muffler choice

i.k.

Apr 25, 2005
i recently visited a muffler shop in sunway and realised that i was spoilt for choice, there are just so many types of mufflers available. i already have an extractor and mid section installed (2.3) on my 1.8 putra. could someone tell me what i should be looking out for/consider before purchasing a muffler?
and what are the main differences between imported ones ($$$) and locally produced ones ($)?

ahwl

Nov 15, 2003
Auckland
It all depends mate. Are you willing to spend more on good quality or rather u want something to just tahan for a short while say 1 year. Look at the quality of the muffler. Emm in my experience, if the perforated tube which is the tube inside the muffler has got small tiny holes, the smaller the better and say if the muffler diameter is 5 inch and the inside perforated tube is 3 inch then probably they have 2 inch of packing inside. Emm see if u can see any steel wool inside behind the perforated tubes. Depends also wat they use,eg cotton or e-glass which is similiar to fibreglass but use in high temp conditions. Becareful as some of them use charcoal to pack..

Piping wise i would say run 2 inch better or depends on which rpm you want the power to come on..high end ,low end, midrange?

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
i was wondering got any mufflers that arent straight through but give some good gains without ear spilting noise that any of you know of? and would a 2.5 inch exhaust be good enough to use on n/a and turbo application without losing too much power on the n/a side?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I.k. you use S-Flow exhaust lah. very silent also wont lose too many power.
S-Flow is very good unless u have a Turbo charged car you can go for straight flow.

ahwl

Nov 15, 2003
Auckland
Hi mate,

Depends on your application and the looks that you are going for. Have a look at the website. www.howstuffworks.com . Lots of knowledge to be gained there and from there on , you may be able to decide instead of ppl telling you what is good and what is bad. Ok la good luck and have fun :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, would like to know what is the rough estimate of EP82 halfcut ? looking for 4EFTE.

any place to recomend ?

Also, do you think it can be fitted onto a myvi ? is it expensive to mod a mounting or 2 ?

please share your thoughts guys.

thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience