Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR.

Glory_manunited

Known Member
Jul 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys. I'm new here. I am looking for Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR. I know it is hard to find and the price is quite "something".hehe... One question that I would like to ask is how to know wether that car is really Evo 8 MR?? I know that from factory there is an emblem at his rear trunk. But how am I want to know for the second hand car?? Is there somewhere I can look because bodykit can be replace. People might convert from Evo 7 to Evo 8. And also another thing, how to compare Evo 8 MR and GSR through physical (factory standard)

Cheers guy.

Attachments

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
there is 2fin at the both side of the roof...the roof is made from alu..bbs rims...year made 2004...td05 10.5T turbo( engrave on the turbo)..black interior..meter cluster is lancer evo8 is written evolution...momo steering is fully black

Glory_manunited

Known Member
Jul 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you so much. I will definitely try to search more in the internet for the differences. But it also good if anyone that already had it to post it out here.

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
here is the exact specs
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

As per my list in your query in the other thread plus more information on the differences. :)

If the guy went all the way to convert it to a full 8 MR including the tricked up AYC, lsd gearbox and roof, then you essentially have a 8 MR because both the GSR and MR share the same chassis code ie. CT9A-SJGFZ

download this and have a read. It does not get any more concise than this. Applies for all Evo except USDM models (i think mitsubishi watered down their versions hence the specs are different) http://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/MLR%20Evo%20Buyers%20Guide%20v1_00.zip

Also a note with the cluster, MR buyers had the option to choose either Lancer or Evolution wording when buying the car new from factory in japaland

Checkout EvolutionOZ and lancer register if you need more information.

Last edited:

Glory_manunited

Known Member
Jul 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you so much mr.mototo.a very helpfull info and precise explaination.now i can start my serch my dream evo8.but 1 more thing that confuse me...what is GSR??is it all evo standard is GSR and MR is the sport version of it??or there is another spec that is standard??also what is the different between lancer and evo??very confuse here...

Last edited:

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Thank you so much mr.mototo.a very helpfull info and precise explaination.now i can start my serch my dream evo8.but 1 more thing that confuse me...what is GSR??is it all evo standard is GSR and MR is the sport version of it??or there is another spec that is standard??also what is the different between lancer and evo??very confuse here...
GSR is the trim
There are RS and GSR trim for every generation of Lancer Evolution with the exception of EVO IX as it have GT trim as well(In between GSR and RS-5 SPD MT,Mechanical 1.5way Rear LSD,No Rear Wiper,Alcantara seat instead of leather + alcantara in GSR...)
EVO VIII MR is the next Evolution after EVO VIII and yes,there are RS and GSR trim as well
I am sure you know the difference of it already
As for identifying the identity of the car,look at chassis code and the grant(2004 Model Year,EVO VIII is 2003 Model Year)
Also EVO VIII MR have exclusive colour which is graphite grey

Glory_manunited

Known Member
Jul 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you so much evo fans..wish me luck in finding my evo...but still thinking wether to sell or not my converted EJ7 to 99 spec...love the car very much...:frown:

[email protected]

Known Member
Mar 1, 2009
You won't regret buying it :biggrin: i drive one and its such a fantastic car, if you can pick one up in standard condition then thats great, for a performance car of its caliber its also really reliable, as long as you maintain it well with oil changes the engine is practically bulletproof, although do be careful when purchasing, check the car on cold starts as the tapets will need changing over time as they become clogged and "lazy" and misfiring will occur, on cold start if the car only fires on 3 cylinders then this is most likely why. hope this helps you out a little, and happy hunting, again you won't regret it :driver:

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
bro check out this info...it might useful for u..cheers:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

what is mattcy said is true...search for the standard 1(no heavy mod such as cam, piston,turbo) due to durability...u wont regret trust me..:driver:

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
I drive a 8 GSR for a daily. No mods apart from a 8MR metal bov(because the old one was damaged), washable panel filter and 9 bodykit.

Not a drive goes by that I regret. :biggrin:

I still get 450kms average to a tank with squirts here and there and 500kms when i was really babying the car. Interstate driving got me close to 600kms to a tank. I went with a 8 for the extra gear. Now this is with australian weather conditions so it might differ to our hot and humid environment.

My putra when still standard with 4g93 sohc(lancer coupe here) returns about 500kms to a tank for city driving. So its not that much less compared to a NA car.

I'd focus on ensuring the drivetrain is A-OK! If the AYC pump/transfer case/gearbox fails, things are going to be expensive. It is not hard to have these fail either, ignore specified fluid change intervals for these components and you will end up with a bill just as expensive as an engine failure. Mind you, the 4G63 engine is more common than the AYC/transfer case/gearbox specific to an Evo. Also these components require more frequent fluid changes compared to a normal AWD car.

The other thing to check is undercarriage rust. If you see signs of fresh black paint underneath, stay away.

Other than that, good luck hunting and enjoy the drive when you get one.:wink:

Glory_manunited

Known Member
Jul 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
You won't regret buying it :biggrin: i drive one and its such a fantastic car, if you can pick one up in standard condition then thats great, for a performance car of its caliber its also really reliable, as long as you maintain it well with oil changes the engine is practically bulletproof, although do be careful when purchasing, check the car on cold starts as the tapets will need changing over time as they become clogged and "lazy" and misfiring will occur, on cold start if the car only fires on 3 cylinders then this is most likely why. hope this helps you out a little, and happy hunting, again you won't regret it :driver:
Thanx matty...i also want the standard one cos i don't have any experience handling this kind of car....maybe i can join u guys in the future and become one of the family member..lol..

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

bro check out this info...it might useful for u..cheers:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

what is mattcy said is true...search for the standard 1(no heavy mod such as cam, piston,turbo) due to durability...u wont regret trust me..:driver:
Hi oneshot...already checked it . its a very cool info..thanx alot..

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

I drive a 8 GSR for a daily. No mods apart from a 8MR metal bov(because the old one was damaged), washable panel filter and 9 bodykit.

Not a drive goes by that I regret. :biggrin:

I still get 450kms average to a tank with squirts here and there and 500kms when i was really babying the car. Interstate driving got me close to 600kms to a tank. I went with a 8 for the extra gear. Now this is with australian weather conditions so it might differ to our hot and humid environment.

My putra when still standard with 4g93 sohc(lancer coupe here) returns about 500kms to a tank for city driving. So its not that much less compared to a NA car.

I'd focus on ensuring the drivetrain is A-OK! If the AYC pump/transfer case/gearbox fails, things are going to be expensive. It is not hard to have these fail either, ignore specified fluid change intervals for these components and you will end up with a bill just as expensive as an engine failure. Mind you, the 4G63 engine is more common than the AYC/transfer case/gearbox specific to an Evo. Also these components require more frequent fluid changes compared to a normal AWD car.

The other thing to check is undercarriage rust. If you see signs of fresh black paint underneath, stay away.

Other than that, good luck hunting and enjoy the drive when you get one.:wink:
Thanx a lot mr.mototo...u've been a real helpful here...:top: