-R to be sold but this time around Best Car report on actual printed advertising material sent out to Nissan dealers in advance of the preorder starting date. The advertising handbills (they’re not actually sales brochures) clearly state the 3 grades of GT-R to be sold with their associated prices and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience