Myvi 1.5SE Vogtland progressive springs problem noisy

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
Hi guys i'm having an issue with my springs and it has been a huge pain. I am on 195/55/R15 tires and on stock absorbers, i swapped my original springs and changed to vogtland progressive springs.
Im having a lot of noise from the rear as i go over humps... "klonk klonk" metal hitting noise which is annoying for a year old car. I have no other modification/accidents whatsoever

I have checked and double checked everything is tightened and the springs are sitting properly, mountings are ok and confirmed by my mech. All i can see is that my springs are binding as i see scratches on the progressive part of my springs. Please help me out here guys i appreciate your expertise

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You wanna DIY? This is the springs bottoming out on each other. Simple DIY would be to buy those wire tidy-er black wraps and just wrap the springs where it's touching (credits for this idea goes to Drexchan) or just find some garden hose and wrap the affected area with the hose. Sometimes duct-tape might do the trick too but that's messy to remove.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Its what you said, its binding cause they are too soft with less travel distance. You can the stuff izso suggested, or change to stock springs. Another issue is that, even if you do what izso said, IF your car is bottoming out it is hitting the bump stops, it won't fix the problem either.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Sometimes is just simple coil spring pad when they removed and put it back without matching the thread of the pads, a harden pads will makes ur spring 'kluk kluk klonk klonk' :biggrin:

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
@Izso thanks for your reply, actually i have installed small plastic pipes at the top and bottom part of the springs to reduce its contact, but coming to say when i was buying these springs I did not expect them to make this kind of noise as the progressive part touched each other. Is this a design flaw? i mean if it were cheap springs i would not mind. And is it dangerous as the springs are bottoming out, im concerned about the safety aswell.

@ixeo yes i dont mind going back to stock the part i hate is the stock ride height :) and i chose these springs as they are not too low either, just wanted to lower my center of gravity to make better handling for my daily drive

@desmond0318 yes but the rears dont have pads except for the rubber mounts.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
yup exactly that rubber bush mount can cause the anonying noise, can give a try is only few riggits per side :biggrin:

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
@desmond0318 would try it out but i guess its a design issue as the whole springs are binding too easily. Which in my case should not be happening

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
desmond0318, the progressive part of the springs is touching each other, this is my first time using progressive springs and i do not know why should the whole progressive part undergo compression till the spring body scratches. I got back to the shop i bought the springs from and even they don't have a solution as yet.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry just notice you're using progressive springs. Will the shop refund or exchange since it's really the quality's problems?

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
desmond0318 actually the shop i bought is a friends place so i am sure they will work something out for me. But currently the boss is checking with the distributor as he sold a few other units and no issue.I will still get back to the shop after giving them some time. Im just hoping for no long term effects on the absorbers or my car body

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
actually the sound you experienced is the rear coil spring slides out from the spring seat when the rear axle moves away from the body, ie going through speed bumps, when the car drives through a speed bump, the car will hop a bit, and that is the time the axle drops down, and so is the spring, and when the car lands back on the ground, the spring will be pressed back into spring seat along with a very loud clunk sound, i have experienced with my kenari, try adding some hoses to the upper side of the spring, make sure the spring needs to be squeezed into the upper spring seat, and that will solve your problem.
CCheers!

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

as long as you can manage to make the coil spring doesn't drop down when the axle is stretched, you should be able to sole your problem.
and remember, upper side of the spring only, if you add upper and lower side the rear will be too high.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

and the spring binding sound usually produce NYEK NYEK sound, seldom have bang sound.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

desmond0318, the progressive part of the springs is touching each other, this is my first time using progressive springs and i do not know why should the whole progressive part undergo compression till the spring body scratches. I got back to the shop i bought the springs from and even they don't have a solution as yet.
even if you exchange will also be the same, the spring will scratch on each other,

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
actually the sound you experienced is the rear coil spring slides out from the spring seat when the rear axle moves away from the body, ie going through speed bumps, when the car drives through a speed bump, the car will hop a bit, and that is the time the axle drops down, and so is the spring, and when the car lands back on the ground, the spring will be pressed back into spring seat along with a very loud clunk sound, i have experienced with my kenari, try adding some hoses to the upper side of the spring, make sure the spring needs to be squeezed into the upper spring seat, and that will solve your problem.
CCheers!

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

as long as you can manage to make the coil spring doesn't drop down when the axle is stretched, you should be able to sole your problem.
and remember, upper side of the spring only, if you add upper and lower side the rear will be too high.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

and the spring binding sound usually produce NYEK NYEK sound, seldom have bang sound.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

even if you exchange will also be the same, the spring will scratch on each other,
Thanks for your reply, Yes my mech did install rubber hoses on the top and the bottom of the springs but it only helped a bit. This time i will make sure it is compressed into spring seat. Are there any long term effects to the car?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi my fd2 civic keeps steering to the left. Its harder to turn right than left. I brought it to many diff mechanics. According to one it's the arm. Another says it's the knuckle. When I brought it to Honda they say it's steering gear and it cost 6k to repair. What should i do? Thanks for any opinions. =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience